removal of pinlock sticky stuff from bike visor

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought a new pinlock insert, removed the old one.

But, it's left behind the adhesive on the bike visor, scraped some off with fingernail.

Any suggestions for removing what's left?

Sticky label remover from stationary shop.

Could try undiluted washing up liquid and let it soak. Maybe a sheet of kitchen roll soaked with washing up liquid and leave it on for a bit.

Shouldn’t be any glue on a pinlock as far as I know :nenau

Anyway, best thing for removing glue residue is nail varnish remover, it’s a mild solvent so test it first on a bit by the hinge that doesn’t matter if it dulls the plastic

Don't use nail varnish remove, acetone is a strong solvent and quite likely to cause damage on your plastic.

Solvents and plastic never mix well, if this weren't a visor you could get away with more options.

Possible IPA - Iso Propyl Alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, perhaps a bit of lighter fluid or wd40 with a finger nail / soft cloth. You don't want to add scratches. Followed by soapy water,

The advise to try water first is a good one, if it is water soluble it will sort it before the need to escalate.

The washing after most of these is because some are oils, or you may have a residue left. But as said try somewhere where it wont be noticed.

** correction.

I've just tried Acetone on an old Shoei Pinlock, and that was safe on that, not causing any damage, so +1 for leadfarmer in Round 1. :blast

Do you mean the silicone like bead that sits around the pinlock insert as, as said above, there is no adhesive on a pinlock unless you forgot to take the protective film off when it was installed ?

Yes silicone, but with age it has become like adhesive.

White spirit did the job, well, got the majority of it off. Seemed to soften it so that thumbnail would scrape it off.

Washed visor off in copious amounts of soapy water after. I bought the 120 pinlock, meant to be better than the 70.

Pinlock now fitted and tested.

See if the visor is still clear in the morning;)

Back
Top Bottom