Apple recommends not mounting iPhone to Motorcycle

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/11/22668294/motorcycle-vibrations-damage-iphone-camera-apple

I know some people have posted issues with their cameras. Look like it’s official.

I guess that means they will start denying warranty repairs if they think you have mounted it to a bike. So.....don't take your helmet in when you go to the Apple store for the free fix.

In fairness, Apple have been really good about this. I have had three camera modules replaced free of charge. Now I don't mount the phone on the bars any more.

I thought it was more recent models of the phone but it appears to be all models from the 6. I'll have to be careful with mine - or buy a vibration reducing mount

I thought it was more recent models of the phone but it appears to be all models from the 6. I'll have to be careful with mine - or buy a vibration reducing mount

Buy a 6S (no later) burner and keep the good one in your pocket. No SIM card needed and hotspot to the goodie if needed - saw one on eBay recently with a busted camera asking £15 …

Just buy a decent Android phone, easy.

I've used my iPhone 11 on my GS for the last 18 months, and the optical image stabilisation seems to be damaged. It only effects close up shots, but still a bit annoying.
So my question is - is it worth trying to get Apple to repair an 18 month old phone that is out of warranty? Given that they never warned us this might be an issue.

I've used my iPhone 11 on my GS for the last 18 months, and the optical image stabilisation seems to be damaged. It only effects close up shots, but still a bit annoying.
So my question is - is it worth trying to get Apple to repair an 18 month old phone that is out of warranty? Given that they never warned us this might be an issue.

Take it in, they plug it in and tell you the cost of repair for nowt, nothing lost for asking..

iPhones now have a 2 year warranty, and its backdated even if you only bought it with one years warranty. Last year, I had the same problem with my X, and took it to the apple store to get checked out. They checked that there was no water damage, which invalidates the warranty, and confirmed the camera was goosed and told me to speak to my provider (Vodafone)
They sent me a reconditioned phone, and I bought a Quadlock stabiliser attachment pronto!

Thanks Dave - that was exactly what I needed to know. I'll book an appointment at the apple store.

iPhones now have a 2 year warranty, and its backdated even if you only bought it with one years warranty. Last year, I had the same problem with my X, and took it to the apple store to get checked out. They checked that there was no water damage, which invalidates the warranty, and confirmed the camera was goosed and told me to speak to my provider (Vodafone)
They sent me a reconditioned phone, and I bought a Quadlock stabiliser attachment pronto!

Have a look at the Ram Mount Wireless Charger https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN14WB

I've hard wired mine onto the bike and for me, using the BMW Connected App all the time, its a winner with little or no vibration. 11,000 miles so far with a Samsung S21 and no issues whatsoever. Moreover you do not have to have Quadlock's case to make it work. My S21 Ultra has an S Pen with it and a case to match. The whole thing fits ultra securely into the mount which is very easy to use. I take the phone with me at every stop paying with contactless usually. Win, win. Gloves stay on if its a splash and dash without having to fiddle around with wallets, pockets and cards etc. Worth a look before you go down the quadlock route.

It’s a different phone!

No really, no flys on you then!!

Read the attachment in Post 1 in particular the last 2 paragraphs in the article. Basically it is saying that all Iphones from Iphone 7 are susceptible to damage to the Optical image stabilization and closed loop autofocus.

The Apple add has a disclaimer at the bottom. Always use a dampener, on a small capacity engine and only for a limited time. Stuffed

Back
Top Bottom