Ulster Tower and Somme Association websites

The Somme battlefields are well worth a visit. My Grandfather got the all expenses paid tour of the Somme 1916-18 courtesy of the AIF.

I researched his war...and the family and I visited all the sites where he fought... very, very moving.

I did it on 4 wheels - it would be very interesting on 2.

CSC_3799.JPG

That looks like the Thiepval memorial, but from unusual camera angles. It is huge and easily visible from kilometres away, it towers over any nearby trees. I seem to remember is was originally built using French bricks but then rebuilt with British bricks, and there are quite a few of them I think. Google/Wiki will probably correct me on that....
Basically, like Passchendaele, a very sobering experience.

That looks like the Thiepval memorial, but from unusual camera angles. It is huge and easily visible from kilometres away, it towers over any nearby trees. I seem to remember is was originally built using French bricks but then rebuilt with British bricks, and there are quite a few of them I think. Google/Wiki will probably correct me on that....
Basically, like Passchendaele, a very sobering experience.

It is indeed.

My wife and I visited Ypres one evening when there was some kind of commemorative event going on for Ulster regiments and watching the pipers march towards the memorial made it a very special evening.

I lived in a little town called Warhem just outside Dunkerque

Even the small village (as it was when I was there back in 1996) had a war grave cemetery

The whole area is littered with small plots to the fallen, it's a very nice area to stay and toodle about then again I am a bit biased

BUT be warned Fromage de Bergues is a tad stinky but the rest of them are pretty damn nice!

Amazing what you can discover just toodling around

A lot of that area used to be in Belgium but I believe the borders were redrawn after WW1, when you realise it was(is) the Flanders area It makes more sense, and a further bit of info is that Eric Bogle wrote the Green fields of France after visiting this region back in 1976

Back
Top Bottom