Can Hall effect sensors degrade?

Northern Monkey

Reaction score
Just had a fantastic week up in Scotland . But the 1150 twin spark has started to ‘chug’ and cut out at about 1500rpm.

It’s been doing it for months but now it’s at every junction and every roundabout.

When it’s going it’s going! Sweet as a nut.

However on one day it was wet and the symptoms appeared at random revs and it was farting and spluttering , when I slowed down and the weather faired up it ran perfect again. (I suspect the HES got wet)

Are the two symptoms likely to be linked?

The TB are balanced, valves done, new injectors , 2 new coil Sticks

New fuel pump and filter - new plugs

What am I missing? No codes on gs911 either.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imho , the sensors don't ...but the wiring to/from it does .

They do, but not wear as in moving or contact wear,

Magnetic fields diminish over time, wiring as mentioned degrades, resistance in the cable increases,hot and cold cycling also plays a part

this in turn leads to the ability of the them to pulse

(they are actually pulse generators, and not sensors ;) )

I would sespect the HES assemby wiring, the insulatuon breaks down ober time, gets bad when its wet, lucky yours hasnt failed completly yet

Get the bike warm
Put it on the centre stand
Let it settle down to an even idle
Spray the left side throttle body rubber inlet, nearest the fins, with a solvent like carb or brake cleaner
If the revs rise - you need a new rubber inlet, about £40-£50 from a BMW main dealer
Mostly it’s always the left side one goes over time, on 1150’s (1200’s it’s the right side) …but check the right one too
Often a cause of rough running as it’s perished and draws in excess air

Tried brake cleaner and no change in revs - so that looks all good.

I did however stumble across a thread about the o2 sensor cable being too close to the lower right HT causing RF interference

I’ve separated the two and the symptoms did not appear today….. I’ll keep you posted if it’s sorted or not

Have you chexked the condtionnof the wireing, age related corrosion andbthe hot and wet brraks it down.
Manybthreads and esxperiences of this.

Tried brake cleaner and no change in revs - so that looks all good.

I did however stumble across a thread about the o2 sensor cable being too close to the lower right HT causing RF interference

I’ve separated the two and the symptoms did not appear today….. I’ll keep you posted if it’s sorted or not

Good one, useful tip about the o2 sensor cable

Back
Top Bottom