Northern Lights Norway September 2021

Dejavu moment... we also stayed at the Ballengen campsite and watched the aurora on our way back from the Kap...you got much better photos than we did. Great report with some stunning photos - thank you for sharing. :thumb

The Aurora on the Friday night at Ballengen was one of the best they have seen for a while according to locals. It was even reported on in the local newspapers and media.

We got very lucky. :)

Looks fabulous, Trickster !!

Need to go on two wheels. (Me ! I know you already have !! )

You won’t regret it Martin that’s for sure particularly if you go in September.

It will be a bit colder and you won’t get the continuous daylight you get June to August but generally the weather is more settled plus autumn colours come early that far north and even pre Covid most of the tourists have gone home. :thumb2

You won’t regret it Martin that’s for sure particularly if you go in September.

It will be a bit colder and you won’t get the continuous daylight you get June to August but generally the weather is more settled plus autumn colours come early that far north and even pre Covid most of the tourists have gone home. :thumb2

Looks fantastic and nice to know you’re now the same age as me! :D

Back on the mainland at Narvik scene of a major sea and land battle in 1940.

A few years ago I went up there and dived on some of the ship wrecks from the battle. Everything was really well preserved in the very cold, clear, clean water including uniforms and even bits of paper which you could still read the German writing on.

An incredible experience to see all that history on the sea bed!

I have been lucky to go to Iceland twice on a bike and been told Norway is as good.
Covid put payed to my bike delivery trip there.
Lucks as though you had a great trip.

I have a couple of friends who live out that way,

One has a a collection of large lodges next to a lake,

He said they sit out on the lake in winter, and eat there supper while watching the Aurora

He used to He used to travel from the UK on a Friday afternoon to get there for about 11pm Friday evening,

And then set off Sunday evening for a Repeat and back into work Monday.

He used to park his 4x4 at the Airport that side for the drive home - he said great in summer, and an experiance in the winter lol

he eventually go a better job working for Porsche, and moved out there full time

Property prices were very low when he bought his place lol

What an incredible looking trip that is. It sounds like you had a fabulous time and were blessed with the weather and seeing the Aurora too. I would love to do that trip on my bike or as you have, in the camper.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Inspiring me to get something organised.

Morning [mention]Tricky [/mention]

Great looking trip, thank you for sharing it with us.

I always wanted to go to Norway on the bike, but distance and a very high chance of wet weather, had been putting me off. Looking at those photos, it changed my perceptions a bit and it might have to happen at some point.

Speaking of photos, those do look incredible. I will take a guess that these have been taken using a proper camera rather than smartphone. I love the black border around the edges, does help with drawing you in to the scene.
What software did you use to achieve this?

TA

I have a FujiFilm X100F Ev but nearly all the photos were taken on my iPhone 8 and then slightly tweaked via Snapseed (including the border).

I always take the FujiFilm with me but the phone camera is just so convenient and quick when you spot a good photo opportunity. :thumb2

At the end of the day it’s the subject matter and getting the light right that makes the photo rather than the equipment you use or so I’m told by folks who know much more about photography than me. :D

I have a FujiFilm X100F Ev but nearly all the photos were taken on my iPhone 8 and then slightly tweaked via Snapseed (including the border).

I always take the FujiFilm with me but the phone camera is just so convenient and quick when you spot a good photo opportunity. :thumb2

At the end of the day it’s the subject matter and getting the light right that makes the photo rather than the equipment you use or so I’m told by folks who know much more about photography than me. :D

Thanks for the reply Tricky.

The pics look excellent for an iPhone 8. Top marks for that achievement.

I have now downloaded the Snapseed to play around with.

EV

Firstly I’ll wish you a belated happy birthday then say it looks as if you had a fantastic trip.

We went to Tromso in late January in the hope of seeing the northern lights and struck lucky but I’d still go again like a shot. We’ve done the Arctic Circle bit on the bikes and it’s a bit dull in places but it’s on the list for a motorhome trip either spring or early autumn with spring being my favourite when the mountains will have more snow on them and the summer roadworks winter have started.

Beautiful scenery captured by some decent photography ... lovely stuff. I just find my I phone 10, which is now over 2 years old takes great pics.. as you say it's all about what your'e taking and getting the light right :thumb2

Good thread, great pictures and happy memories for you, thanks for posting

Back
Top Bottom