New Nav VI ‘Refresh unit’ freezing Basecamp

P248

Reaction score
I have just received one of the new Navigator VI "Refresh" units featuring the new software withthe"Make Life a Ride" displayon startup. Basecamp 4.7.X does not work on my Windows 10 machine (Garmin Helpdesk team are investigating) so I'm using Basecamp v4.6.2, which works successfully with both my old Zumo 660 and previous Nav VIs (replaced under warranty for "ghosting"). I registered the new device using Garmin Express and updated the software and maps successfully. I then opened up Basecamp 4.6.2, but as soon as I connected the new Nav VI, Basecamp locked up; the top left hand corner of the window displays the message “Garmin BaseCamp (Not Responding)” . I had to close down Basecamp using Task Manager. I disconnected the new Nav VI, opened up Basecamp again, and created a couple of new test routes to check it was working ok. I then connected the Nav VI and Basecamp 4.6.2 locked up again. I tried again a few times, with the same result. I’ve tried Basecamp 4.6.2 again since with the Zumo 660 and it works faultlessly. And just to be clear, I did not have this problem with any of my previous earlier versions of the Nav VI.

I have found a workaround for the new Nav VI, using the micro SD card. If I remove the micro SD card from the Nav VI and connect it to the computer using a micro SD adapter, Basecamp 4.6.2 sees the card as another device. I can use Basecamp to send routes, etc., to the card successfully. When I insert the card back into the Nav VI, I can import the new routes and other data as usual, and the sat nav runs the routes properly. The method works, but it is a little less convenient than connecting the Nav VI directly.

Has anybody out there experienced similar problems with the Nav VI “Refresh” device and Basecamp?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsewhere in these forums, Redboots has suggested I try running Basecamp 4.6.2 as an administrator. Thanks to him for the suggestion, but there was no change: it still freezes when the new Nav VI is connected.
I have also changed the Nav VI to a mass transfer device using the hidden menus found in the Volume screen. Again, this has not worked.

Last edited:
Another thing you could try is to run it in 2D only.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp\BaseCamp.exe" /Disable3D
or wherever your exe file is located

If you want older versions, go to gpsrchive then select "software updates" from the menu on the left side.
Anything from 2.0.5.0 to 4.7.4.0 :D

Thanks Redboots, that’s a gourd source for previous versions oo Basecamp, and is where I found v4.6.2 which runs well on my machine, except when coonecting to my new Nav VI.
I’ll give the 2D option a try.

Thanks Redboots, that’s a gourd source for previous versions oo Basecamp, and is where I found v4.6.2 which runs well on my machine, except when coonecting to my new Nav VI.
I’ll give the 2D option a try.

Update: I followed Redboots’ suggestion in another thread to use Revo Uninstaller to remove all traces of the older versions of Basecamp before downloading the latest Basecamp v4.7.4. Everything works now, v4.7.4 no longer freezes and now recognises my Navigator VI. One thing to be wary of, make sure you make a backup of all data and routes previously created in Basecamp hand saved on your machine in Basecamp in “Library/My Collection”) before you uninstall it.

Back
Top Bottom