Tail kit from Unit Garage

carbold

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gents,
Another paranoid question about MOT.
I have fitted a Unit Garage tail kit, the bike looks great, but the light hasn't got a plate light or a reflector. Or better, it's red not white.
I am pretty sure by law you need a reflector, not sure about the light.
How about the MOT? Does it need reflector and a light?

Attachments

• gs1.jpg
    gs1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 281
Certainly needs a reflector as far as I can remember.

Yes I think you are right @Robbi, but I can just screw a bicycle reflector on the rack on the day of the MOT. The number plate light is my worry, as it's a bit more difficult to sort out....

I have a large number plate just for the mot with a reflector stuck to it and a small led light fixed to the corner of it. Plugs into the original light connector. Mot no issue

Barry

I have done some research and found the less intrusive items to be on the legal side....Going to use some epoxy to fix them in place
Might help people with the same issue...See below

Attachments

• gs1.jpg
    gs1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 243
  • gs2.jpg
    gs2.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 243
Quick update on this. I realised that the Unit Garage rear light was pointing downwards quite a lot. LEDs are very direction sensitive, that means that the rear light and break light were pretty ineffective from a distance. I wasn't comfortable with that in terms of being seen especially in bad weather, so I decided to add an extra light.
I made a bespoke bracket and lowered the license plate. The new light is E marked fully legal, and it has a number plate light.

Admittedly not as cool as before, but at least I now know I can be seen. The 2 light work on 2 different canbus sockets so should one fail the other one should still work.

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 191
  • mod2.jpg
    mod2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 190
  • mod3.jpg
    mod3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 194

Back
Top Bottom