Conti Trail Attack 3 Rear tyre tread depth

I’m trying to track down some Conti Trail Attack 3’s for my 2020 Honda Africa but they seem to be in short supply.
Can anyone on here recommend a reputable U.K. internet supply that they’ve used which I can then try.

BikespeedUK used them many times.

Just bought a pair from Bikespeed for my XT. Theyre image shows CTA2’s, but I checked before buying and they assured me I’d get 3s and that is what turned up yesterday. £225......cracking price. Two Wheels wanted £245.

Depends where you ride !

The CTAs are obviously a compromise of something like 80/20 road/off-road .
The CRAs are obviously 100% a road tyre, hence the name . So the latter should perform better if you solely ride on tarmac .

That would make sense

Decided to try the CTA3s after recommendations on here, notably from stick who uses them harder than I ever will

As he has said they do feel a bit more nimble than the CRA3s but then new tyres always do feel better than whatever you just took off, so it’s a bit hard to say until I’ve got some proper 2 up twisties under them

Depends where you ride !

The CTAs are obviously a compromise of something like 80/20 road/off-road .
The CRAs are obviously 100% a road tyre, hence the name . So the latter should perform better if you solely ride on tarmac .

Tried both , the CTA3 as a set work really well with the front commanding the rear , the CRA3 seemed opposite to that in the respect the rear seemed to overwhelm the front ( flatter front profile) and made it lazy in the turns.
Yes its as pure road tyre but the gains are not for me as the CRA seemed harder to push where as the CTA love being pushed and cut the lines well and never ran wide or caused concern.
Still waiting for the M9rr Trail to come out as that may be a game changer for the 100% road , no longer have the 2 sets of wheels to compare and also changed bikes now so may take longer to find out , oh well.
Have a good trip by the way.

CTA3s are a great tyre. On my second set. Impressed with a few things actually: mileage, holding of the profile through that mileage, and grip - wet and dry.

I'm using them on a twin cam adventure. Due to Covid and not flying anywhere I've found myself and the moto doing hell of a lot of miles through Europe. These tyres have really impressed me . I will re-fit at the next change.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Standard for the Gs is V rated, standard for the Ktm 1290 and V4 multi W rated . I chose to use the W rated for the multi as this is the oem as per the op it’s a speed rate.
I alway got V rated off my bike shop as that was the recommended spec for the GS .
Not noticed any difference as well between the two so far , only thing is the V4 seems a bit better on the rear wear as it’s not as torquey at low revs as the Bm and perhaps the electronics are kinder to the rubber . Early days yet as only done 400 on the CTA 3 on the multi

By the sounds of this I’m guessing you’ve bought a V4 Multi, has the GS gone and if so why?

I’m curious, I own a 1250 but am off to France next week on a borrowed V4 Multi for 2 weeks, that’s a reasonable test ride🤣

By the sounds of this I’m guessing you’ve bought a V4 Multi, has the GS gone and if so why?

I’m curious, I own a 1250 but am off to France next week on a borrowed V4 Multi for 2 weeks, that’s a reasonable test ride��

It was a sad day when the Gs went , but decided I would try the Multi out for a few years as it was the time to do it due to work , commitments etc . Is it better , yes and no , but its as good with the added bonus of the engine , I would never of thought I would stray from the tele front end , but Ducati have got this bike up to the mark.
Overall a brilliant machine that just gives you more of a buzz , but at the cost of the compliance of the Gs , this mainly due to more room on the Gs and more capacity to kit up for 2 up trips , but again this has not been tried so may well not be that much of an issue ( pac lite lol).
Tried the Ktm as well but could not get along with it even with a list of settings for the suspension , the V4 just performed straight away with no need to tweak or alter , thus this showed me that maybe this bike is a good starting point for a new adventure.
Oh , reapeating myself WHAT A MOTOR......planning our trip (lads) in may next year to the Pyrenees so will look forward to that , to much work at the moment and also the covid restricions have stopped us this year.
How come not on the Gs but on the Multi.... sounds like you have a good friend to lend one out and have a great trip.

It was a sad day when the Gs went , but decided I would try the Multi out for a few years as it was the time to do it due to work , commitments etc . Is it better , yes and no , but its as good with the added bonus of the engine , I would never of thought I would stray from the tele front end , but Ducati have got this bike up to the mark.
Overall a brilliant machine that just gives you more of a buzz , but at the cost of the compliance of the Gs , this mainly due to more room on the Gs and more capacity to kit up for 2 up trips , but again this has not been tried so may well not be that much of an issue ( pac lite lol).
Tried the Ktm as well but could not get along with it even with a list of settings for the suspension , the V4 just performed straight away with no need to tweak or alter , thus this showed me that maybe this bike is a good starting point for a new adventure.
Oh , reapeating myself WHAT A MOTOR......planning our trip (lads) in may next year to the Pyrenees so will look forward to that , to much work at the moment and also the covid restricions have stopped us this year.
How come not on the Gs but on the Multi.... sounds like you have a good friend to lend one out and have a great trip.

Interesting and thanks for the comments. I went from a 1200 Multistrada to a 1290 KTM to the GS and fitted Touratech suspension and I do love the GS.

In this instance I got asked to help a magazine road test a V4 Multistrada and a 1250 RT for a trip to the Bol D'Or, hence I'll be riding the V4 and swapping bikes. So down through the Massif Central, onto the South of France and back via the Alps for 2 weeks.

I'm really looking forward to it, though have some trepidation as to it leading to swapping the GS for a V4.

Interesting and thanks for the comments. I went from a 1200 Multistrada to a 1290 KTM to the GS and fitted Touratech suspension and I do love the GS.

In this instance I got asked to help a magazine road test a V4 Multistrada and a 1250 RT for a trip to the Bol D'Or, hence I'll be riding the V4 and swapping bikes. So down through the Massif Central, onto the South of France and back via the Alps for 2 weeks.

I'm really looking forward to it, though have some trepidation as to it leading to swapping the GS for a V4.

To honest it will depend on the bits you feel are missing from the Gs , and as I said before its a close call between the 2 and both tick all boxes but some will have a double tick. Well jealous on the trip to have coming up............. I wanted more before I get to old to appreciate it and also it was due for the 3 year change on the Gs and thought why not..
So far Happy Days and one wheel is enough now lol...

Appologies to the OP for wandering :beerjug:

To honest it will depend on the bits you feel are missing from the Gs , and as I said before its a close call between the 2 and both tick all boxes but some will have a double tick. Well jealous on the trip to have coming up............. I wanted more before I get to old to appreciate it and also it was due for the 3 year change on the Gs and thought why not..
So far Happy Days and one wheel is enough now lol...

Appologies to the OP for wandering :beerjug:

Enjoy it. I’m really looking forward to trying it. So many other plans have been curtailed.

Apologies to OP as well. I love CTA3’s very neutral tyre that performs very well without any drama. Can’t comment on the differing tread depths

Good thread, I looked at my tyres: ZR rated, so I’ve been paying more for tyres with less tread, doh, manual even says V rated, although the load carrying capacity drops over 130mph apparently.

My GS was fitted with Anakee Adventure, warned by others that they were twitchy, so never really had confidence in them, but if I am honest I never had any problems with them. The rear squared of at 8500 miles but still had tread left as did the front. Took the advice of the forum and fitted CTA3 front and rear, the difference in feeling is measurable. So very happy with the CTA3s , lets see how they wear. £262 to loose wheels.

How do the CTA3s compare to the previous generation CTA2s? The last Conti's I tried where the 2s and was not that impressed, average handling and wear at best. For those who've used both, were the 3s a marked improvement?

As an aside, my bike came with Anakee Adventures, the front wore out by about 7500 miles, but the rear has made it to almost 9k with very little squaring off. Didn't like them much when I first got them, they tended to push in turns and caught me by surprise a couple of times. Once broken in though they weren't bad.

I’ve had both, the CTA2 was my first tyre change from the OEM fitted from new, and was an ok tyre. My second change was to PST2 and was a big improvement, but the best tyre yet is the CTA3, it’s a very grippy and confidence inspiring tyre and so far is wearing well.

I ride mainly in the Spanish mountain twistys, so grip is very important for me.

I actually preferred the TA2’s as I got better mileage out of them and they resisted squaring off better. I’ve just fitted a new rear TA3 as the previous 3 had squared off badly and even had decent tread left, but I wanted to start this years riding on fresh rubber and the front doesn’t have many miles done yet. I’m going to take a note of how well this one lasts but I do wish the TA2’s were still available for my AT.

Anybody on here know what tread depth you get on a front TA3 when new?

Back
Top Bottom