Gear Assist Pro

Gs1200robc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2016 GS1200 with gear assist pro. The shifting appears to be a bit jerky and not as smooth as i have ridden before ( this was on a S1000XR ), is this normal behaviour on the GS?

I am aware of the training procedure in the manual, however i cant see if you need to but the bike into any form of reset mode before re-training or if it will just do it automatically when you start. I dont have a gs911, however i have seen through screenshots when Googling there is a facility to reset the gear assit pro, therefore is this a main dealer only type thing?

is there another way i can do this without having to go to the main dealer or buying a very expensive gs911?

Thanks all

It is more jerky than a s1000xr.
Cannot answer reset.
I only use it above 5krevs and from 2nd onwards.
Since having the fuelling sorted I would say it is marginally better.
Using a clutch is so much smoother

My 2014 model had two or maybe it was eventually three gsap units fitted (it had so much warranty work in 3 years that I forget) and at least twice as many ecu updates and it was still horrendous, if I had kept the bike it was getting removed . The replacement bike in 2018 did not have gsap a fitted

The S1000XR GAP is in a different league to the GS, flawlessly smooth. My previous GS never got anywhere near it for smoothness. As malcopolo says 2nd onwards and above 5000rpm but it's still only a marginal improvement.

The S1000XR GAP is in a different league to the GS, flawlessly smooth. My previous GS never got anywhere near it for smoothness. As malcopolo says 2nd onwards and above 5000rpm but it's still only a marginal improvement.

I can only agree with this

If you are used to the almost microswitch change on the XR the GSAP on the GS is decidedly agricultural

Shift pro is superb on the 4 cylinder engines due to the far higher piston revolutions where as the twins don't work together as well. I only use mine over 5k revs and second on as someone else has quoted too.

If you put gsap on a decent slick gearbox it works and is a worthwhile addition, gsap on a crap clunky gearbox will not improve the quality of the gearchange

Always remember to lubricate the felt pads on the ball joints as these do dry out / get dirty which can make the action stiff.

If properly adjusted, it works well enough to be a benefit, albeit not as good as on the XR/RR engines. Personally I use it a lot (2nd upwards), and the downshift seems to work well when you're properly tackling a twisty road and for example need to grab a lower gear before the next bend.

You can do a reset, worth trying.

I find if its clunky, you are not pinning it enough.

The GS gearbox is terrible compared to the tuned sports engine/gearbox of the s1000xr.

My 16 plate lc is at the dealers today, Quickshift amongst other things are being looked at ..

50/50 is the opinion i use for it

Lets see what they say ;)

The design of the LC engine makes it less than perfect for using a QuickShifter. (QS)

QS is based on cutting ignition for upshift, allowing the engine RPM to drop sufficient to match the lower RPM required for the next gear for the current speed. The shift action takes a given time regardless of the type of engine.

The LC engine has a flywheel that improves low rpm performance and allows the engine to run smoother. But the same flywheel will also try to resist RPM change, even when the ignition is cut during QS action, making it harder for the engine to drop the required number of revolutions of the crank in order to match the next gear. Hence the some times jerky operation. It's pure physics, and as much as the manufacturer puts of efforts into making a smooth shift, there is only so much that can be done. A smaller flywheel, or omitting it all together would vastly improve the QS action, but then the GS would not be the bike we appreciate so much.

This also means that the downshift with auto-blip works much smoother, as the downshift makes the engine ads a bit of RPM to match the next gear. And the extra small burst of power is much easier to control than the inertia of the flywheel.

To sum it up:

The LC QS is jerky compared to BMWs with non-LC engines, as well as compared to quite a few bikes from competitive brands.

Centre Stand

Turn on and Start the bike in 1st gear.
Accelerate in 1st gear 10 seconds, clutch in
2nd gear 10 seconds, clutch in
3rd gear etc until in 6th
Then clutch in, and knock it all the way back down the box to 1st without stopping.
when in first turn the bike off.
Wait 2 mins.
Then use as normal.

That is what I have read on the internet, I am no expert or even slightly knowledgeable about the workings.

will it just work from the off? are you required to put it into reset mode or anything like that?

It ain't perfect, but my late r1200R isn't at all bad at the GSAP bit. 2nd upwards generally as 1 to 2 is a bit jerky. I'll use it from 3k (a guess) upwards, not just when getting a wiggle on.

Back
Top Bottom