Battery replacement

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I'd share my experience with the dreaded Nav V and VI models battery issues as there is thankfully a resolution.

I bought my "V" from a UKGSer member perhaps 18 months/2 yrs back and then I think it was about 18 months old. Since then it has been mounted on the bike and turned off when not in use, or so I thought...

Obviously it never switches itself off, just goes into sleep/standby mode until the ignition is next turned on, so the battery is constantly draining. It has always charged up ok and is fine in use or was until recently when it began shutting off.

I removed the battery, thinking it was just several years of use and expect to get no more than this from such a small battery on constant cyclic charge and drain, but when I checked yesterday how much a replacement from Motorad was, I almost fell off my seat! £66.80 for a tiny little battery was the cheapest I could find one from BMW. Needless to say, I like many others consider this to be daylight robbery so will not support this cynical pricing policy by paying such a large amount for something that costs literally pennies to produce in China.

First thing was to search for a replacement....nothing doing as it appears to be a one off using two 3.7v batteries wired in series, back to back for 7.4v. No-one makes anything that will fit.

I just got off the phone with Garmin GB support, and they came up trumps. I provided my serial nr and details and straight away, they said "no problem sir, we are willing to sell you a replacement, direct for £13".

£66.80 is a joke. £13 I can live with and is a fair price for what it is.

Anyone having problems with their Navi V or VI batteries, my advice is to go straight to Garmin, and bypass Motorad. Garmin have their ongoing customer support and reputation to think of and won't rip you off. Motorad seem happy to.

Thank you Garmin. I will continue to buy your products as this was more cover than I expected to receive for a secondhand satnav :thumb

Nice one. My Nav V is just over 4 years old, so is probably due a replacement soon.

I'd take advantage of the remaining stocks that Garmin have in your shoes, Yep, 4 years seems to be about it for those batteries. They'll still function on the machine with ignition on but won't have much, if any life once disconnected. Mine no longer takes a charge.

Have been looking round for replacement options when the time comes.

Came across these guys some time back offering a wide range of battery replacement options.

https://www.allbatteries.co.uk/searchengine/result/?q=zumo

Not used them yet but they do offer Garmin replacements for 3, 5 & 6 series they say they can find your battery if its not listed in their drop down menus.

Back
Top Bottom