So, who's heading east next year?

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I doubt we are going to be able to head to Kazakhstan and Mongolia next year, that might have to wait another year so, next year I think we will plan to head a little bit east, maybe Ukraine and surrounding countries. Or maybe up to our cabin in the north of Finland, across into Russia and south and west.

It's difficult to plan just now with varying travel restrictions and covid levels but you have to hope. So the maps are out, options being reviewed.

I've seen a few comments from folk on here about heading east, curious if those comments are going to turn into trips.

Attachments

• 20210904_080419.jpg
    20210904_080419.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 560
I am still hoping (and doing a little planning) to ride to Kiev next year, along with a friend of mine. If not, it will have to be 2023.

By chance there is an article on Bulgaria in one of the German magazines (I can’t read a word of them) I look at in Readly. I’ll dig it out and ping it up at some point.

I am hoping that Monkeyboy's trip to RoB via Pamir Highway will eventually be on next year. The longer the wait the more bike prep with useless bling added to the bike...
Plan C is more realistic, through Europe straight into Russia to Never, Yakutz and Magadan. Fingers crossed

If travel restrictions are eased and a MotoGP round takes place in Finland our planned trip over the top of the Gulf of Bothnia then home via St Petersburg will be resurrected. From St Petersburg to home may involve Belarus and the Ukraine but we’d be tight on time and struggle to do more than a cross border box ticking exercise.

Guess geography wasn't your strong point :D

Enough to know that going further east, will mean he’ll miss his plan to circumnavigate the Black Sea in a clockwise direction.

Off course he could still circumnavigate the sea, by embracing Japan or even San Francisco if he went far enough east and returned. But he might not have enough holiday booked or SWMBO might put her foot down. If the latter, he’ll sit at home, pretending not to watch Britain’s Got Bakers on Ice.

Hi Alistair

Great to hear of your plans (and to see you in Portsoy!).

I hope to ride east in 2022, but realistically the first outing will be a short circuit from Motocamp Bulgaria, possibly Moldova/Ukraine way?) to check out the old 1150 which is approaching its second anniversary sitting in Idilevo and will need at a minimum new battery and tyres. If that goes well, perhaps early autumn foray toward the ‘Stans.

Love that map you posted!

Latest plan, if you can call it that, is to have a swim in the Black Sea. Not sure of the way there, maybe down Italy, ferry to Greece then east and back further north. Romania and Bulgaria look interesting.

Latest plan, if you can call it that, is to have a swim in the Black Sea. Not sure of the way there, maybe down Italy, ferry to Greece then east and back further north. Romania and Bulgaria look interesting.

When I rode across to Turkey (15 years ago :eek:) I had the same decision to make. In the end I rode through Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria....... I'm so glad I did as Romania and Serbia were just beautiful places (and wonderful people). And as for Romanian women...............

Andres

When I rode across to Turkey (15 years ago :eek:) I had the same decision to make. In the end I rode through Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria....... I'm so glad I did as Romania and Serbia were just beautiful places (and wonderful people). And as for Romanian women...............

Andres

Are the Romanian women nice then?

I've still to undertake my 2019 plan to visit Ukraine, Romania and then a clockwise route to Greece, etc.

If you fancy a city visit when in Bulgaria I can recommend Varna. I was there when it was a communist country in the early 80's. Well worth a visit and plenty of beaches along that stretch of the coast for your swim.
Not sure of prices these days but I remember going out for a meal, four of us including wine and a horse drawn carriage back to our digs was 16 quid in total.:D
Lovely people the Bulgarians and can't do enough for you.:thumb2

I'm planning/hoping to ride to Mongolia next July & August. Shipping the bike to Bulgaria then riding across to Turkey, ferry across the Caspian Sea then through the 'Stans via the Pamir highway. I'm not sure if the Wakhan Corridor will be on the menu now, it depends on what the Taliban are doing with it.

Should've been doing it this year, can't keep putting it off though as I'm getting old.......

I'm planning/hoping to ride to Mongolia next July & August. Shipping the bike to Bulgaria then riding across to Turkey, ferry across the Caspian Sea then through the 'Stans via the Pamir highway. I'm not sure if the Wakhan Corridor will be on the menu now, it depends on what the Taliban are doing with it.

Should've been doing it this year, can't keep putting it off though as I'm getting old.......

If you get updates on the route and covid, be good to post them here (or in an appropriately titled thread), I'll do the same as I'm sure others will

I’d like to go to Ukraine, on to Baku then continue around the Black Sea to Turkey. Won’t happen in these politically unstable times.

Back
Top Bottom