GS from November to be supplied with Brembo front calipers

Both are good. Pad choice makes a huge difference. There's a trade off between those that generate more heat than others in terms of fade, depending on fluid used and on feel depending on whether braided hoses are used or not.

Best brakes I ever experienced were Brembo Gold line Radial callipers fitted to a Gen 2 Aprilia RSVR. You could lock that front wheel up from three figure speeds if you wanted to. In fact the Gold line Radials used from 2001 on Aprilias, Ducatis and other bikes were all superb but pad choice was critical. Sintered EBH HH pads were de facto if Brembo OEM pads weren't stretched to and crappy rubber hoses best changed for braided ones.

Saying that, the callipers on my 2016 GSA are superb. No complaints at all with those. I think either are fine and many differences will be down to variables in pads used, fluid used, temperatures generated and how heavy handed or not people are with brakes. Most brakes can be run into fade. The track shows up very quickly which factory brakes might benefit from better hoses, pads and choice of fluid or indeed calipers. For road use other than badge bragging rights, I can't really see there being significant difference in use between Hayes or Brembo. As long as I don't ride on the things and they work well when needed.

I doubt there’s much objective difference - a caliper is a caliper and pressure is pressure.

Different pads might make it feel different, maybe.
That's just not true I'm afraid

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I'm coming up on 3k miles with my Brembos and am very pleased with them, good feel and solid bite if I want to haul down quickly.

Feel! It's about the feel!

Were the two “experiences” effectively the same? As close as they could be , same roads , same time of year , same riding , same country.
Was the fade due to pad material overheating (resulting in poor braking)or fluid boiling (resulting in no brakes at all)? The lever started to go to the bars and needed the span increased to take up the lost lever but slowing for a bit was the best to regain lever.
Were the pads equally worn, equal thickness, equal weight? Always start a tour with new pads , carry the same gear (minimal)
Same fluid, same age, same water content? New fluids as part of the touring pre prep.
Same heat into the brakes from earlier driving? Same roads , similar speeds , not a test situation.
Same bike, same weight? One was the 1200 gs the second 1250 gs
Does one caliper retain (significantly) more heat than the other? God knows , but they faded.
Were the discs the same, diameter, thickness, material, weight? Similar mileage

I do push the bike and the Brembro were good but in the case of my usage the Hayes were just better , no fade and having experience of both types this is what I found.

Fair enough, your experience is your experience, but I guess you can see that there’s a lot of factors that might colour your perspective.

Were the two “experiences” effectively the same? As close as they could be , same roads , same time of year , same riding , same country.
Was the fade due to pad material overheating (resulting in poor braking)or fluid boiling (resulting in no brakes at all)? The lever started to go to the bars and needed the span increased to take up the lost lever but slowing for a bit was the best to regain lever.
Were the pads equally worn, equal thickness, equal weight? Always start a tour with new pads , carry the same gear (minimal)
Same fluid, same age, same water content? New fluids as part of the touring pre prep.
Same heat into the brakes from earlier driving? Same roads , similar speeds , not a test situation.
Same bike, same weight? One was the 1200 gs the second 1250 gs
Does one caliper retain (significantly) more heat than the other? God knows , but they faded.
Were the discs the same, diameter, thickness, material, weight? Similar mileage

I do push the bike and the Brembro were good but in the case of my usage the Hayes were just better , no fade and having experience of both types this is what I found.

Fair enough, your experience is your experience, but I guess you can see that there’s a lot of factors that might colour your perspective.

Agree but I found out the hard way , standard Brem standard pads , fluid vs Hayes , standard pads , standard fluid , the Hayes won . No track riding but using to the extreme . I always felt Brem should be the best but the Hayes are good and the feel is great twined with stoping power when needed on a hard section of bends , normally down hill chasing bait lol

I know what badge I want on my brakes, ive seen a bowl in showroom under leaking front calipers (Hayes) cost cutting gone wrong, imo of course

Mine were changed as I did have a small weep , but Bm again did all to rectify , I’m sure I read that Brem have had similar issues. Sometimes the badge does not always mean best. Bit like an overpriced Stone Island top , it’s a badge ….👍👍🍺🍺

In reality, does it matter. For the average rider both types work fine. Yes, there was the leaking problem on the Hayes, but BMW got it sorted. As for the fade issue on the Brembo, then you’re riding to fast and using the brakes to much.

Anyone who rode bikes fitted with drums and shoes front and back are laughing at these new tangled brakes that actually work

In reality, does it matter. For the average rider both types work fine. Yes, there was the leaking problem on the Hayes, but BMW got it sorted. As for the fade issue on the Brembo, then you’re riding to fast and using the brakes to much.
What if you like to do track days? I prefer the non fading hayes ta very much, and yes have had brembos on track as well.

I’m on my 6th 1200GS, the latest is my first with Hayes brakes - the Hayes are at least as good as the past Brembos - the one piece Brembos should have been theoretically better than the split calliper BUT they aren’t.

Maybe Im enjoying myself a bit to much , must start to behave and mellow :green gri..........................................:beerjug: Got the V4 now so thats out the window...Ps , if I used my brakes less I would crash.

New Triple Black sitting in Motoradd Belfast with Brembo's on it. Salesman said they will all be coming that way now.

There is also some snobbery involved. Levi Strauss jeans v M&S. Both do the job!

Audi vs VW would be a better analogy, as Brembo own Hayes. One typically has painted calipers, the other doesn't. But have to say I'm a bit miffed to have ended up with the Hayes - Brembo have much more feel, and though possibly the Hayes might stop you sooner.

Well , I have a pair of black Brembo in my garage that are up for grabs , I did feel the same about the Hayes but once out and used they are better , feel , and stopping power when you need it . So any offers for the set , 4000 miles on them .You know you want them now Yofi lol

Audi vs VW would be a better analogy, as Brembo own Hayes. One typically has painted calipers, the other doesn't. But have to say I'm a bit miffed to have ended up with the Hayes - Brembo have much more feel, and though possibly the Hayes might stop you sooner.

Say Audi vs Skoda…

Back
Top Bottom