How much is it worth?

A 1k difference for a GS on a 17 plate vs a GSA on a 16 plate doesn't sound odd? And you have to factor in whether a discount was received on the new bike or else loaded onto the px. Sounds similar ballparks to me. Besides which, when you get to 4-6 year old bike the depreciation slows dramatically, presumably because the number of punters with 10k to spend on a bike is quite strong. So you can't compare the cost of swapping bikes of that age with one or two year old bikes.

FWIW to the woodster, last December got 9.1k (or £9750 if you wanted to factor in the discount) for my 2017 TE exclusive (10k miles) in px for a GS TB. Given that prices have increased by 1k across the board on these bikes since late last year, the offers you received sounds bang on. They were, after all, knocking the non-tft GS TE Exclusives out for 14.5k shortly to the arrival of the tft upgrades. 5k cost for 40 mths use seemed realistic to me.

My part ex was done after I'd agreed a sale price on the bike I was after which was pretty good value without part ex. I got a decent deal on that, so achieving more than a newer bike for mine isn't that odd considering mileage was a little lower and condition was close on mint. It's not a lot but I'd rather that 10% was in my pocket. Dealers price according to stock levels and demand. GS's are easy to shift if the price is right and condition right. I wasn't comparing px against what is achieved for a 1 yr old bike because most of the devaluation is within the first 3 years of any vehicle's life and you're right, it slows up from there. That's why the best deals currently are to be had on 16 to 18 plate low mileage bikes. For those buying on PCP, they just have to weigh up the cost comparison of PCP/yr with that of devaluation and what they'd achieve come px if buying rather than hire purchase/pcp. I've never bought on pcp because I tend to keep my bikes for 5 years or more on average and have only bought a new bike twice before. Basically, any bike is worth what you want to pay for it to you and this might have other considerations, such as ease of transaction, location, spec etc. I agree, it's splitting hairs to a certain extent. I guess what I don't understand is why some might buy a bike new then sell it within 2 years as PCP is surely more worthwhile in that event?

Back
Top Bottom