Gear Assist Pro

Hi chaps,

After much research I have identified that it is possible to trigger the reset of the gear assist pro using a gs-911.

The video below explains the process for the bmw rr, but I checked with the manufacturer and it’s the same process for the gs1200

https://youtu.be/uZ1BPzfW_aQ

I don’t have a gs-911 so I was wondering if the community can help me check two things:

1. If you have the more expensive red Gs-911 can you check the video link and confirm if the functionality exist on the device,

2. If you have one of the cheaper yellow eBay gs911 devices can you also check if it’s possible, note the software that comes with the cheap gs911 may not have the functionality but you can download the better software here : https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/downloads

*I have not ran the software utility above so unclear if a licence is required for the software.

Thanks for any help you can provide, obviously I would prefer to purchase the cheaper gs911 off eBay….

Thanks Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The GS 911 is a good investment if you do your own servicing etc. Buy one and you'll get a good chunk of it back if you sell it later.

Anyone with a gs911 help me out and check the software?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I read somewhere that if you do the gsap reset on the stand it may trigger a fault as the bike knows the front wheel isn't moving

Mine was clunky and hit and miss

just had it looked at, supposedly all ok following the lastest software update ....

Now better at higher gears but lower gears, forget it, it's going to clunk lol

Mine was clunky and hit and miss

just had it looked at, supposedly all ok following the lastest software update ....

Now better at higher gears but lower gears, forget it, it's going to clunk lol

What did it cost to get it looked at? My local bmw seems to want to charge for just browsing the showroom sometimes…

It's not great on the GS, hard acceleration up changes are OK, but most of don't need a quick shifter to do clutch-less up changes anyway - down changes are rough to be honest - apart from the occasional up change I mostly don't use it.

Apart from pulling off and stopping, I use mine all the time. Not as slick as the S1000XR loan bike I had for sure, but works well enough for my needs.

i believe gearbox from 2017 onwards bikes was improved

My bike is a late 2016 with the black engine, this is actually a 2017 spec engine as they updated the engines late 2016. I use my gear assist pro all the time going both up and down the box in every gear and as long as you are accelerating when going up and decelerating going down it works pretty smoothly. My understanding is as Pablo has said the earlier bikes gearboxes were not as good with regards GAP.

The S1000XR GAP is in a different league to the GS, flawlessly smooth. My previous GS never got anywhere near it for smoothness. As malcopolo says 2nd onwards and above 5000rpm but it's still only a marginal improvement.

Plus 1..............XR silky smooth, GS agricultural. As mentioned use above 2nd going up with increasing throttle

Agree, XR was fantastic, so much better than on the GS I had

My bike is a late 2016 with the black engine, this is actually a 2017 spec engine as they updated the engines late 2016. I use my gear assist pro all the time going both up and down the box in every gear and as long as you are accelerating when going up and decelerating going down it works pretty smoothly. My understanding is as Pablo has said the earlier bikes gearboxes were not as good with regards GAP.

I had the same (2017) model GS, with the better gearbox. I still felt happier changing gear normally, although as mentioned in a previous post, the blipped down change was acceptable. My KTM 1290 Adventure had a much nicer change in quick shift mode, which I used up and down the box all the time :thumb

got my new 1250gs yesterday and the gsap works really well. Dont know what's changed but something has. My previous bike was a 2018 1250gs and gsap was OK . New one you can go up and down box without clutch easier even 1st to 2nd. All round smoother on gearbox. May be mechanical improvements, or software, or combination of the two. Certainly better.

i believe gearbox from 2017 onwards bikes was improved

Agreed . My 2017 GSA 1200 was mint and My 1250 absolutely mint as regards gear shift pro . The earlier ones were not great /grauchy . ove my 1250 for this feature though do not use it to change down . It just seems wrong going down the box without the clutch

I’m looking forward to getting my new 1250.

I wasn’t particularly impressed with the gear shift pro or the hill start on the 1200 so hopefully I’ll see the improvement.

Agreed . My 2017 GSA 1200 was mint and My 1250 absolutely mint as regards gear shift pro . The earlier ones were not great /grauchy . ove my 1250 for this feature though do not use it to change down . It just seems wrong going down the box without the clutch

I think you should give it another go at it.
It seems like the down shift works smoother than the upshifts. And when thinking about it, it makes sense.

Upshifts rely on the engine drops it's rpm by cutting ignition for a brief moment. But the flywheel keeps the rpm from dropping fast enough.

Downshift on the other hand rely on a short rise in rpm by allowing the electronics to add a short burst of power, and this easy overcomes the hesitation caused by the flywheel.

I’ve just got a 2015 gsa and was looking into getting a qspa
I thought all lc came with it unfortunately I found out they don’t 🤬
It’s not a cheap upgrade
But really did want it
Is it worth buying

I’ve just got a 2015 gsa and was looking into getting a qspa
I thought all lc came with it unfortunately I found out they don’t ��
It’s not a cheap upgrade
But really did want it
Is it worth buying

Personally, I wouldn't bother. My 2016 and 2018 1200s were really clunky and my 2021 1250 is only marginally better. 99% of the time, I just use normal clutch changes

Back
Top Bottom