Wild camping in The Alps

Snowy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks I'm planning on riding through France and doing the French TET from Briancon to the Med and some of the Military Roads in the area. Looking at campsites there, they all appear to close at the the end of Sept so I'm left with wild-camping as my main option. There's a website 'Le Camping Sauvage' where others have added spots they've camped in (similar to iOverlander) which looks good but it is still the unknown for me. I'm travelling solo so there'll be no safety in numbers when it comes to dealing with bears, wolves, piranha, lions, crocodiles, angry French farmers etc.

Has anyone on here wild-camped in France and had good/bad experiences with it?

Arrive late and leave early if worried about angry French farmers.
Oh and lean the bike against something sturdy or else you may find it on the not so solid ground in the moring
(Don't bother asking how I know this:blast)

In my experience (had 11 walking/climbing trips to the Alps) "Camping" is not appreciated most of the time, "Bivvying" is fine. As Wildbeeste says, pitch your tent later in the afternoon, and pop off fairly early,, be responsible, and you will be fine :okay Plenty of places tucked away, and quiet... Enjoy!

rule 1 out of sight is out of mind.

rule 2 take only photographs , leave only foorprints.

up past the treeline , you can do anything .

don't take a bright tent , ie. yellow , have something that blends in , or take a camo or grey tarp .( see rule 1 )

Go for it :)

Attachments

• campin-01.jpeg
    campin-01.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 242
On past climbing trips in the Alps, we have camped a little up the trail and out of main site and had no issues. Not sure how far you need to get up a hill on a bike to feel safe though?

Thanks for the responses/advice. All very useful and appreciated (apart from the wolves, I didn't need that....:eek::eek:). I have a small tent with a green fly-sheet so shouldn't stand out - apart from the orange bike, that might a little :D

Cracking piccie Tim, love that.

rule 1 out of sight is out of mind.

rule 2 take only photographs , leave only foorprints.

up past the treeline , you can do anything .

don't take a bright tent , ie. yellow , have something that blends in , or take a camo or grey tarp .( see rule 1 )

Rule three….

As advised by the Two Ronnies in their song….. “When in the prickly heather, keep your knees together”

Tut tut Tim. Novice mistake. Bikes leaning towards your tent. Lol

Ha ha yes all the old wives tales and if you look carefully here my tent is tied to my bike as the soil was sandy and very strong winds....shock, horror :D

Attachments

• 20210712_230914-01-01.jpg
    20210712_230914-01-01.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 174
I’d probably be more inclined to take a hammock and an additional tarp to leave my gear under overnight. You can always find somewhere to pitch it and it’ll be a lot lighter than carrying a tent, sleeping mat and any other associated clutter you’d be tempted to put in your tent.

Back
Top Bottom