Could I sell a 1200 engine.

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Now this is all hypothetical till I hear from the dealer/insurance but…

I got sideswiped overtaking a car which bent the crash bars and more importantly stripped one of the bolts out the crankcase.

The dealer reckons it could be a new engine or at the least new crank cases as it’s an insurance job.

This is the hypothetical bit….If I can buy the engine back from the third party’s insurance (Direct Line so they have no interest in bikes) is it worth my while?

It’s a 12k mile engine and apart from the stripped bolt it’s 100%. The bolt could be drilled and rethreaded or helicoiled or if you don’t use crash bars it wouldn’t need touched.

Do you think I’d get any interest in flogging it or would it just be a fixture in the back of my garage?

What would you do?

I suppose it depends on how much they will sell it for. Could be a good investment...

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

If you can get for very cheap, as good as extended warranty if you keeping bike for longtime

Quite a market for the engine in the aviation world. Many microlights flying around on BMW engines. If I was still playing around I would buy it and buy an aircraft to fit it to.
Worth advertising on the AFORS website if you do get it.

Quite a market for the engine in the aviation world. Many microlights flying around on BMW engines. If I was still playing around I would buy it and buy an aircraft to fit it to.
Worth advertising on the AFORS website if you do get it.

I’ve seen oil cooled Boxers in microlights but I’m not sure whether the LC motor would be so easy to adapt

It has the gearbox inside the engine casings and the output shaft at the front driving a wet clutch.

The oil cooled as far as I know had a separate gearbox that can be removed and a rear facing output shaft directly on the end of the crank

It’s a 12k mile engine and apart from the stripped bolt it’s 100%. The bolt could be drilled and rethreaded or helicoiled or if you don’t use crash bars it wouldn’t need touched.

The thread for one of the 4 bolts that keep the left cylinder attached to the engine on my GSA hex has been stripped. I'm awaiting to get the bike to the mech to get the cylinder off and get the thread fixed.
I guess rethreading the thread for the crash bars bolt should be a relatively simple job on an older (1200) wc engine.

If I were you, I'd buy it if the price is decent.

Is they rest of the bike damaged? JJH

Nope.

I got sideswiped passing 2 cars when the one I was half way past decided to pass the car in front of him. (rookie mistake and I'm quite aware I'm not blameless in this scenario)

I didn't come off tho' I've no idea how and damage was limited to the crash bars and broken clutch lever.

It's literally a bolt that has no other function than hold on the crash bars.

It's a simple claim off the other guy's insurance job as they've admitted full responsibility.

Nope.

I got sideswiped passing 2 cars when the one I was half way past decided to pass the car in front of him. (rookie mistake and I'm quite aware I'm not blameless in this scenario)

I didn't come off tho' I've no idea how and damage was limited to the crash bars and broken clutch lever.

It's literally a bolt that has no other function than hold on the crash bars.

It's a simple claim off the other guy's insurance job as they've admitted full responsibility.

But but but why not simply fix it and ride it? JJH

But but but why not simply fix it and ride it? JJH

I tried doing someone a favour when they reversed out their driveway into the side of my car.

‘Get it fixed and I’ll give you the money for it’ and as you can guess that didn’t end well.

I’m not chasing round buying new/second hand crash bars and tapping holes (which I’m quite capable of doing)when I can chuck it into a dealer and get it done right. That’s okay with an old banger but not the most expensive bike I’ve ever owned.

If it’s off the road for a bit and my insurance goes up slightly then so be it.

If they pay for a replacement engine it will be a bare engine only.
2nd hand engines go from 500 to 1200 depending on condition etc.
You will have a new engine just like a new bike.
Do you honestly think you will need it?
Like a lot of spares it could sit an a garage floor for the next 10 years.

What do you think the damage might have been without the crash bars ?

That’s the question. It took a fair bang and the crash bar is bent quite a bit.

I think the rocker cover would have gone but whether that would have damaged anything under it I wouldn’t like to say.

One advantage of the crash bars was I was able to ride it home.

Attachments

• 79A320F1-8B5C-4FC5-AAA6-1724EF35BE84.jpeg
    79A320F1-8B5C-4FC5-AAA6-1724EF35BE84.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 339
X HEADS and u still could have ridden it home

Meanwhile, back to the original question.
As has been hinted it depends what price you pay.
I haven't looked up the price for a short motor but you can bet that this will be a cheaper option for insurance purposes then rebuilding on new crankcases at £120/hr, esp. as BMW have produced so many spare engines!!
Anything under £500 could be worth it to me, but who knows how deep your pockets are?

Quick analogy , at work we had one particular salvage company that was contracted to get all of our written off panda cars, patrol cars and vans, I was talking to one of their bosses when they picked up 3 crash damaged low mileage sub 12 month old Ford Focus diesels and he said selling undamaged body panels and interiors was fine but they were stuck with motors on the shelf because the vehicles they fitted were new enough not to be suffering mileage and age related failures.

Make sure before you buy it that their is actually a market for it, remember there are probably still a number of very low mileage motors from the flaking paint debacle hanging around that did not reached the dealers skips never mind the crushers

Ive recently had my engine casings replaced due to corrosion as this seems to be the alternative to changing engines.
The dealer stamped the original engine number into the new casings. Could there be a potential fro duplicate engine numbers??

Unfortunately the buying back of the engine isn’t going to happen.

Unexpectedly it looks like the bike is going to be a write off.

On stripping it down it was found that as well as the engine the petrol tank was split and the rear subframe was twisted.

Total cost to fix….£12,700 :eek:

Back
Top Bottom