How to set up twin monitors on 2 PC's

Beak Freak

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

Hoping for some guidance from those in the know.

I have a private PC (Tower unit) and a work laptop. I have 2 iiyama 24" monitors and want to set them up without having to plug and unplug all the time. I have a switchable USB hub for peripherals already and have recently bought a further hub which has dual HDMI inputs and a USB/USB C connector on it.

My work laptop only has one HDMI input so the adapter should work for that (need admin password to set up the software on the adapter, but that is a separate issue!) but it does at least recognise the adapter and software.

My Personal PC recognises there is a USB device connected but doesn't seem to want to let me see the software install in File Explorer.

Both machines running Windows 10.

Any help appreciated as its starting to look like a spaghetti factory round here !!

Depends on the type of monitor cables you have, but what you are after is a KVM switch, that is Cable, Video and Mouse.

You can then switch backwards and forwards using the same monitor, key board and mouse.

The alternative is you use the multiple connections on your monitor many will have hmdi, display port, svga, so you have cables form each computer to the monitor, but plugged into different inputs, and you just switch on the monitor to the input you want.

It does sound like you already have something like I've described, but a good KVM with the inputs/outputs to match your needs might work best.

Good luck.

So... for the best option first :
What you are looking for, I think, is a "KVM switch". That switches all at the same time [Keyboard, Video and Mouse]. In reality, they switch video and USB, these days but hey... good old PS2 days :)
They get a bit expensive as you need multiple high-quality output. Have a look at one of them and think it through, happy to try to help with specifics.

Other options involve 2 different ways of connecting to monitors, like HDMI / DisplayPort / DVI and adpters between the two, or using two switches, like you started.
My expertise is a bit old now, as USB-C can also carry video as well, as well as new monitors can "daisy-chain", so there may well be a new ways, but a good second-hand KVM will do what you ask for. They range in the number of devices you need to connect and usually come with cables.

HTH.

well ... Snap! Just as I was typing... Chablis gets in first :)

That is two almost identical recommendations for you... :)

Thanks All

Thank you all for the advice.

I will look into KVM switches.

I had used the different input option when I only had one monitor, but with two and only a single connection from the laptop it got more compliacted.

just to put a spanner in the works, some laptops have usb c for charging and they dont have the data cables connected its just a charging port.

Can I just check......

ref=sr_1_4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extended-DEPZOL-Keyboard-Microphone-Computers-Dual-HDMI-KVM-2-Port/dp/B07T3R92F3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1S3LBPQ94W0K3&dchild=1&keywords=kvm+switch+dual+monitor&qid=1630918805&s=computers&sr=1-4

I was going to get something like this, but can I just check something. Do I need 2 HDMI connections from each PC to the KVM switch?

Last edited:
You don't need two HDMI, you can have one from each, or one from one and two from the other. If you are able to provide two HDMI cables from each computer, you will be able to have dual monitors for both. This KVM allows you only need one hdmi connector to be used on each monitor.

Bear in mind the common connector is HDMI on the KVM, the computer or monitor plug could be one of the other connectors that DVI, Displayport or HDMI.

Don't know if that helps. At this would all be m expectation.

Sorry, being a bit slow here!

I think being on leave has put my brain in "sleep" mode.

What I am looking for is dual monitors on both devices, that I can switch between. I don't need 4 screens and both devices running simultaneously. Quote:"If you are able to provide two HDMI cables from each computer, you will be able to have dual monitors for both. This KVM allows you only need one hdmi connector to be used on each monitor." I am reading that first part as setting up without the KVM switch and then saying that I could achieve what I want with the KVM switch and one HDMI to each monitor, have I read it correctly

My Personal PC has loads of connections. but the work laptop really only has a dedicated HDMI slot (I am sure that I could use adapters to get more).

Thanks for your help again.

The idea of a KVM is to reduce the common components, so only having single / dual monitor, one keyboard and one mouse, but serving two different computers.
You switch between computers. You would not get four monitors, it has the ability to serve two monitors, (computer graphic outputs allowing) for each machine.
If there is only one possible graphic output from the laptop, then that would only be one monitor displayed. But you said you may be okay with a second using an adapter.

If you gave us the computer models or photos of the outputs, we might be able to confirm options. It sounds like you should be okay, a lot depends on the age of the machines.

Thanks for all the help

Hi All

Thanks for the help and advice. On reflection I think a KVM switch is not what I am after. I have an adapter which I can use on the laptop and I will just use the alternative inputs for the PC (DP and VGA).

Back
Top Bottom