Desert X

If I may make a luggage suggestion, and I don't know all of your luggage variables or preferences, but I would recommend either the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 or 40 for quality and ease of fitting.

I'll be fitting my R40 to my bike (arrives Monday) for my next trip in March. Minimal hardware required, although I'll probably get a rack like Tetley suggested above.

I think hard luggage sticks out a bit too much for the clean lines of this bike, but each to their own. :thumb2

I’m with you on the hard luggage. I’m thinking of just the LH rack and bag from Unit Garage, along with a rack (just ordered from AS3) and Pelicase. That should do me, for now.

In a funny way, it reminds me of the first series R1200GS I had a while ago. Similar basic proportions, power, even (from what I remember) riding position.

I took one out last year and was also reminded of my 05 R1200GS that I used to have, but I found the Desert X a lot peppier and "up for it" than the GS, it has a realy naughty side to it. I loved it

My wife pointed out that the new colours for the 2023 Desert X looks like an 80’s boy bedroom :D

Attachments

• 44E88F41-1A21-44B4-8945-D99F6B8D34B0.jpg
    44E88F41-1A21-44B4-8945-D99F6B8D34B0.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 288
So do I :D
I test rode again a week ago to answer the one big question...’what Is the buffeting like at 60-70?’ I’m 6’+ so do stick above the screen a bit. Back to back against the GS the buffeting was noticeable. All things considered it really is a great bike though and is worth putting on the shortlist.

After an 840 mile weekend's extensive testing I can talk about my experience of buffeting.

There is some. You get used to it, but it's there. On the DDX forum people have mentioned getting the larger screen but that having no effect on buffeting, one chap has cut his screen down and says that that cures it.

It is interesting that the weekend before, I went out on my Mikeyboy off road special with no protection and immediately swapped to the DDX. The buffeting was apparent. Another member of the weekend outing also on a DDX doesn't notice the buffeting.

Puig have just brought out/are bringing out a replacement screen which looks a lot more aerodynamic and looks like it may cure the issue, and doesn't look too bad in comparison to the original. I'm awaiting real world reviews before buying one.

However, the bike is great and well worth putting up with the buffeting you get. After a while you don't notice it as you're too engrossed in riding the bike.

What’s this £1200 Desmo valve service at 18k miles. Flippin ‘ell! That’s another stump up to date an Italian. Still...very nice though.

After an 840 mile weekend's extensive testing I can talk about my experience of buffeting.

There is some. You get used to it, but it's there. On the DDX forum people have mentioned getting the larger screen but that having no effect on buffeting, one chap has cut his screen down and says that that cures it.

It is interesting that the weekend before, I went out on my Mikeyboy off road special with no protection and immediately swapped to the DDX. The buffeting was apparent. Another member of the weekend outing also on a DDX doesn't notice the buffeting.

Puig have just brought out/are bringing out a replacement screen which looks a lot more aerodynamic and looks like it may cure the issue, and doesn't look too bad in comparison to the original. I'm awaiting real world reviews before buying one.

However, the bike is great and well worth putting up with the buffeting you get. After a while you don't notice it as you're too engrossed in riding the bike.

Shame
A lot of modern bikes do it

Have a look at the CalSci web page - they unpack the reasons for and causes of buffeting. And suggest some ways of resolving it. It’s about getting laminar flow across the screen to remain long enough to pass over your head.

A “leading edge slot” (one of those mini adjustable screens), some slots cut in the screen to equalise pressure behind, and angle of attack all help.

It is a shame, JB, as the bike is pretty much perfect except for this.

Thanks for the info Nin. I noticed in Arsey's trip photos that Astrro has a deflector on his, so I will ask him if that works. For now, I bought a smaller Puig screen which makes it better but doesn't remove it completely.

I can wait to see what else comes out too, as both Givi Airflow and MRA screens are really good so I may wait to see what they bring out for the bike.

Thanks for the info Nin. I noticed in Arsey's trip photos that Astrro has a deflector on his, so I will ask him if that works. For now, I bought a smaller Puig screen which makes it better but doesn't remove it completely.

I can wait to see what else comes out too, as both Givi Airflow and MRA screens are really good so I may wait to see what they bring out for the bike.
It is a shame, I rode one for 45 mins or so last week and once above 70 mph the buffeting from an aftermarket screen was making my helmet visor shake and give me blurred vision
Apart from that, it's a cracker
The Tenere 700 screen (for me) ain't good, by any means and I have had to fir screen adjusters, a National Cycle V screen and a Touratech spoiler to make it acceptable.............modern bikes, eh

Have a look at the Norden Expedition fairing. They’re using some of the CalSci principles …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m pretty sure Paul said he had much less buffeting with the deflector in the low position rather than high .

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

I’m pretty sure Paul said he had much less buffeting with the deflector in the low position rather than high .

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

That would figure as most are saying no or a much lower screen, works best

I've had a look at the Cal Sci website and would be interested in seeing their DDX version when they do one. However, their Norden one looks like riot shield attached to a bike.

In my mind, they have to look good too, else I'd fit an R100RT screen to the front of all my bikes if I just wanted wind protection. :D

Let's see what comes to the market.

Back
Top Bottom