Steering lock locked in position

ajcarr44@aol.co.uk

Reaction score
Hello, after riding 800 miles to Portugal I decided to put my old 1150gsa into steering lock last night and found it completely stuck! No matter how much jiggling of the key it would not move either way, inserting oil into the keyhole etc. Eventually with alot of fiddling I managed to get it onto parking light, then unlocked and back to normal thank god. It's always been slightly iffy when turning the ignition on, is it most likely my key worn? Or needing an entirely new ignition system? Many thanks, Ashley

Could be more the key than the ignition Barrell. How old is the key ?
Glad you got sorted anyway

Pop out the ignition barrel and give it a clean. You only need a small pick or a toothpick will do. Put key in ignition and turn it on, insert pick into small hole opening in the front of the ignition housing next to the rib that runs down the front, press in and pull the key and ignition barrel out. Clean and lube it, also clean out the ignition housing, re-insert and away you go ..

Pop out the ignition barrel and give it a clean. You only need a small pick or a toothpick will do. Put key in ignition and turn it on, insert pick into small hole opening in the front of the ignition housing next to the rib that runs down the front, press in and pull the key and ignition barrel out. Clean and lube it, also clean out the ignition housing, re-insert and away you go ..

Only just got round to removing the barrel! Half the pins wouldn't retract completely and the whole thing was full of grit, so purchased a new barrel with noggins and springs and reset it to my key, works wonders! Thanks for the tip steptoe.

Back
Top Bottom