Bloody TRF....

the way some of the riders are riding on a public road

20mph. Madness.

My last outing with the TRF group was mostly on the road and we were all on big-ish bikes (I was on the GSA). Toddmeister should have some pics too (for the court) I guess. :D

I sent them a message about 3 weeks ago now. Not even had the courtesy of a reply, not even an automated one. I think I shall just give up on them they seem awefully cliquey from the contact I have had so far.

Try using a false name.
If they reply - you have your answer.

Perhaps they're southerners :D

Disagree all you want but I wouldn't bother making my points without substance although sorry both you and the other 'woe is me' had problems :D

Neither would I. I have nothing to gain from doing so. The fact that you’ve had a positive experience doesn’t mean that nobody else could possibly have had a negative one.

I don't think TRF has "reps".

Anyway: I joined them recently, have had just a few interactions with them, and all have been very positive. I've met friendly people of all ages/genders and abilities if I have to be honest. And I am not one that generally likes riding in groups, etc. I tend to do most of my riding on my own - I'm not the most "sociable biker".

Doesn't take much of a leap to imagine that if one wants to join a group of offroading people (TRF or anything else) without having an offroad capable bikes is probably (I might be going on a limb here) a no go.

I don't think TRF has "reps".

A “rep” in this context being someone who attends an event on a TRF stand with TRF flags and TRF branding to promote the TRF.

Doesn't take much of a leap to imagine that if one wants to join a group of offroading people (TRF or anything else) without having an offroad capable bikes is probably (I might be going on a limb here) a no go.

The first show in question was an adventure bike show, focused on the likes of GSs, big KTMs, Triumphs, etc. If they’re not interested in riders with that kind of bike, it doesn’t take a leap of imagination that the TRF were at the wrong place. And in this thread we’ve got people talking about and posting photos GSs being on rides. So it’s both a “no go” (in your words) and welcomed?

I have been on a Dorset TRF ride that included a female. She was not riding an "enduro", but a CRF250L.

In this context, I'm assuming by "enduro", you mean a competition bike? fair to say this is very much the bike of choice in Dorset TRF. I myself don't have one, even though it does say Enduro on the side. Other riders seem OK with this, even when occasionally helping me manhandle it over something a lighter bike and a more talented rider may have cleared.

UPDATE:

I managed to speak to the lady in Burton-on-Trent today and she is getting someone to give me a ring with a view to going to one of the meetings. Finally progress has been made. I shall let you know how I get on.

I joined my local TRF about 2 yrs ago or so, paid my fees, went to a meeting then joined there facebook page and got involved. The people I met are all good people and not had any of the stuffiness or anything that some seem to think there is within the TRF. My local group is an eclectic mix and there's a lot of push to take newbies out, there are groups of mates that ride together regularly as they are "mates" but still plenty to get involved with.

A “rep” in this context being someone who attends an event on a TRF stand with TRF flags and TRF branding to promote the TRF.

The first show in question was an adventure bike show, focused on the likes of GSs, big KTMs, Triumphs, etc. If they’re not interested in riders with that kind of bike, it doesn’t take a leap of imagination that the TRF were at the wrong place. And in this thread we’ve got people talking about and posting photos GSs being on rides. So it’s both a “no go” (in your words) and welcomed?

They don’t have reps just members that put their hand up and give up their time to man a stand…

They attended all kinds of events with regular members doing the stands, at some they’ll have regular members leading people on local rides which maybe tailored for bigger bikes and people new to offroad.

Everything done my the TRF is by people who put up their hand to get involved and put something back into a organisation that looks to keep our green lanes open

Like many things we enjoy in life you’ll find that what runs them is people giving up their time if things need or could be improved then one fix is to be prepared to put your hand up

I think it's safe to say, and as Cookie and others have alluded to, you only get out of anything in life what you're prepared to put into it.

It's no more complicated than that.

Andres

I think it's safe to say, and as Cookie and others have alluded to, you only get out of anything in life what you're prepared to put into it.

It's no more complicated than that.

Andres

Exactly and giving up at the first hurdle doesn't bode well :D

Wait till he's confronted with a proper hurdle out on the trails.........

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

They do actually have reps, there's two kinds. The ones below and also each group has a rep that deals with national meetings etc, the local Devon rep reports national thinking at meetings. There are also many adhoc volunteers that help out along the way.
https://trail.trf.org.uk/local-groups-map/?page=CiviCRM&q=civicrm/profile/map&map=1&gid=22&reset=1

Lots of organisations and clubs have titles for different roles but all you should take from that is someone put their hand up to take on a task - They are not proper jobs, they don’t have job descriptions and management and development behind them quite often the are done by the only person not sitting in their hands when a candidate to take on the task was asked for.

Lots of organisations and clubs have titles for different roles but all you should take from that is someone put their hand up to take on a task - They are not proper jobs, they don’t have job descriptions and management and development behind them quite often the are done by the only person not sitting in their hands when a candidate to take on the task was asked for.
I know many people who fill such roles in clubs and they do just as good job as if they were "proper jobs". I know at least three people who fill the role of group contact/rep in the link I posted and whilst they did "put their hand up to take on a task" they have done if for years and to a very high standard. There's a long list of very accomplished hand putter uppers in the TRF filling many important roles from event organisation, ROW officer (a term that our local authority likes to use), researchers, map markers and just people happy to meet and greet new members. Just because they don't have a job description doesn't make it not a job, they are all jobs that need doing.

why not buy an o/s map and find the lanes yourself! its part the fun of riding your bike ,you may find others will join you .

Back
Top Bottom