1150 gsa 2004- Fault finding…

Ok here’s the answer:

1) I did test the coils one of them isn’t working - the melted one.
2) when the bike is running and gets to temperature - the engine stops and the electrics cut off - lights go off / instruments go off / fuel pump goes off. Nothing. The electrics won’t come on again and start the engine until it’s cooled down. Then the circle of life begins again.
3) I have released the cable ties around the head stock and checked for breakages and no shorts or breakages found on wires to the ignition.

Check your main earth connection on the gearbox casing. The connection naturally cycles through temperature changes.

I can understand a faulty coil causing the engine running issues you describe, but I agree with others - that would not cause a complete electrical blackout.

I find threads like these really helpful because if the problems haven’t yet happened to me they are probably going to at some stage :D

Sorted ??? Coils arrived today so changed them over and started her up. No issues at all as it got up to temperature and left it idling for about half an hour. Let it sit for 20mins and started agin…no problem. Then took it for 15 mile ride. No problem and performance obviously greatly improved now it’s running on both cylinders. This evening went out for 50 miles and all good…on road and rough tracks 🎉🎉. I don’t want to be premature and close the thread but let’s say it sorted….it must have been the bad coil causing electric to cut out when it got up to temperature. I don’t know enough to say that for sure but it would be useful to know before closing thread. Could it have been throwing the lambda sensor into a spasm ? I definitely seen a thread on another forum where it was the lambda sensor causing the bike to cut out. That guy replaced the sensor and no problem after that. Either way all the help given here is massively appreciated 👍👍 🍻

Sorted ??? Coils arrived today so changed them over and started her up. No issues at all as it got up to temperature and left it idling for about half an hour. Let it sit for 20mins and started agin…no problem. Then took it for 15 mile ride. No problem and performance obviously greatly improved now it’s running on both cylinders. This evening went out for 50 miles and all good…on road and rough tracks ����. I don’t want to be premature and close the thread but let’s say it sorted….it must have been the bad coil causing electric to cut out when it got up to temperature. I don’t know enough to say that for sure but it would be useful to know before closing thread. Could it have been throwing the lambda sensor into a spasm ? I definitely seen a thread on another forum where it was the lambda sensor causing the bike to cut out. That guy replaced the sensor and no problem after that. Either way all the help given here is massively appreciated ���� ��

Glad you seem to have sorted the problem out but leaving a non water-cooled engine ticking over for any great length of time is not good for them and can lead to serious damage or even fire, just a wee heads up.

I don’t know enough to say that for sure but it would be useful to know before closing thread.

Don’t close the thread. What is the point of closing a technical thread ? .. keep it open so it can be added to in the future if or when needed or the actual cause of the problem is found at a future date. Keeps all the relevant information in the one thread.

Back
Top Bottom