Overtaking

tanneman

Incomplete Arse
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New Ride magazine landed on the door mat. Each issue there is an article about riding better. This time it is about overtaking. Some sense is talked my a RAPID instructor named Clive. Well worth a read.

When I overtake I allways think what the guy thinks I have just overtaken. Was it safe, not too aggressive and has it caused him to slow down. There is the old step up to the overtake, follow and observe either side, move up to position, move out check it is clear, give it a squirt and move back in trying to time the throttle so that I don't have to be on the brakes. If I have to brake I like to match the speed of the car by staying out a bit and then move in behind it.

A lot of times I see the cars following too closely but with enough gap to move it and place me in a nice overtaking position once traffic has passed. That is doing the single car hop inbetween traffic or bends where it is clear. I do notice that the car behind tends to drop back once I'm in front. Then I'm not sure if I was correct to overtake, should I have waited. My instructor said to not force or rush an overtake, be patient and the opportunity will present itself. Which is very much the truth.

Spotted another thread of the same title. Would a mod please be so kind to merge the threads.

Coincidentally, our chief observer did a short piece for the local IAM mag this month. I'm sure he will not mind me pinching the relevant bit ...

This year has also seen an increase in the number of camper vans on the road which can be a frustration to us all (apologies to any of you out there who have one). However as "advanced" riders we are well versed in dealing with such frustrations where patience is the key while we look ahead and plan for that overtake

For me the best time to make a move is either coming out of built-up area, on hills or at the end of a series of bends when vehicles in front are generally going slower and lack the acceleration, we possess to hinder our manoeuvre.

Reading the signs, looking at road markings and picking up tell-tale signs that map out the layout of the land is all part of our preparation. Getting in the right gear and moving out to take a look before we accelerate past is all part of the process and God doesn't it feel good when you execute this smoothly. It might even suggest we know what we are doing!!

I also recommend folks have a look at Micky's tips on his website ... http://www.adventure.gs/Adventure.GS/Welcome.html

I like the bit he throws in at the end of one of the first paragraphs “ Also I never overtake on the approach to a garden centre “ :p

We do free assessments for riders. One guy I followed was an experienced, confident and "brisk" rider and seemed to want to prove that. He overtook a car just at a garden centre! During the debrief, I didn't say he was wrong. I just pointed out that it was a Sunday PM and I would have held back. He was not best pleased and took it as a criticism. As Kaybe implies: it's the attitude that makes the difference!

The bod from Walsall did an incredible video on the subject. It’s real ‘Go to….’ stuff.

We do free assessments for riders. One guy I followed was an experienced, confident and "brisk" rider and seemed to want to prove that. He overtook a car just at a garden centre! During the debrief, I didn't say he was wrong. I just pointed out that it was a Sunday PM and I would have held back. He was not best pleased and took it as a criticism. As Kaybe implies: it's the attitude that makes the difference!

I live close to many 'garden centres', each and every one of them a lethal den of myopic pensioners waiting to attack the unsuspecting motorist. Extreme caution always taken regardless of the day or time.

I live close to many 'garden centres', each and every one of them a lethal den of myopic pensioners waiting to attack the unsuspecting motorist. Extreme caution always taken regardless of the day or time.

Golf courses after lunch as they leave to go home

Many years ago I did, firstly the RoSpa advanced bike course, what a set of hypocrites they were when it came to safety. All they seemed focused on was speed, also their execution of the drop off system on group rides was laughable and the placement of markers was both dangerous and in most cases illegal.

I did the test, passed and never entertained them again. I then did the IAM training, similar to RoSpa, not quite as formal, did the test and passed. I found with both organisations their lack of understanding of what was lawful and what wasn’t to be either very poor or on some matters non existent. Their explanation was always, this is how we’ve always done it and if you do it your way you’ll lose marks in the test.

If you want to learn I have always found riding with bike cops is the way forward.

Back
Top Bottom