I'm much happier now...

Edmund Kean

Reaction score
I've got rid of the all auto cancelling indicator functions on my 2021 GSA. No charge by the dealer and very easy to do apparently.

Why not get the quick shifter, cruise control and ABS removed too. Why bother with anything new?
I love my self cancelling indicators and all the other toys too.

I find the 2021 self cancelling indicators a bit weird, they seem to cut out a bit too quickly in all circumstances, at high speed I'd really like 10 flash instead of 5 and 100 metres at very low speed. Not sure what the algorithm is n between speeds is, can't quite work it out.

Why the sardonic post? It’s the indicators that’s all. It was my thought there would be other owners who would like more control over the indicators.

Is not the ABS switchable?
Is not activating the cruise control optional?
And there’s still a clutch lever so the quickshifter is optional to use, isn’t it?

Just like all the other things that are optional to have turned on or off can you not just choose to cancel the indicators rather than rely upon the self cancel facility ???

Bloody stupid thing to do if you ask me but then we are all different i suppose

Are they able to remove the Hayes brakes (and leave me with some brembos)?

Just like all the other things that are optional to have turned on or off can you not just choose to cancel the indicators rather than rely upon the self cancel facility ???

Bloody stupid thing to do if you ask me but then we are all different i suppose

But you haven’t grasped things here. Of course it’s obvious and right to cancel an indicator at the appropriate moment rather than letting it flash away pointlessly and in doing so possibly giving incorrect information to all road users. No, it’s the manner in which it self cancels before time. Giving you the benefit of doubt, I’m sure you could imagine circumstances where this could be undesirable.

Anyone on here could say it’s user error and indeed that’s possible. But interestingly the dealer did mention they had to recalibrate a 2021 GS’s indicators as they weren’t operating as per the manual. It seemed bizarre to me to have to think about actuating the indicator in a prolonged fashion when travelling at a certain speed to get it to flash longer… and all the rest of it. Totally nuts. Having control is so much better.

I could not get used to the parameters with which the cancelling occurred. Not sure what MY yours is but the 2021 has more than one cancelling parameter which, in my view is unnecessarily complicating a simple function.

Precisely, the parameters are rather odd.

Cancel them. My function removed at first service.
They always used stop when most needed
Going around large rdbts for instance.
They Appear to be an answer to a question no one ever asked

My 21 GSA indicators drive me mad. I approach a roundabout and indicate, say right. Just as I hit the roundabout they self cancel. So now I am negotiating the roundabout, changing gear and trying to re initiate the turn signal.
So by default i now always initiate turn signals twice. If I was to get the dealer to remove auto cancel I then have the issue of forgetting to cancel them which can be as bad as having them cancel too early

My 21 GSA indicators drive me mad. I approach a roundabout and indicate, say right. Just as I hit the roundabout they self cancel. So now I am negotiating the roundabout, changing gear and trying to re initiate the turn signal.

ride faster

Cancel them. My function removed at first service.
They always used stop when most needed
Going around large rdbts for instance.
They Appear to be an answer to a question no one ever asked

Indeed and it's that early cancellation that is potentially dangerous - some at BMW thought they'd be clever, but they got it wrong. My 2018 rallye was fine, the indicators self cancelled in a sensible manner.

But you haven’t grasped things here. Of course it’s obvious and right to cancel an indicator at the appropriate moment rather than letting it flash away pointlessly and in doing so possibly giving incorrect information to all road users. No, it’s the manner in which it self cancels before time. Giving you the benefit of doubt, I’m sure you could imagine circumstances where this could be undesirable.

Anyone on here could say it’s user error and indeed that’s possible. But interestingly the dealer did mention they had to recalibrate a 2021 GS’s indicators as they weren’t operating as per the manual. It seemed bizarre to me to have to think about actuating the indicator in a prolonged fashion when travelling at a certain speed to get it to flash longer… and all the rest of it. Totally nuts. Having control is so much better.

There is no such thing as 'calibrating' the indicators, there are settings for time and distance though

Pain in the backside on my 800gsa and if they are activated on my 1250 when it arrives they will be getting deactivated at the first service

Back
Top Bottom