E10 / E5 Fuel: Real World Comparison / Analysis

Eng

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I hope this may help some of you. Before I start I'll tell you a little about my bike as it is in a specific state of tune that will be sensitive to fuel quality. It's a 1976 R90/6 that's gas flowed for fast road use and twin plugged as well as running electronic ignition with retarded timing. The carbs are standard 32 Bings with a lean mixture set-up that's just the optimum side of too lean; it gives high mpg's and is a quick bike by any standards. It also has a deep oil sump for a little extra oil quantity (not worth it as the engine breaths oil down to the level it wants anyway) and I run an oil temp dipstick to monitor oil temp.

As I'm long retired I ride this bike a lot around fast A and B roads that we are fortunate to have in Lincolnshire; I usually do about 100 miles and maintain a good pace and as a result I am in tune with the bikes performance.

I tested with a FULL tank of Shell V-Power, followed by a tank of Shell E10 standard unleaded and then another full tank of Gulf E5 Endurance super unleaded.
Previously and prior to the new E10 I normally used the cheapest supermarket fuel and put 1/4 bottle of Redex in a full tank and the bike ran perfectly. I also have the cleanest carbs and fuel system you've seen, look like they have just dropped out the ultrasonic cleaner.

I first put in the Shell and ran the tank down over the usual fast roads over two days, noting the performance, mpg and temperature that the bike ran at ( Also have a digital temp measure for immediate direct comparisons). The bike flew and pulled hard from idle to redline with no other issues noted other than a particular smoothness that I hadn't achieved with the supermarket fuels. All good.

I then put in standard E10 unleaded without Redex and repeated the same rides. I did notice some differences which I'll discuss at the end. For comparison I then repeated the whole process again with E5 Super unleaded just to see if the differences were real or imagined.

Here's what I noticed: On E5 Super unleaded bike was perfect and smooth giving good mpg and ran at a constant temperature with no issues (as you'd expect). On the E10 fuel the bike was noticeably not quite as smooth and pulled better from 3500 rpm with wider throttle. I couldn't differentiate a change in mpg and although I thought the bike ran slightly hotter I think with hindsight it was the ambient air temperature that had the biggest affect of about 20 degrees F, not the fuel. One big difference that I noticed and had to check frequently was the performance on closing the throttle: as we all know shutting the throttle on a boxer is like a third brake and something that you get used to. On the E10 fuel I found that shutting the throttle had a quite severe reaction and an increased braking action on the bike, whereas with the Super unleaded on shutting the throttle it's a much less pronounced reaction and less braking affect. I primarily ran the test again to check this reaction and it is definitely there with E10 fuel. I checked the fuel float levels with both fuels and there was no difference as you'd expect, but I didn't weigh the floats as they had not sat in the E10 long enough.

So, in summary, what do I surmise: I would happily use E10 if that was all that there was available but in future I will strive to find Super unleaded. The performance differences were there but you need to be looking for them and for touring / long distance blasts you probably wouldn't notice the difference or would adapt to them. BMW say that the o=rings, floats and rubbers in the carbs will not be affected by E10 but only time will tell on that one.

I hope this is of some use if you're thinking about it.
:thumby:
PS: The 90/6 is a nicer ride than the S

Attachments

• R90 1 - 1.jpg
    R90 1 - 1.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 558
Great article!

I've been running E10 in my '77 R100RS (with same mods as your R90/6 but with 40mm Dellortos) and had no issues so far; not scientific but I haven't noticed any difference between E5 and E10. I'm conscious to keep the tank flowing (not let an E10 tank stand for months). I'd also ran my R90/6 (standard, but now sold) on E10 and it seemed happy enough. On both bikes I had no 'rubber' issues. My R100GS seems to be happy with E10.

An interesting comment about engine braking.

Not paying attention I filled my Guzzi T3 with E10, if it’s not going to get used I’ll siphon it out for use in the lawn mower and scooter but it is being used and it seems to be running rather well on it particularly at higher revs - It was wizzing along very nicely yesterday.

During last months jaunt to Le France I noticed my Africa Twin (latest 1100 model) on E10 was pretty harsh on small throttle openings. It runs lean by design anyway and keeping things steady through town has always been a challenge but more so in high ambient temps on E10 fuel.

The V POWER from my local station is station is almost clear, but when I had to top up on a interstate run the V power was as yellow as weak piss.
On the first tankful i went 20 km/l cruising at 110 km/hr, on the second 18 km/l.
So, in Oz at least, we are in the hands of the station owner/ operator of the servo.
If he depends on local repeat business you get the good stuff, if 95% of his sales are to interstate traffic he is unlikely to see again then you get something else!.

Great article!

I've been running E10 in my '77 R100RS (with same mods as your R90/6 but with 40mm Dellortos) and had no issues so far; not scientific but I haven't noticed any difference between E5 and E10. I'm conscious to keep the tank flowing (not let an E10 tank stand for months). I'd also ran my R90/6 (standard, but now sold) on E10 and it seemed happy enough. On both bikes I had no 'rubber' issues. My R100GS seems to be happy with E10.

Think the "rubber issues" will take time to materialise , as the ethanol eats the rubber over a period of time.

Great article!

I was reading that ethanol contains about 30% less energy then petrol , so i suppose this becomes more evident at low throttle settings.

Lovely looking bikes. Sounds like they are perfectly sorted and in good hands. Who did the head work please?

Back
Top Bottom