Things to do when weather is shite in Chichester area?

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Staying near Chichester from Saturday for a week and looks like we are going to get some rain. Any recommendations?

Go to the Anchor Bleu in Bosham and get totally twatted…..
Just had a gander on google earth. That would probably be a good day out for myself irrespective of the weather. Unfortunately my Mrs isn’t much of a drinker. Looks like a nice place. I may work out a cycling route to include a couple of pints on one of the nicer days!

Go to the heritage theme park on Hayling Island and see what it was like to go to the seaside in the 1960s
https://goo.gl/maps/xKbmpwwTnc8wFTxt8

I was brought up in Norfolk in the 60s so I saw it in real time. Not sure that is something for a wet day. Getting a wet arse on the rides doesn’t appeal! :D

The weather for the next few days is looking good ... get over to Arundel for the day ,,, walk and take lunch at The Black Rabbit :thumb2

The weather for the next few days is looking good ... get over to Arundel for the day ,,, walk and take lunch at The Black Rabbit :thumb2
Don’t arrive until Saturday. Just looked at it on google earth and streetview. Looks like there is a nice circular walk we could do through Arundel Park, South Stoke and Offham, taking in the nature reserve en route. Might do that on Saturday on the way as we can’t get into our place until 4pm. Thanks

The Roman palace at Fishbourne, Arundel Castle, The Wolds outdoor museum of ancient buildings) where Repair Shop is filmed, Goodwood Circuit. Newhaven Fort along the coast towards Kent

Go to the Crab Shack in Worthing for lunch

Head up to the Goodwood Circuit. There will probably track days on (check the website) so you can watch expensive kit being used as it was meant to be.

It been a while .. but I recall Bignor Roman Villa was more impressive than Fishbourne, for the location if not for the size of a mosaic.
Then take a drive to the top of the Downs nearby and watch the rain coming down on Staines Street, the site of an old Roman road. (Used to be available for trail riding before the NERC act. Little bout of nostalgia now)
Weald and Downland museum is a good suggestion.
Chichester Theatre.

We usually stay near Emsworth, when doing this coast. How about the Naval Dockyards at Portsmouth, if the weather lets you down. Easiest to take the train into Harbour Station. Maybe a bracing walk along Southsea front or the Spinnaker Tower. West Dean gardens are nice, but we are reaching end of season. Uppark National Trust. Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve. Watching the sailing at Bosham when the tide is in & weather set fair.

My son, who lives between Portsmouth & Chichester in Bedhampton has suggested, "get a train to Brighton."

Fort Nelson - ports down hill is a good wet day activity

To just stay in Chichester or "Chi" as the pretentious call it and remain out of a car.
Chichester Cathedral, then across the road to the local museum lunch in one of the nice restaurants/pubs or cafes in/around North Street or South Street.
Walk down the Chichester Canal (just the other side of the railway crossing in South Street) and look at the wild life and you may see the mad army officer who rows up and down in a bath tub

But if it is raining train to Portsmouth Harbour Station then either designer and outlet shopping and dining and watching the ferries and ships in Gun Wharf Quays (5 minute walk) and then HMS Victory, the Mary Rose and the Submarine Museum (Ferry across the harbour to Gosport) (5 minute walk in the opposite direction)
HMS Warrior can be seen as you leave the train station and you will also see the new aircraft carriers unless they have been sunk by then.

A 20 minute walk (or short taxi ride) to Old Portsmouth and lunch in one of the Pubs there The Still and West is the traditional one because of the views across the harbour but there are better ones.

Then finish it off with a walk along the Napoleonic and earlier sea defences (The Round Tower Grade i Listed where it is traditional to wave at the ships as they leave for war) past Billy Mannings Clarence Pier Fun Fair if it is open; past the Isle of Wight Hovercraft terminal (concrete ramp) get a return ticket to Ryde; further 10 minute walk to Southsea Castle where Henry VIII watched the Mary Rose sink and then have fish and chips on the South Parade pier where the film Tommy was partly filmed and they just happened to have the cameras rolling when it caught fire.
Taxi back to the station and home

Back
Top Bottom