1050/1090 Adventure

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bored with my immaculate fully farkled f800gsa and have a bit of a hankering for a 1050/1090 Adventure (not the R model), what are they like to live with as an on road only bike especially with regards to reliability,servicing costs and real life mpg figures and tyre wear.

To be honest I am erring towards a 1050 with lower miles but please enlighten me

Seems odd how 1190's prices are similar to the lower capacity models

Very good bikes - I have owned a 1090 / 1190 / 1290.

The 1050 was restricted to 94BHP, the 1090 is the same engine but uncorked at 125BHP so a much better buy IMHO, as it pulls hard to the redline instead of running out of puff before 7,000rpm.

Most the cycle parts are the same as the more premium 1190 so pretty good quality, the exception is the paintwork which is not up to 1190 (and 1290) standards (the 1190 / 1290 have really nice paint with thick lacquer, the 1090 paint is OK rather than poor) but apart from that they are great bikes, if anything I reckon the 1090 was the sweetest handling of my 1x90's - felt really confidence inspiring and chuckable, although maybe partly due to much less power to unsettle things?

Despite only 100cc between the 1090 and 1190 the 1090 was way down on mid-range and top-end, but very similar really low down, but does have a small flat-spot @5k. I can really recommend a 1090 - but if you can find the extra then get an 1190 - a truly stunning machine, never before (or since) has an engine put such a smile on my face.

Servicing is the same across the lot - 9k / 1 year with tappets at 18k (Budget £450+ for main dealer)

As for reliability I put 22k on my 1190 / 10k on our 1090 (Commuter for me and touring bike for Mrs) and the 1290 now on a COVID inflicted 9k, all 3 bikes did Eurpoean tours and saw 35c+ on some days and never had any issues with any of them (other than random fault code on 1090 once, but that cleared after turning off / on a couple of times) a mate has a 2013 plated 1190 with 55k on it and that has only needed a fuel guage sender - common(ish) issue and cheap to replace.

1190's had better airbox and uprated starter motor from 2015, so worth going for a 16/17 model if you want one of those- the 1090s are pretty much allright from day 1 as launched after all the minor issues with 1190 solved.

Tyres - well, a ham fisted 1190 rider won't get many miles from a rear as it is chucking out 1050 power by about 6k - but a 1050 will do much better due to way less power, mix of use on my bikes would see 4-6k out of good sport-touring tyres, you could easily get a lot more or a lot less depending on how you ride.

MPG is pretty good, they will all easily top 50mpg at UK motorway speeds (well, legal ones) and high 40's to low 50's are typical for us on tours, maybe a smidgle less if hooning on Alpine passes, but considering performance very good. On steady commutes to work (and trying very hard) I could get the 1090 to over 60mpg - but it took all the fun out of the journey so only did it to see what could be achieved.

Don’t buy the 1050….. hated mine… at 7k the power disappeared…. Left me in a few dangerous situations on overtakes etc….

Get the 1090/1190…..

Thanks for the info I reckon the 1090 will be the one I go for.

I've looked at a couple of bikes to replace the f800gsa which is a lovely bike and i always wanted one since they came out but I am not using it as it is or should I say was too close to my r1200gsa lc ( which I have just part exed for a soon to be delivered triple black gsa)

I looked at a really nice 24,000 mile r1150gs ( loved the one I had for nearly ten years but now they look dare I say old and boring especially in semi matt grey ) and also a couple of 990 smt's (but did not like the riding position) .

I will keep looking over the winter and see what comes up

Plenty out there ;-)

I just cannot get across how much I loved the 1190, and THAT engine!

My perfect 1x90 would be the 1190 Engine with the 1090 front end, despite my 1290 having more power across the range (and a big advantage sub 4k) it does not make me grin as much as the 1190 did, teh 1290 has less vibes, pulls harder from lower down - but just does not give me the same grin, admittedly it is 9/10 on the grin factor, but the 1190 was full marks for how an internal combustion engine should feel!

I had a 1190Adv for 18 months and put 25k onto the existing 7k mikles, and it never had a single issue in all that time, despite several European trips in high temps and winter riding in the UK and some deep water when out in a storm once....

Fantastic engine was the standout feature. I was going to buy a Triple Black but took a 1190 demo bike out and knew within 200yds that the BMW was a no hoper. Verysmooth for a 1200cc v twin, right to the redline. Really had a kick from about 6500rpm and a definite step in the power band. Not scary, just very addictive. Electronic suspension was very good especially when taking pillions. 50mpg, long service intervals and got 6500 miles out of a rear Conti Trail Attack which were excellent tyres. Only 3500 from an Avon Trailrider, so Contis are the ones to go for. It's the only bike in the last 15 years that I've regretted selling. Comfortable (with power parts seat), reliable, fast, smooth and an absolute hoot to ride. And you'll still have your friends

Put the f800gsa in part ex against an 18 plate 1090 today , will get the ktm in 2 weeks time ,happy days

"This amazing adventure bike has its two keys and all of its books"

Should have 3 keys, including the orange reprogramming key. Be sure to get them all.

It has and a huge file of bills and documentation including an official dealer service manual

First time in almost 20 years that the garage has been a BMW free zone

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_122037.jpg
    IMG_20210929_122037.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 308
@Neil W.....when I got my 1290 a few years ago, one functional upgrade I made was to buy a Cyclops LED headlight kit (plug & play).

The OE headlight is pants (unless your new one has been upgraded to LED already), and the Cyclops LED headlight kit is beyond superb.

I’d agree. I’ve already decided to keep mine for another couple of year then look elsewhere. I’d love a 1090, took one for a test ride a couple of years ago and loved it. Kicked myself for not picking up one of the last ones that were going for £8.5K new. Well done Neil.

Well I collected it today in p*ssing down conditions and once home spent a few hours fitting the bash plate, seats ,carrier and sat nav mount ready to have a play if the weather is fine tomorrow, will say that BMW need to have their development chaps have a word with KTM about how to make heated grips that work.

I've had two 990's. The first one took me, completely trouble free and two up, 56,000 miles from the bottom of South America to the Northern tip of Alaska then over to New York and home.

Didn't do too many miles on the second one because the cunning dealer gave me a 1190 R while it was being serviced. :D

The second 1190 R did a lot of miles in Europe and New Zealand; completely trouble free.

Traded this in for an Africa Twin DCT Adventure Sports - big mistake.

This went in against a 790 Adventure and now an 890 Adventure.

I'm getting older and acknowledge this, so went for less weight.

So that's my history with KTM - faultless with great performance and comfort.

You will love your new bike and have a great time on it. :thumb2

Happy days. :beerjug:

Well did 140 miles today, the handling is excellent, seat is superb and heated grips toasty (note to BMW regarding those two) and it was averaging 54 mpg.
Tried sport mode and it gives you a proper kick up the backside so went back to road mode
Having ridden the 1190 and 1290 in the past I reckon for roads around here the 1090 is a nice size wth more than enough power , found the 1290 was just too much

Back
Top Bottom