Desert X

Last minute decision to go to the ABR shindig at the weekend where Ducati had the full Dtest fleet so it would have been rude not to have a ride. Had to queue from 7.45 until nearly 9 to sign up (inc. £1000 damage waiver) but that was no hardship as the sun was out & queue was full of like minded people. Got one of the last slots of the day - the guys just behind in the queue missed out. Foggy was on the stand during the day, waxing lyrical about the bike having just been out on one (I doubt he'd had to queue...) Come 5 pm and there were a dozen bikes lined up waiting. After a 5 minute briefing we were split into two groups and finally got to have a ride on the bikes. I'm 1.8m/5'11" and could get balls of both feet on the ground. A slow spped test on a small circuit to check we weren't complete numpties and we were then taken out on teh trail proper (including parts of the 'expert' route, ooer). Bike felt well balanced, didn't even notice the weight. of it once on the move. Low 1st/2nd gears and quickshifter (up and down) is a brilliant combo for off road. Riding position felt spot on. Pliant suspension, great display (easilt readable in bright sunshine). Only negative was that it looks like the matte paintwork might mark up quite easily (most of the bikes were marked - but they'll have had a hard life as a test fleet) We only got a total of 20 minutes or so on the bike but enough to be impressed. If you've got one on order I doubt you'll be disappointed.

72d0b1551aae66548553b8ac6883479d.jpg

aab232b2db67dff3923e00e4edab32e8.jpg

d69f8863f766bd754ff3f5c37d12bef7.jpg

4dd3bb8e627665a7665acb0c538651f7.jpg

It’s a great looking bike and certainly didn’t hang out in the hand of a 5 times world enduro champ even with standard tyres

ill take a test ride at my dealer when they arrive as I didn't fancy queuing and dealer is close by.

Im doubtful ill be buying one though as if I do get a new bike id probably get the Aprilia Taureg I think I prefer it (not ridden either) and its £5000 cheaper

I’ve ridden them both as I was considering changing to the Aprillia. They are both great bikes but the Ducati is better for me. The gear shift on the Aprillia is hard work and the wind noise is terrible, neither are an issue on the Ducati.

Had a ride on Stoke’s demo today as whilst mine has now arrived at the dealership there’s a couple of accessories that aren’t due for a week or so.
First impressions - gear lever set too low so that’ll need adjusting - whilst the rear brake lever was also set to low this is easily adjusted by a cleverly pulling out and twisting 180 degrees. Front brake and clutch levers also set at too steep an angle.

Bike feels comfortable only issue for me is standard seat is a little on the soft side. Bar height and reach feel spot on. Standard seat height to peg creates too tight an angle for me so rally seat will be a good option I think.

Through traffic bike easy to manoeuvre and nicely balanced. Out on the twisties this handles really well despite the 21 inch front wheel. Standard screen works well even at ahem legal speeds with my arai tour x lid.

Engine pulls well and a noticeable step in power from 6k onwards - brakes more than adequate and that includes the rear brake when trail braking.

Switch gear all good including buttons to scroll through the various modes - sport on the road is spot on.

Standard fit quick shifter works well up and down the box although I would say the one on the latest 1290 SAR is a tad smoother but this could just be down to the low miles on the bike - 254 when I picked it up.

Finish inside the cockpit is slightly disappointing considering the premium price tag.

All in all thoroughly enjoyed it - just need to wait a week or so whilst the other bits arrive.

Dealer was saying that there won’t be many available this year due to supply issues at the factory.

I've been smitten.

Someone took theirs to the East Mids breakfast yesterday. Had a sit on it. Want one. :blast

Anybody want to buy an 1150? :augie

Are you seriously telling us that Ducati have finally managed to get a rear brake that works ??

Wonders never cease

To be honest I've not ridden a Ducati since my first bike 25 years ago -750SS so can't comment - however compared to what I normally ride the rear works great for me

Finally picked up the bike last thing on Saturday and managed a couple of short ish rides over the weekend - awaiting some accessories ordered still (heated handgrips and off road pack) but LED indicators and Termignoni system did arrive - handles really well and feels more like a big super moto than a bike with a 21 inch front wheel - sounds amazing with the system on and def peppier than the standard one I rode last week - quick shifter great up a little notchy down but hope will improve with mileage - dash clear even in sunlight - need to tweak handlebar levers a tad for me - foot levers adjusted to off road position and spot on with my tech 7’s. Switchgear has a nice feel to it nothing woolly. Brakes - front and rear are spot on. Tool roll under seat is useless - they need to take a leaf out of KTM’s book! Overall I am pleased - a few things to sort but this thing rocks so far.

Thanks to P&H in Crawley, I spent an hour each on a Tenere World Raid, which was underwhelming in so many ways, and an hour on a DesertX which was awesome. Comfortable, cracking grunty engine, fun to ride, clickable, brilliant quick shifter and there’s a beauty to it’s simplicity. I think I’m spending this evening on the configurator although the next availability is late December so it will be a 2023 model. The 1250GSA may have to make way for an Italian.

Off to Ducati Worcester tomorrow to give this ‘young girl’ a try. It’s been over 15 months since I parted with my GSA. Will this be the bike that tempts me back????????

Off to Ducati Worcester tomorrow to give this ‘young girl’ a try. It’s been over 15 months since I parted with my GSA. Will this be the bike that tempts me back????????

Be interesting to hear what ya think ;)

This bike is the same price as a HD Fatboy 2012 model over here and it has a 4 year warranty, good service intervals.
It looks good on paper, so I have requested a test ride from my nearest dealer...2 hours away...The cost of it here seems very good compared to many16.5K Euro.
110bhp, 223Kg...Looks good.

I do like a nice fatboy, but this is a bit of a no brainer with the terrain around me.

This bike is the same price as a HD Fatboy 2012 model over here and it has a 4 year warranty, good service intervals.
It looks good on paper, so I have requested a test ride from my nearest dealer...2 hours away...The cost of it here seems very good compared to many16.5K Euro.
110bhp, 223Kg...Looks good.

I do like a nice fatboy, but this is a bit of a no brainer with the terrain around me.

it’s quite a tall bike though so you might find that an issue.
Lovely motor and great handling.

Tempting?

Comfy to get you there. Windy to annoy you over 60mph. Knobblies and a 21” front extremely well behaved. Huge front dive (compared to GS telelever as you’d expect but forget). Smile making peppy engine. Tall but sags with weight.

Something is missing though, and that’s the popping, snarling, growling and barking throttle close you get on the GS. For me that was the character I so enjoyed!

I could pull the trigger as it’s a great bike but would I miss opening the garage door thinking what mood is it in today?

Attachments

• A0F5803F-3970-4374-9825-F438C67B31E6.jpg
    A0F5803F-3970-4374-9825-F438C67B31E6.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 660
Tosser on a Desert X
Watch second bike - sound on

Just tried one for size - Desert X is lovely but my legs are too short. Shame. The 950S suited better height wise but I’m not sure I want to give up the occasional off road jolly

Had a few hours on one today , what a fantastic road bike it is too.
Cracking engine too on song.
Was pleasantly surprised . :aidan

Back
Top Bottom