17” Front wheel

Country boy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I change the 19” front wheel to a 17” wheel would it lower the whole bike or just the front end?

let your front tyre down to about 5psi and then sit on the bike, you will get a rough idea :D

It will slightly lower everything forward of the centre of the rear tyre contact patch and slightly raise everything aft of that.

It will also effectively change the rake of the front forks and reduce the trail of the front wheel. That will quicken the steering.

What is it that you're trying to achieve?

It would be nice if I could get my feet closer to the ground.

As M. Fermier de plomb above says, a low seat might be the way to go. What year is your bike and where do you stay?

I may have one you could try to see if it works for you.

plus I have a factory lowered bike should you want to have look at it, I am in Montrose if that is anywhere near you.

I stay down in Dumfries so a bit more than a quick nip up the road but thanks for the offer to you both.

I had hoped that the ESA would sense the front being lower and lower the back to suit. I only ride on tarmac so a smaller front wheel with more choice of tyre is what would suit me.

I stay down in Dumfries so a bit more than a quick nip up the road but thanks for the offer to you both.

Ahh a Doon Hamer. I grew up in Langholm. I must have been bad in a former life....:D

Reggie 553 of this parish has done the conversion to at least two of his bikes, if I remember correctly.

Ahh a Doon Hamer. I grew up in Langholm. I must have been bad in a former life....:D

Reggie 553 of this parish has done the conversion to at least two of his bikes, if I remember correctly.

I have done it to 2 bikes . Not sure about it lowering the front. I’m sure it must. A lower seat or low framed bike must be a cheaper option.
6d3ea20f25f34a3c36afac4e85db76ac.jpg

8d881332bf760a0a67a198557b8e5094.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to be able to put my feet down like Reggie

What you don`t realise is he is 7 feet tall.

As someone who has finally taken the plunge and moved to a 17" front I can speak with some authority.

My key reason for doing this is old age and shrinking - fed up with trying to slide a little off the seat at stops, or low seat causing discomfort to the knees.
If you reason is similar, and you have the budget, then just do it.
Other benefits include that lovely pointy front end feeling that sports bike give.

I had my bike lowered to same height as a low chassis model by having shorter springs fitted to the shocks while they were being serviced by Denzo who is on the forum. My bike is an 06 model so don’t know if he can do the same with these new complicated bikes😀. Wasn’t that expensive.

Al.

I would love to be able to put my feet down like Reggie

I have just taken a 17” RT wheel off my 1250 Rallye as it is being traded in. It’s a straight forward fit just requiring the discs swapped over. Reduces the height by 1”. It’s easy to fit spacers to reduce the height of the front mudguard to match. Spacer on the wheel nearside was the same fit. Additional benefit was the ability to fit a grippier sports tyre.

In fairness Reggie is tall! It will lower the front by 1inch so about half an inch lower at the seat in crude terms. Change the seat is a lot easier.

Barry

I bought a set of second hand set of kineo wire wheels, the front was a 17”, I had the tyre pressure monitors set up by BMW, made a big difference to getting my feet on the ground, the bike also handles a bit quicker. I bought another side stand and cut a piece out of it as the lowered bike on the side stand as with the original it sat upright too much.

It is simple geometry...A 17" wheel vs a 19" wheel will lower the front by 1" ! So I would guess your seat/pegs will be 1/2 inch lower...Maybe someone with a math degree can tell you the exact amount if you put the wheelbase and point of footpegs/seat into the formula...;)

It is simple geometry...A 17" wheel vs a 19" wheel will lower the front by 1" ! So I would guess your seat/pegs will be 1/2 inch lower...Maybe someone with a math degree can tell you the exact amount if you put the wheelbase and point of footpegs/seat into the formula...;)

Are those `mercan inches or imperial inches? :aidan

I don't know that there is a difference...1 inch / roughly 2 centimeters...

Back
Top Bottom