Puig Touring Screen Review

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a quickie to say I fitted a Puig Touring Screen prior to a 4 day Yorkshire Moors/surrounding area trip last week - here are my thoughts:

It's big, but the bike's style carries it well, so it doesn't look out of place IMO - both bikes in the photo have the screen on - one clear, one light smoke.

It works even on the lowest setting - visor up speeds upto 80mph are do-able, with very little buffetting - I'm around 5ft 11½

I'd removed my visor pinlock (I prefer the sharper vision) while using the standard screen, as the airflow was enough to stop any steaming up if I opened the front vent (Neotec), but I had to put it back in, as the lack of airflow meant I kept steamng up with the visor fully shut - bugger. Summer days may be a bit of a problem, heat wise.

Torso, shoulders, and helmet are all better protected (obviously)

I haven't fitted an additional support and ran the bike to (cough) xxx mph, but I expect I will fit one as over time there may be strain on the mounting mech.

Overall, well worth the money - on my previous GSA with the bigger standard screen I always felt a bit more height/width would be beneficial, and that's what the Puig gives you :thumb

HTH

Attachments

• Highway Man Cafe.jpg
    Highway Man Cafe.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,285
One of you has your front tyre fitted incorrectly! Great screen though, I have had one on my Adventure for a few years now.

I didn't go well with Puig Touring, even with spoiler added later. I'm 6'2,5 and had it on tallest settings and still had a lot of buffeting over 65 mph. Tried Gvi, still not good. Ended up with Wunderlich biggest screen and MRA biggest spoiler and now I have zero buffeting with screen half way up.

I have the same screen on my '21 Rallye, in the regular size, (19"). I'm 5'10" with a longish torso. Couple of observations to add to the above.

I found the screen was taller than I needed so I put it in the lowest position which worked well for a smooth and quiet airflow around my helmet, but this produced quite a bit of strain/flex on the mount and I was considering one of the mount supports which I really didn't relish.

I decided to remove an 1 1/8" from the top of the screen. This allowed me to raise the screen which produced two benefits:

1. it still gave me clear and quiet air around my helmet,
2. as you raise up the screen, the mount bracket is at a less acute angle and becomes stiffer, so it flexes less (especially when the aluminum pivot is at 90* to the windshield), so no need for a support.

I think the only slightly negative is that I can feel a fair bit of air coming around the sides which on a wet day might be an issue, but will have to wait and see how that goes.

Overall though I'm very pleased with the screen, especially at the price, and it's a keeper.

Rookie question from someone who’s only just bought a GS.

Do you look through the screen or over it?

I’ve just got the standard screen and I can’t have it really high or I have to look through it and the distortion is horrible.

I’m quite happy with it low so I can look over it.

I’ve just got the standard screen and I can’t have it really high or I have to look through it and the distortion is horrible.

Standard screen would not go high enough for me to look through, but I prefer to look over whatever screen I've got.

I look over the Puig, which is good as it's a light smoke. If you can't see over a standard, the Puig isn't for you, as it's much taller.

I look over the Puig, which is good as it's a light smoke. If you can't see over a standard, the Puig isn't for you, as it's much taller.

I've had a dark smoke PUIG on my GSA for 2 years now. I am 6' 8'' and don't get any buffering and can ride visor up at motorway speeds.

I didn't know it was wrong until it was pointed out on here - I guess there was a possibility it's wet weather performance was compromised, but I had no slides :thumb

yes sometime bike god is on the good side, I bet many have look at their bike now. :thumb

This thread really helped deciding that I need a puig screen when I go on tour in May round France. I am 6ft 2in at that height have any of you order the touring screen with the visor extender?

Love any feedback, before I order.

Rich

I also have one fitted and the Cymarc screen brace which really helps.

This thread really helped deciding that I need a puig screen when I go on tour in May round France. I am 6ft 2in at that height have any of you order the touring screen with the visor extender?

Love any feedback, before I order.

Rich

Hi Rich, I have the Puig Tour with factory fitted aerofoil. At 6'5" I need the height ;-) It works perfectly but do experiment with setting height and position of the aerofoil. Interestingly I find mine works best 20% up and the aerofoil in its lowest position. Air then passes over the top of my lid with room to spare. By the way, I would highly recommend a screen brace, I have the Cymarc which is well engineered, easy to fit and rock solid in operation. Enjoy La Belle France ;-)

So the Cymrac braces are a definite buy, but at 6 2 I may get away from have the touring screen extender. I would rather not buy the screen with the extender unless I really need it as it feels like another screen to look through if I don’t need it.

I have the PUIG and then added the extender, I don’t look through either of them, but in the summer, deflect it so that at less than 30mph I get a blast of air in the face.

I’m a tadge taller than 6’2”.

Back
Top Bottom