Trackers and Insurance Reduction?

Max_W

Reaction score
I'm returning to the GSA fold from 18 months with a K1600 and am looking at insurance. The GSA has Datatool Stealth fitted, but this seems to make zero difference to the premium with Bennetts. Is it normal for insurers to give no reduction in premiums for a tracker being fitted? I'm somewhat surprised...

I'm returning to the GSA fold from 18 months with a K1600 and am looking at insurance. The GSA has Datatool Stealth fitted, but this seems to make zero difference to the premium with Bennetts. Is it normal for insurers to give no reduction in premiums for a tracker being fitted? I'm somewhat surprised...

I didn't get a reduction - I bet I'll get an increase next year if I disable it!

It is not entirely unheard of for an insurer to demand that a recognised tracker (as opposed to some shonky SMS card device, bought on EBay) is fitted to expensive vehicles. With many new GS’s costing north of £18,000 it may simply be that you have no choice and / or receive no obvious discount. But hey, that’s life at the moment.

Interesting - I've just renewed my Datatool Tracker for a further year at a cost of £109. I don't for one minute expect a reduction in the insurance renewal premium of that amount (if anything at all) but I didn't think it was overly excessive and if, as Wapping suggests, the discount is built into my premium then perhaps I've avoided an increase. Fingers crossed!

I'm in the habit of not declaring on the policy any extra security on the bike, in case those are not functioning properly (or not used/active) it can affect your claim. The discount on the premium is usually negligible.
I do use locks and a tracker, but for my own peace of mind.

One of my older Audi estate cars had an original Tracker fitted from new, when I bought it at 3 years old the subscription had lapsed so I queried what difference it would make to my premiums.

Spoke to three insurers and if I paid Tracker's annual subscription of £100 (I kept the car for 10 years) I would have got either £5 or nothing per year discount on my insurance.

Back
Top Bottom