So, who's heading east next year?

I'm planning/hoping to ride to Mongolia next July & August. Shipping the bike to Bulgaria then riding across to Turkey, ferry across the Caspian Sea then through the 'Stans via the Pamir highway. I'm not sure if the Wakhan Corridor will be on the menu now, it depends on what the Taliban are doing with it.

Should've been doing it this year, can't keep putting it off though as I'm getting old.......

Have you managed to find a provider to transport the bikes?

When we looked into this, no one seemed interested. Quoting brexit, carnets etc.

Bill

Have you managed to find a provider to transport the bikes?

That might be a sticking point. I'm hoping BBS are still up and running next year but who knows what will be left of the bike-shipping industry after this. Failing that my Plan B is to blat across Europe. It's something I'm trying to avoid but if it's the difference between going or not going then I'll do it.

Despite having most of it planned out, I have put my 2022 plans to ride to Kiev on hold, at least for now.

With the ongoing fuss over Covid going on, I think it’s easier to play each month or quarter as it comes. Kiev will not go away, so I can wait.

Despite having most of it planned out, I have put my 2022 plans to ride to Kiev on hold, at least for now.

With the ongoing fuss over Covid going on, I think it’s easier to play each month or quarter as it comes. Kiev will not go away, so I can wait.

Our Mongolia trip is definitely not before 2023 now, watching developments and still hope to have a swim in the Black Sea in 2022, route flexible depending on covid and Putin. Down through Italy, across to Greece then Bulgaria would work, back via Romania. But covid.............

See how it looks in the spring.

Like most I’d hoped 2022 would ease up somewhat for European travel but with this variant and most probably others to come it’s so difficult making plans.
Not the fear of covid but the impracticality of restrictions, testing, quarantines etc.
I’d hoped to get to Berlin at some point this christmas but staying at home seems the only sensible option. Likewise Lviv, Tirana and Belgrade next year.
As you say, month by month and see what happens.

If you fancy a city visit when in Bulgaria I can recommend Varna. I was there when it was a communist country in the early 80's. Well worth a visit and plenty of beaches along that stretch of the coast for your swim.
Not sure of prices these days but I remember going out for a meal, four of us including wine and a horse drawn carriage back to our digs was 16 quid in total.:D
Lovely people the Bulgarians and can't do enough for you.:thumb2
I was hitchhiking in Bulgaria in '69 and got a lift with a family with four children. They insisted I got in and sat in the front passenger seat next to the wife, with the husband driving. Some time later they saw some police at the side of the road and the wife screamed and dived down by my feet under the dash, they explained later by means of sign language that they would have been in trouble if they had been seen driving an overloaded car.

So that's something I still remember after more than fifty years, and something I'm sure I'll never forget. :bow

Are the Romanian women nice then?

I'm in Dubai sitting next to one on the sofa! Vague ideas to find a way to ride from UK to Dubai sometime in next 2 years (probably leave UK in November to get cooler weather).

Seeing so many places en route are effectively out-of-bounds to UK passport holders just now, I was looking at a ferry from Turkey to Suez, then crossing Saudi.... Had wondered about S Spain, ferry from Gib to Morocco, but Libya/Chad not looking possible (South Mediterranean Route I'll call it!). After Turkey (staying N of the Med), by road, again too many countries are off-the-list (Syria, Iraq etc). From Turkey (Iskenderun) and Egypt (Port Said) there's a ferry 4 times a week... Found 2 shipping companies here that would crate my bike back home to UK from Dubai,.,,

Vague vague plans (actually more dreams than plans) but dreaming about it and creating high level plans which may or may not see any follow-thru

My plans for a possible jaunt to Kiev in 2022 are now definitely out of the window. Just as the world starts to look like it’s emerging from Covid, that cnut in Moscow, starts to ferment more trouble.

My plans for a possible jaunt to Kiev in 2022 are now definitely out of the window. Just as the world starts to look like it’s emerging from Covid, that cnut in Moscow, starts to ferment more trouble.

Oh, I don’t know, there’ll be plenty of hotel availability. Just be careful as you ride around burned out tanks and land mines. :D

Got a route, mate

I'm sticking with my original plans, wild camping in Welsh forests... oh and I suspect it's not the cnut in Moscow that's causing the shit storm, it's the West that needs a war right now and the sticks they are poking him with are getting bigger :(

I'm sticking with my original plans, wild camping in Welsh forests... oh and I suspect it's not the cnut in Moscow that's causing the shit storm, it's the West that needs a war right now and the sticks they are poking him with are getting bigger :(

That’ll be Them organising it, as a part of The Plan, no doubt.

I am going to Wales today. I am going on the train.

Ive never been to Wales on a train, it's on my bucket list though. The line to Pwllheli looks an interesting one.

I am coming back by train today, too.

I haven’t been on a train that is in Wales, since I went on the Festiniog (or whatever it’s called) steam train, when I was about 11. I haven’t been to Wales much since, only about five or six times for the rugby in Cardiff. It is that which brings me there today.

I'm still hoping to get as far as the Black Sea but not via Ukraine this year. And certainly no further east this year, hopefully 2023.

Putin sells himself as the guardian of Mother Russia, their protector and has a large ego that needs feeding I'm afraid and he can't be seen (at home) to lose face. Whether there is a diplomatic or military solution, it has to be one that he can sell to the voters.

I'm still hoping to get as far as the Black Sea but not via Ukraine this year. And certainly no further east this year, hopefully 2023.

Putin sells himself as the guardian of Mother Russia, their protector and has a large ego that needs feeding I'm afraid and he can't be seen (at home) to lose face. Whether there is a diplomatic or military solution, it has to be one that he can sell to the voters.

You could do a lot worse than having a paddle in the Black Sea at Constanta, it’s a nice enough city to spend a couple of days in and you can always drift south afterwards and say hello to Turkey.

All options being considered just now as heading east may not be possible or wise. See what develops.

Attachments

• 20220226_123224.jpg
    20220226_123224.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 209
I was planning to visit L'viv this summer but perhaps not now. Hopefully Romania will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom