Tyre pump / compressor / blower-upper thingy…..

JB,

Buy the cheapest compressor you can find. Take off all the fancy casing. What you are left with is the basic compressor, all but generic to the vast majority of compressors on sale. Keep it in a small bag or Tupperware box. The onyy thing to watch out for is that it will get bloody hot, when pumping up a tyre.

JB,

Buy the cheapest compressor you can find. Take off all the fancy casing. What you are left with is the basic compressor, all but generic to the vast majority of compressors on sale. Keep it in a small bag or Tupperware box. The onyy thing to watch out for is that it will get bloody hot, when pumping up a tyre.

Thanks
The Desert Fox one arrives today
On a recent trip, last month one chap had a puncture and the cheap compressors burnt out
I already have an Airman one and whilst fine, I wanted to try a Desert Fox one and for £50 it looks sturdy enough

:beerjug:

Interesting that the compressor burnt out. I wonder if the fellow had bunged a bloody big fuse in the electrical feed?

Airman - cheap junk or just unlucky?

Paid about £30 for one when I called in at the Wunderlich store about a decade ago. Appeared decent quality but never used in anger - and it failed after less than a year. Just acquired a MotoPumps Airshot after stumbling across this thread: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/...hot-2-0-made-in-the-usa-now-shipping.1516388/
Looks similar sort of quality to the Desert Foix item. More than twice the price of the Airman - but worth it if it does the job. Yet to be properly tested

Thanks
The Desert Fox one arrives today
On a recent trip, last month one chap had a puncture and the cheap compressors burnt out
I already have an Airman one and whilst fine, I wanted to try a Desert Fox one and for £50 it looks sturdy enough

It’s arrived
Pretty heavy at 1.3kg and large
Not sure if it will fit under the Tenere pillion seat
Sturdy but like most things American…..heavy

I bought a Rocky Creek pump. Seems to work OK, but i've not tried it in the field as yet.

Fixed a few flats lately and using a £2.99 Lidl mini bike pump gets annoying pretty quickly, and then it breaks.

It’s arrived
Pretty heavy at 1.3kg and large
Not sure if it will fit under the Tenere pillion seat
Sturdy but like most things American…..heavy

Tried it in the garage and it’s fast
Much faster than the Airman pump that
I already have

If speed is not an issue...
Few years ago I purchased a Xiaomi tyre pump. Looks like a giant iPod, battery operated.

I regularly use it to re-inflate the bike tyres at the end of trackdays.
It also proved useful last time I had to fix a puncture on the GS on the road.

Slow as hell, but works fine. Not to heavy and you can find space for it in a backpack, pannier, bag.

Pressure reading is fairly accurate too.

Rocky Creek Motopressor for the win.

Small, rugged, works well and fairly quickly. I have used mine many times over the last 5 years or so and it has always worked perfectly. It has never let me down, and that is all I ask.

Back
Top Bottom