Footrest Recall

Absolutely. Mine showed no signs of damage whatsoever and were changed without question. I bought mine second hand too on here for a song, so was pleased to get a new pair! Not sure how much they cost to buy new.

I bought mine from my dealer, who id been using since 2000 and after countless bikes, and countless recommendations for new bike with family and friends. When this came to light, I went to the dealership. They literally said "No, No original receipt, No exchange" Which you could imagine my response. The Official BMW line was, from customer services and the website "Exchange, if possible, with original receipt. I contacted another dealership, they said "Yeah bring them in, we'll change them" ......
I kicked off to BMW and they got it sorted. To say I felt let down by my dealership, whom i personally friends with...... The Foot rests were completely cracked through. And cost me around £230.
I still haven't received the new ones, so should wind my neck in

Mine aren’t cracked but are less than 2 years old, I have the receipt and were bought from my local dealer so not waiting for the cracks to appear and will contact them tomorrow for a replacement set.

Mine aren’t cracked but are less than 2 years old, I have the receipt and were bought from my local dealer so not waiting for the cracks to appear and will contact them tomorrow for a replacement set.

Just be aware that it isn't all of the black foot pegs that were faulty, only a batch of them. They will check the part number (well my dealer did) to ascertain whether they need replacing or not.

Yes, that’s correct. I had the invoice so already knew the parts were in scope. Dealer was aware, booked in for next week with no fuss :thumb

Just an update to this. Be very clear with the dealer what is going to happen. It looks like BMW are not offering the newer HP pegs as a replacement in all (any?) cases and the actual recall document in dealers states that they will swap for standard footrests. Not a great deal if you paid £200 for the fancy adjustable ones! It does go on to say they will issue a credit note, but not immediately - only when the claim has been processed. To be fair to my dealer I’ve challenged this and they are replacing now with a set of HP pegs as they do fit both 1250 and 750/850 series bikes - but if you haven’t had your bike done - ask first :thumb

That's the total opposite to my experience and understanding of the situation. I was told by the dealer that if eligible (the foot pegs were the recall ones), they would be replaced with a modified foot peg, or if the customer chose to have standard pegs fitted, a credit note would be issued. Mine were changed without question by Sycamore in Peterborough and were showing no signs of cracking.

The replacement pegs are for the BMW branded ones as I understand, and which are different again to the HP ones. Photographs of each have been shared on this thread.

My BMW Motorrad/ Gilies branded pegs were changed by Barrie Robson York for newly designed Gilies branded footpegs without me having to state which I want, there is an official document that states what they need to do, this includes fitting them, there was no option of me doing it myself as I did with the ones they replaced.

The new ones are still adjustable but with only 2 options rather than the 3. and they have the rubbers that move down to expose spikes when you put your foot on them.

The guys at Barrie Robson also told me that they now have to notify all owners of bikes bought from them with standard pegs that they have standard pegs and are not affected by the "re-call". which makes sense.

My BMW Motorrad/ Gilies branded pegs were changed by Barrie Robson York for newly designed Gilies branded footpegs without me having to state which I want, there is an official document that states what they need to do, this includes fitting them, there was no option of me doing it myself as I did with the ones they replaced.

The new ones are still adjustable but with only 2 options rather than the 3. and they have the rubbers that move down to expose spikes when you put your foot on them.

The guys at Barrie Robson also told me that they now have to notify all owners of bikes bought from them with standard pegs that they have standard pegs and are not affected by the "re-call". which makes sense.

Spot on

As per BMW press release

Again a slightly different experience. I removed mine, dropped them off whilst passing and they gave me a call when the replacements came in which I then fitted.

Again a slightly different experience. I removed mine, dropped them off whilst passing and they gave me a call when the replacements came in which I then fitted.

That's what I wanted really. Anyhow had I nice ride to York and they gave me a cup of coffee and did it for me whist I sat and read MCN. :D

Mine need changing too, by Kearys like “Mad Paddy” however like several on this thread, I’ve noticed that the replacement ones only have 2 adjustment holes. Does this mean they don’t lower the peg as far as the defective ones? Has anyone checked, or know the answer? Hopefully the bottom hole gives the same peg height as the bottom (3rd) hole in the originals.

Had my black footrests replaced last week
Didn't ask for receipt even though I took it with me

I liked the black ones...these are growing on me

I just asked the tech to put them at the lowest

Looks like from the marking on the top they can be moved backwards or forwards. I will have to ask or take them off and have a look

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 141
My dealership (Cannons) tell me they are unavailable, and none have been manufactured yet. And they will contact me when BMW advise them when they are available?

Well....they have definitely been manufactured
Others on here have had them done

Email them the photos above with the tag line

Liar Liar pants on fire!

ps Williams at Manchester fitted mine

Email them the photos above with the tag line

Liar Liar pants on fire!

ps Williams at Manchester fitted mine

Ha ha , that's exactly what I've just done !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom