Motorcycle hire in San Francisco

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dubbelju closed its door a few years ago now. Is anyone aware of alternatives? I am not a fan of Eagle Riders as they really screwed me in 2017 by telling that their GS models had no NAV mount and rented me a clapped out ZUMO 2 model for 25 per day. When we arrived the mount was there. Dubbelju had great bikes and no hassle with trying to make money by renting a crappy old NAV system which didn't even work half the time.

Yeah Dubbelju were very good. I rented GSes from them a couple of times. However, Wolfgang has retired. I think the only bit of business he's doing these days is renting out his Airstream trailer on a hillside somewhere near Gualala up in Sonoma County. It looks nice if you need a stopover.

Someone did mention an alternative rental company recently but I can't remember who it was. If you bear with me, I'll ask a friend who used to work for Dubbelju if there's anywhere she'd recommend.

After the pandemic, I suspect we shall find that many smaller outfits will have been forced into cashing in their rental inventory.

If you want to be BMW specific, MotoQuest, based on Treasure Island appear to still be trading ........... https://www.motoquest.com/motorcycle-rental-locations/san-francisco-motorcycle-rentals/

Having said that, I'm not sure I would forever damn Eagle Rider just for one silly incident. They run a vast fleet & sometimes have some pretty good deals, if you can make them fit with your plans.

My friend said, "A lot of people have been using "Rider's Share" I don't know if Motoquest is still around. I'll check into it when I get home today."

Try Motoquest as they have a great selection of bikes.

thanks - juts sent Motoquest an email. I am still not convinced with Eagle. Seems now they only have 1200 GS models' AND if you want a guarantee on the bike you have to even pay an extra deposit!!! WTF - if I order something I should not have to pay an extra $88 to guarantee it. AND....they say no Nav mounts .....I simply think these guys are out to milk every penny. Motoquest first......

Rented from Dubbelju in dim distant past. Bike was perfect but what a contract. When I said it would take me a week to read the small print the guy just said 'welcome to america!'. Obviously when comparing quotes you need to compare like-with-like not only the bike but cover, excess, cost of extras etc etc. Have a great trip!

having lived over there for 4 years I agree, the paperwork in these sorts of things is crazy. Unfortunately Dubbelju closed their doors early 2020 which is a crying shame as they had great bikes with good service and minimal fuss. Maybe because the guy that ran / owned it was German....

having lived over there for 4 years I agree, the paperwork in these sorts of things is crazy. Unfortunately Dubbelju closed their doors early 2020 which is a crying shame as they had great bikes with good service and minimal fuss. Maybe because the guy that ran / owned it was German....

Wolfgang Taft is also a nice guy. He's a Facebook friend and someone who worked there at Dubbelju is more of a personal friend.

Wolfgang is now living up in Sonoma County and is renting out his Airstream trailer just outside Gualala, in case you're looking for accommodation up that way.

*EDIT* I see I'm repeating myself. Tempus fugit....:rob

Back
Top Bottom