Dokkum, Holland

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, Anyone stayed there or maybe the surrounding area ?
Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers Doc

Groningen, is the steel town of Holland. I do know that.

It’s not that far from Assen, so no doubt someone will know something about it.

It looks to be a nice place and seems to have lots of hotels.

Yes i think i could make a nice little trip out of that. Dokkum being the base.

It's supposed to have it's fair share of knocking shops also;

We've toured the area pretty thoroughly over the years. From memory, Dokkum is a typical small town, built to a semi-fortified plan, protected by canals - very attractive. The weather can be somewhat unpredictable in N. Holland, so be prepared - either wet or 4-seasons in one day usually. The main issue in these places is finding safe parking for your faithful steed - it's one thing pulling into these towns for refreshments & parking up casually, quite another leaving your bike unattended in public car parking some distance from your hotel.

Hence we have tended to move away from overnighting in these picturesque towns, to something more practical, so we tend to use the Van der Valk chain - usually out of town, convenient for travellers & most are pretty quirky one way or another. Otherwise it's a trawl through booking.com or similar.

What ever you choose, have a good trip.

first off dont call it holland you will really piss people off, Its Friesland. Holland is just another county/province/area within Netherlands

We've toured the area pretty thoroughly over the years. From memory, Dokkum is a typical small town, built to a semi-fortified plan, protected by canals - very attractive. The weather can be somewhat unpredictable in N. Holland, so be prepared - either wet or 4-seasons in one day usually. The main issue in these places is finding safe parking for your faithful steed - it's one thing pulling into these towns for refreshments & parking up casually, quite another leaving your bike unattended in public car parking some distance from your hotel.

Hence we have tended to move away from overnighting in these picturesque towns, to something more practical, so we tend to use the Van der Valk chain - usually out of town, convenient for travellers & most are pretty quirky one way or another. Otherwise it's a trawl through booking.com or similar.

What ever you choose, have a good trip.

Thanks, We are not planning on going until early next year but i will have a look at the hotel chain you suggested.
If the bike is safe and we can get a meal and a beer at the place were we are staying we will be happy.
But we are open to suggestions especially if you have been to the area.

Thanks Doc

Thanks, We are not planning on going until early next year but i will have a look at the hotel chain you suggested.
If the bike is safe and we can get a meal and a beer at the place were we are staying we will be happy.
But we are open to suggestions especially if you have been to the area.

Thanks Doc

Here is the Van der Valk link ......... https://www.valkexclusief.com/hotels/

If you propose to stay north of Amsterdam, I would suggest: -

Noord Holland - Wieringermeer. Gives easy access to the likes of Alkmaar, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, & Marken. It's near Den Helder, so maybe a day trip to Texel.

Friesland - 3 choices, Sneek, Heerenveen or Leeuwarden. Gives good access to Assen, Groningen, Delfzijl, Emmshaven, Dokkum, the Friesian Lakes (SW of Sneek), Lemmer & Giethoorn/Blokzijl.

First/Last (dependant on your ferry times - Leiden or Utrecht.

Here is the Van der Valk link ......... https://www.valkexclusief.com/hotels/

If you propose to stay north of Amsterdam, I would suggest: -

Noord Holland - Wieringermeer. Gives easy access to the likes of Alkmaar, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, & Marken. It's near Den Helder, so maybe a day trip to Texel.

Friesland - 3 choices, Sneek, Heerenveen or Leeuwarden. Gives good access to Assen, Groningen, Delfzijl, Emmshaven, Dokkum, the Friesian Lakes (SW of Sneek), Lemmer & Giethoorn/Blokzijl.

First/Last (dependant on your ferry times - Leiden or Utrecht.

That's great. Thank you very much. I will have a look.

Dokkum is fine as are most of the surrounding small towns. I would look for a small hotel in one of the surrounding villages for accommodation. We stayed in De Oude Smidse in Westernieland which is a bit further east than Dokkum. Simple accommodation, restaurant in a tiny village situated close to the coast. Prices were pretty good. Safe parking! I am personally not in favour of the Van der Valk chain as these tend to be larger hotels located close to the big motorways. Also some of them have poor reputations for both car theft exactly because they are close to the motorways and rooms being used for other reasons than overnight stays :p
I don't know them all obviously so Squib34 may have better experience. As said my preference and experience is more for something smaller and quieter. Having lived here now for 20 years you get to know the place a bit. Just a question - why north holland?

Dokkum is fine as are most of the surrounding small towns. I would look for a small hotel in one of the surrounding villages for accommodation. We stayed in De Oude Smidse in Westernieland which is a bit further east than Dokkum. Simple accommodation, restaurant in a tiny village situated close to the coast. Prices were pretty good. Safe parking! I am personally not in favour of the Van der Valk chain as these tend to be larger hotels located close to the big motorways. Also some of them have poor reputations for both car theft exactly because they are close to the motorways and rooms being used for other reasons than overnight stays :p
I don't know them all obviously so Squib34 may have better experience. As said my preference and experience is more for something smaller and quieter. Having lived here now for 20 years you get to know the place a bit. Just a question - why north holland?

North Holland. I thought for a short distance from Rotterdam we would give it a go. But if you live there you will know far better than me. There looks to be some decent places to have a ride to.

We spent a long weekend in Groningen just after things were opening up in NL after the first lock down in May last year. Riding is a bit boring as the roads are long, flat and not at all windy. If thats fine then by all means give it a go. If you’re looking to explore “Holland” from Rotterdam there are areas much nicer to chose and a lot closer.
The east side over the “Postbank” towards Apeldoorn and the east of the country is nice. Some lovely villages and the roads are a bit more varied. From Rotterdam itself you can head east along the main waterways towards Nijmegen and then head northwards. This in itself is very picturesque.
Don't want to go into too much detail here and bore everyone reading but if you need more ideas or some routes send me a message and i can dig out what i have.
One thing you need to understand is that the Dutch have an obsession with speed particularly on the smaller roads especially close the the main West Area or “Randstad” area of Holland. This is the country of the “sleeping policemen” or traffic humps. Drives you mad..
Thats exactly why if we go for a day out we always head east or south to get away from them or at least find places where they are less.
Normally we head across the border into the Eifel area of Germany. From Rotterdam an hour and 45 and you are there. Riding there is brilliant.

We spent a long weekend in Groningen just after things were opening up in NL after the first lock down in May last year. Riding is a bit boring as the roads are long, flat and not at all windy. If thats fine then by all means give it a go. If you’re looking to explore “Holland” from Rotterdam there are areas much nicer to chose and a lot closer.
The east side over the “Postbank” towards Apeldoorn and the east of the country is nice. Some lovely villages and the roads are a bit more varied. From Rotterdam itself you can head east along the main waterways towards Nijmegen and then head northwards. This in itself is very picturesque.
Don't want to go into too much detail here and bore everyone reading but if you need more ideas or some routes send me a message and i can dig out what i have.
One thing you need to understand is that the Dutch have an obsession with speed particularly on the smaller roads especially close the the main West Area or “Randstad” area of Holland. This is the country of the “sleeping policemen” or traffic humps. Drives you mad..
Thats exactly why if we go for a day out we always head east or south to get away from them or at least find places where they are less.
Normally we head across the border into the Eifel area of Germany. From Rotterdam an hour and 45 and you are there. Riding there is brilliant.

Ok thanks i will have a look at the other places you mentioned. I am always up for suggestions.

Has anyone been over to Texel on the ferry for a ride round ?

Back
Top Bottom