Overtaking

I see a marked difference in the rider who is out for a blast and the rider who uses their bike as a means of transport. Just observational recognition when I am out and about, not through training, just a personal thought on the matter. I have never been a fast rider and I have always needed a reason to use my bike, somewhere to actually go. There are loads of riders who 'just go for a ride' with no definite destination or reason for the journey other than the ride itself. These are the types I see doing daft stuff, going way, way faster than I would ever dream of going, being inconsiderate to other road users (diving in front of an overtaken vehicle before squirting off again past the next one0..... tortoise and hare springs to mind.

If you cause the vehicle you have overtaken to adjust their speed, you have done it wrong and been inconsiderate. If you don't impede or impact on anyone elses' journey, you have done it right.

That case law with one bike T boning the cafe visiting bike.... overtaking on the approach to a junction! I treat a layby as a junction too!

I see a marked difference in the rider who is out for a blast and the rider who uses their bike as a means of transport. Just observational recognition when I am out and about, not through training, just a personal thought on the matter. I have never been a fast rider and I have always needed a reason to use my bike, somewhere to actually go. There are loads of riders who 'just go for a ride' with no definite destination or reason for the journey other than the ride itself. These are the types I see doing daft stuff, going way, way faster than I would ever dream of going, being inconsiderate to other road users (diving in front of an overtaken vehicle before squirting off again past the next one0..... tortoise and hare springs to mind.

If you cause the vehicle you have overtaken to adjust their speed, you have done it wrong and been inconsiderate. If you don't impede or impact on anyone elses' journey, you have done it right.

That case law with one bike T boning the cafe visiting bike.... overtaking on the approach to a junction! I treat a layby as a junction too!

This exactly mirrors my view/attitude to biking.
I rarely need to make progress and get no pleasure in doing for its own sake.

tom

This exactly mirrors my view/attitude to biking.
I rarely need to make progress and get no pleasure in doing for its own sake.

tom

I interpret “making progress” as not being stuck in a queue of traffic (outside urban areas), be it 4 wheels or occasionally a 2 wheel convoy.

I’ll chop past them every time. Hopefully safely and smoothly.

When I’m on a ride I just want to be in clear space where I can ride at my own comfortable pace.

I gave up silly speeds long ago and can enjoy a 60mph cruise all day long. My cruise control switch is probably the most use switch after the gear lever.

I interpret “making progress” as not being stuck in a queue of traffic (outside urban areas), be it 4 wheels or occasionally a 2 wheel convoy.

I’ll chop past them every time. Hopefully safely and smoothly.

When I’m on a ride I just want to be in clear space where I can ride at my own comfortable pace.

I gave up silly speeds long ago and can enjoy a 60mph cruise all day long. My cruise control switch is probably the most use switch after the gear lever.

That's it. It's motor bikes we ride, so it's perfectly possible to "make progress" without playing silly buggers. When I'm working with an associate I always suggest that the first two questions to be asked before an overtake are ...

1. Do I need to overtake at all? (The answer ... It depends! For example, if you plan to stop a couple of miles up the road, why bother? :nenau: )

2. If I need to overtake, can I wait until road conditions allow a "sneaky" overtake? (after a roundabout, leaving a speed restriction, up a hill etc)

There are some times when it pays NOT to overtake. In some situations it is nice to have the luxury of a vehicle in front and use them as a scout, to break trail for one! Not if they are crawling, obviously, but if they are doing a reasonable speed for the road and conditions, they can be put to good use as an early warning system.

There are some times when it pays NOT to overtake. In some situations it is nice to have the luxury of a vehicle in front and use them as a scout, to break trail for one! Not if they are crawling, obviously, but if they are doing a reasonable speed for the road and conditions, they can be put to good use as an early warning system.

:thumb2

That's it. It's motor bikes we ride, so it's perfectly possible to "make progress" without playing silly buggers. When I'm working with an associate I always suggest that the first two questions to be asked before an overtake are ...

1. Do I need to overtake at all? (The answer ... It depends! For example, if you plan to stop a couple of miles up the road, why bother? :nenau: )

2. If I need to overtake, can I wait until road conditions allow a "sneaky" overtake? (after a roundabout, leaving a speed restriction, up a hill etc)

To which you might add….

3. Do you want to meet yourself coming the other way?

To which you might add….

3. Do you want to meet yourself coming the other way?

Well, I am lost and looking for myself. So, should you happen to see me before I get back, ask me to wait will you, please?

Seems to be the official IAM stance now, don’t overtake unless you can do it when the car is well under the limit. This has come along from the new IAM approach that NSLs are sacrosanct.

It’s not necessarily the wrong approach, but some cars can accelerate quickly now, almost as fast as bikes and some drivers like to use that acceleration. This can throw an unintended hazard into the equation.

Sometimes much safer to overtake when the overtakee is at a steady speed, steady course and has no option but to go straight on. Even if this means creeping over the limit a tad.

Also remember when overtaking exiting a RAB you can be riding on an unswept area leant over. Doesn’t mean don’t do it, it does mean we’re introducing more complications to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom