WANTED - Interesting Campsites in Eastern Europe

QuietYorkshire

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm going to do a two week trip around Eastern Europe in late April early May next year.

Has anyone got any interesting campsite or local places to stay that they can recommend in any of the following areas:

The High Tatras in Slovakia
Lviv and surrounding areas in Ukraine,
Moldova,
and finally Transylvania in Romania…

I want to try and have a mix accommodation but also want to camp, so any areas you've been or can recommend that blew you away I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

CB

I’ll do the obligatory recommend where you’ve been bit and say that if you’re going to visit Transylvania then Brasov makes a very good base for a couple of days.

Hotels are cheap enough to go for a good one and eating out in the city centre is a pleasure with plenty of open air restaurants to choose from so you can watch the women strolling past.

Casting my mind back a number of years I stopped in Teplicka (Slovakia) and decided I liked it enough to spend 2 nights there. Strangely enough my decision was heavily influenced by cheap but very good fillet steak and cheap beer the night I arrived and that was enough to spend the next day exploring even more bars 🍺

I left from Harwich, spent a night about 20 miles into Poland then rode straight through to Teplicka the next day. From there it’s an easy day avoiding motorways and you’re into Romania.

I took a tent but really shouldn’t have done because all my camping gear filled a 60l roll top bag and I used it for one night just because I had it with me. I wouldn’t bother again.

Perhaps you’re like us and like camping on campsites.

20 years ago campsites we’re few and far between - we found none in the high Tatras in Slovakia. The few, were divided into the Dutch owned campsites, which were as good and expensive as West European sites and the local ones which were perfectly fine if a little quirky and very cheap - I mean 70p a night cheap :eek:

We went back in 2016 and came across a few more, the Dutch ones were still nice (and expensive) but, alas, the local ones had cottoned on, upped their game and no longer 50p :)

Please bear in mind that we don’t route plan so do no prior research, just try and find ones along the way.
As for recommendations……….well hopeless really as I can’t possibly remember where they were or what they where called :blast sorry. Looks to be plenty nowadays on Google maps and trip advisor.

However, one that is worth a detour is Motocamp Bulgaria - even a 2 day detour, in fact I wouldn’t go to the Balkans without visiting it. Hopefully next year.
:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom