How much is it worth?

Andres, it is interesting. the OP and I are best mates. i messaged him yesterday and suggested keep it for another year and do a few more miles.

the flip of that is - if you want to change and can afford it (with a little nod to spending money on bikes is daft anyway) why not!!

if i was in the market id offer him a bad price with the wheels and trinkets still on it. although he's never forgiven me for offering my Paul Smart for 7k then changing my mind!

Barry

Andres, it is interesting. the OP and I are best mates. i messaged him yesterday and suggested keep it for another year and do a few more miles.

the flip of that is - if you want to change and can afford it (with a little nod to spending money on bikes is daft anyway) why not!!

if i was in the market id offer him a bad price with the wheels and trinkets still on it. although he's never forgiven me for offering my Paul Smart for 7k then changing my mind!

Barry

Those Paul Smarts are lovely , I don’t blame him ;) I nearly bought one when they came out……ho hum………if only.

Of course, people are free to buy/sell bikes as they see fit as it’s their money after all. I guess I have a bit of a ‘romantic’ idea about bikes and stuff and find it a bit depressing when it’s all distilled down to the practicalities of achieving the best ROI. But hey, we’re all different :thumb2

Andres

It is ……if you are a buyer

No, it really is not. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a well looked after boxer with 30K miles and thought nothing about buying my last GSA with 15K miles as it was well looked after. It comes down to service record and condition. And price. Otherwise you'd be swapping bikes every few years for new ones. I know of a local lad to me with two 1150 GS bikes. One has close on 100K miles on it and he's ridden around the world on that bike but changes oil regularly and has really looked after it.

You would think even a modern 1 litre turbo petrol engined car with 15K miles was as good as new. Why would you think that a relatively under stressed boxer engine would be significantly worn at that mileage? I bought an older RT years ago with 30K miles on it then used it to commute large distances for another 4 years without a worry. I must have put many thousands of miles on that bike and it never let me down as long as I kept on top of regular servicing and maintenance.

The only thing I'd say about modern machinery is it is totally reliant upon the reliability of electronics to a greater degree than ever before so it boils down to how reliable some of those systems are. There are some makes I wouldn't touch at that mileage due to their reputation for failing electronics.

If we all think that a boxer is on it's last legs with 15K miles then what the hell are we doing even considering buying one?

I get that some people might think so but really, I don’t know if the WC’s are different but the oil heads were quite literally only just loosening up properly at that mileage.

I never could get my head around those that were more interested in trade-in value and thus chopping in at low miles rather than experiencing their bike running optimally - pretty fucked up set of values IMO.

Andres

I agree Andres.

If we all think that a boxer is on it's last legs with 15K miles then what the hell are we doing even considering buying one?

My 07 RT was on 72k when I sold it - still running sweet. Bought my first LC with 13k on the clock, stolen @ 32k. Second LC @ 6k when written-off, current 1250 @ 14k.

I buy to ride and don't give resale value a second thought when buying.

No, it really is not. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a well looked after boxer with 30K miles and thought nothing about buying my last GSA with 15K miles as it was well looked after. It comes down to service record and condition. And price. Otherwise you'd be swapping bikes every few years for new ones. I know of a local lad to me with two 1150 GS bikes. One has close on 100K miles on it and he's ridden around the world on that bike but changes oil regularly and has really looked after it.

You would think even a modern 1 litre turbo petrol engined car with 15K miles was as good as new. Why would you think that a relatively under stressed boxer engine would be significantly worn at that mileage? I bought an older RT years ago with 30K miles on it then used it to commute large distances for another 4 years without a worry. I must have put many thousands of miles on that bike and it never let me down as long as I kept on top of regular servicing and maintenance.

The only thing I'd say about modern machinery is it is totally reliant upon the reliability of electronics to a greater degree than ever before so it boils down to how reliable some of those systems are. There are some makes I wouldn't touch at that mileage due to their reputation for failing electronics.

Nobody thinks that a boxer is on its last legs at 15,000 miles.
The point is that compared to the average mileage 15k is high.
Buyers want the best condition, highest spec, lowest mileage bike for their money.
Every bike sells no matter the age, condition and mileage…….for the right price.

Buyers want the best condition, highest spec, lowest mileage bike for their money.
Every bike sells no matter the age, condition and mileage…….for the right price.

Exactly this.

Yes, I quite understand that but 15K miles on a 30 month old bike I wouldn't class as particularly high. In fact when I looked at my last one, I had a choice of 3 all at around the £12K to £13K mark with mileages ranging from 8K to mine at 15K. I chose the higher mile bike on condition and spec and on the basis of riding them on test rides. It didn't give me a moment's thought that somehow it would be "worse" than a bike with half that mileage using an identical engine simply because it wasn't. Now had it had 40K miles over two years, I would have thought twice at the price asked, but at 15K? No way. Others may be looking for the lowest mileage newest machine they can find at their budget and in many cases they are perhaps thinking of resale value as they may be only intend keeping a bike for a year or two.

As it happens, I kept mine for 3 years which is the shortest I've had just about any machine, but only because I needed to raise funds and its resale value was largely unaffected by the fact I'd put up several thousand more since I bought it because I kept that bike well. It was still close on mint when it finally went last week. It's not worth that much less now (trade) than when I bought it in fact (it'll be retailed back on the market at £10.5 to £11K). I buy bikes to ride them and to enjoy them and any devaluation is simply the cost of that privilege but only a cost if you have to sell on.

Yes, I quite understand that but 15K miles on a 30 month old bike I wouldn't class as particularly high. In fact when I looked at my last one, I had a choice of 3 all at around the £12K to £13K mark with mileages ranging from 8K to mine at 15K. I chose the higher mile bike on condition and spec and on the basis of riding them on test rides. It didn't give me a moment's thought that somehow it would be "worse" than a bike with half that mileage using an identical engine simply because it wasn't. Now had it had 40K miles over two years, I would have thought twice at the price asked, but at 15K? No way. Others may be looking for the lowest mileage newest machine they can find at their budget and in many cases they are perhaps thinking of resale value as they may be only intend keeping a bike for a year or two.

As it happens, I kept mine for 3 years which is the shortest I've had just about any machine, but only because I needed to raise funds and its resale value was largely unaffected by the fact I'd put up several thousand more since I bought it because I kept that bike well. It was still close on mint when it finally went last week. It's not worth that much less now (trade) than when I bought it in fact (it'll be retailed back on the market at £10.5 to £11K). I buy bikes to ride them and to enjoy them and any devaluation is simply the cost of that privilege but only a cost if you have to sell on.

This
As buyers, we all want the best possible bike for our budget

Crikey...I know we expect to take a hit in a year but 14.5K private? I just sold my 16 plate GSA to a dealer, 17K miles, and got £10K for it, and know I could have sold it for £11K private. He's putting it up for close to 11.5K and he'll get it. I would have pitched that bike, serviced and nicely run in with the extras, new tyres and wheels at £15.5K dall day long privately or 14K dealer trade in. Lovely paint job, lovely bike. GLWTS.

I'm with you, apart from lovely paint job. It's a Marmite thing and although I love Marmite, 40th Anni colours?................................nah. Yesterday I bought new TB. I've got a 2017 TE with19K on the clock. I was offered 9K from three dealers. I've been looking very closely at very low mileage (1K or under) 2021 TBs and found them priced privately between £16200 and £16500. Draw your own conclusions.

Pretty shocking devaluation then. I had no problem getting £10K for my bike with 2K less miles although a year older. The lowest I was offered was £9K and I turned that down. A week later it was sold for £1K more with no problems. Looking privately I reckoned around £11 to £11.5K was spot on for that year with low miles to the same spec and standard as mine so figured it had to be worth £10K dealer and that's exactly what it fetched.

I wouldn't buy any bike new these days. Too much of a hit. If I bought again, I quite fancy a Pinagale V2 but will keep the RSVR whatever happens.

Average miles for a japanese bike is reckoned by the trade to be about two thousand miles per year, however, on a bmw up to five thousand per year is acceptable , unless of course you are trying to part ex a three year old bmw bike at a bmw main dealer and it has fifteen thousand miles on the clock and will incur much shaking of the head and sucking through the teeth .

Pretty shocking devaluation then. I had no problem getting £10K for my bike with 2K less miles although a year older. The lowest I was offered was £9K and I turned that down. A week later it was sold for £1K more with no problems. Looking privately I reckoned around £11 to £11.5K was spot on for that year with low miles to the same spec and standard as mine so figured it had to be worth £10K dealer and that's exactly what it fetched.

I wouldn't buy any bike new these days. Too much of a hit. If I bought again, I quite fancy a Pinagale V2 but will keep the RSVR whatever happens.

A 1k difference for a GS on a 17 plate vs a GSA on a 16 plate doesn't sound odd? And you have to factor in whether a discount was received on the new bike or else loaded onto the px. Sounds similar ballparks to me. Besides which, when you get to 4-6 year old bike the depreciation slows dramatically, presumably because the number of punters with 10k to spend on a bike is quite strong. So you can't compare the cost of swapping bikes of that age with one or two year old bikes.

FWIW to the woodster, last December got 9.1k (or £9750 if you wanted to factor in the discount) for my 2017 TE exclusive (10k miles) in px for a GS TB. Given that prices have increased by 1k across the board on these bikes since late last year, the offers you received sounds bang on. They were, after all, knocking the non-tft GS TE Exclusives out for 14.5k shortly to the arrival of the tft upgrades. 5k cost for 40 mths use seemed realistic to me.

Average miles for a japanese bike is reckoned by the trade to be about two thousand miles per year, however, on a bmw up to five thousand per year is acceptable , unless of course you are trying to part ex a three year old bmw bike at a bmw main dealer and it has fifteen thousand miles on the clock and will incur much shaking of the head and sucking through the teeth .

Truly shocking. A by-product of the PCP concept where mileage is limited and encourages buying another new bike to push the balloon payment up the road for another 3 years. My mate is 60 this year and plans to die with his balloon payment outstanding!!

A 1k difference for a GS on a 17 plate vs a GSA on a 16 plate doesn't sound odd? And you have to factor in whether a discount was received on the new bike or else loaded onto the px. Sounds similar ballparks to me. Besides which, when you get to 4-6 year old bike the depreciation slows dramatically, presumably because the number of punters with 10k to spend on a bike is quite strong. So you can't compare the cost of swapping bikes of that age with one or two year old bikes.

FWIW to the woodster, last December got 9.1k (or £9750 if you wanted to factor in the discount) for my 2017 TE exclusive (10k miles) in px for a GS TB. Given that prices have increased by 1k across the board on these bikes since late last year, the offers you received sounds bang on. They were, after all, knocking the non-tft GS TE Exclusives out for 14.5k shortly to the arrival of the tft upgrades. 5k cost for 40 mths use seemed realistic to me.

I agree. I pushed them up to £9350 and got a good discount on the TB at £17400. I'm happy with the deal.

The myth that bmw bikes don’t depreciate as others do is absolute BS….. regarding trade in values, when I traded my LC GS for and XR1000, I saw the bike back up for sale at £2k more than I was given. I appreciate they have to offer warranty and pay people’s wages but still a big hike….. guess if you want a new bike you have to accept you will get shafted if you want to sell after a short time…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Truly shocking. A by-product of the PCP concept where mileage is limited and encourages buying another new bike to push the balloon payment up the road for another 3 years. My mate is 60 this year and plans to die with his balloon payment outstanding!!

PCP is great
We should all have one

regarding trade in values, when I traded my LC GS for and XR1000, I saw the bike back up for sale at £2k more than I was given. I appreciate they have to offer warranty and pay people’s wages but still a big hike….. guess if you want a new bike you have to accept you will get shafted if you want to sell after a short time…..

I understand the AUB warranty costs the dealer around £500, then they'll service it, possibly with new tyres etc., and they'll probably take an offer rather than the ticket price. £2k mark-up, to me, sounds fair.

I understand the AUB warranty costs the dealer around £500, then they'll service it, possibly with new tyres etc., and they'll probably take an offer rather than the ticket price. £2k mark-up, to me, sounds fair.

Yep, the Approved Used Warranty costs the dealer £500 (probably why a dealer close to me who sold me my 800 didn't bother to pay the premium and lied that it had the warranty...... that one came back to bite them in the arse when it cost them £6500 for a new engine a few months later)

OOPS SORRY meant to say that due to a clerical error they failed to complete the warranty application paperwork despite being reminded on a number of occasions by myself and BMW UK after I made a complaint

Back
Top Bottom