I'm much happier now...

There is no such thing as 'calibrating' the indicators, there are settings for time and distance though

Calibrate is not my word, it was the word used when conveyed. That said, It seems a reasonable choice of words…the implication that an adjustment can be performed; seems close to me??

Calibrate is not my word, it was the word used when conveyed. That said, It seems a reasonable choice of words…the implication that an adjustment can be performed; seems close to me??

No, calibration and changing a setting between 3 options is two very different things. Most dealers know bugger all so not surprised to hear waffle from one

I’m going to get this done. I regularly have it cancel too soon with one particularly pertinent example being every single time I turn into our road, the indicator self cancels before the turn is made and it does so in a very short space of time. I indicate, move towards the turn and it self cancels 15 ish yards before I actually make the turn. I have to re-engage the indicator and it is irritating. I’d go as far as saying it would be dangerous as we live off the A57 and the turn into our road is immediately after a blind bend for the oncoming traffic.

I am not for not against it is personal choice, but turn signals are consider safety feature, what insurance say in case of accident.

I’m going to get this done. I regularly have it cancel too soon with one particularly pertinent example being every single time I turn into our road, the indicator self cancels before the turn is made and it does so in a very short space of time. I indicate, move towards the turn and it self cancels 15 ish yards before I actually make the turn. I have to re-engage the indicator and it is irritating. I’d go as far as saying it would be dangerous as we live off the A57 and the turn into our road is immediately after a blind bend for the oncoming traffic.

The 2021 has a ludicrous cancelling set up. When I last test rode a Multistrada which I would say to being about ten years ago, I'm fairly sure there was a mechanical cancelling device somewhere close to the headstock. Not sure how reliable this turned out to be but on the face of it perhaps, a better idea than what BMW are attempting to achieve on the 2021.

Might be worth mentioning, given how much comment this thread has created, that there are TWO timings available to everyone without a dealer visit.

Short press engages the "normal" behavior, which is fine for most of us most of the time.
Long press (2 seconds) will cause "delayed" auto-cancelling (I use this all the time when leaving motorways for example).

Might be worth mentioning, given how much comment this thread has created, that there are TWO timings available to everyone without a dealer visit.

Short press engages the "normal" behavior, which is fine for most of us most of the time.
Long press (2 seconds) will cause "delayed" auto-cancelling (I use this all the time when leaving motorways for example).

For absolute clarity, this is from the 2021 manual:

TURN INDICATORS
Operating turn indicators Switching on the ignition ( 54). Press button 1 to the left to switch on the left-side turn indicators. Press button 1 to the right to switch on the right-side turn indicators. 63 Move button 1 to the center position to switch off the turn indicators. Comfort turn indicators When button 1 is pushed to the right or left, the turn indicators automatically turn off under the following conditions: Speed is under 18 mph (30 km/h): after distance of 165 ft (50 m) is covered. Speed is between 18 mph and 60 mph (30 km/h and 100 km/h): after a speed-dependent distance is covered or during acceleration. Speed is above 60 mph (100 km/h): after turn indicator flashes five times. When button 1 is pushed to the right or left and held slightly longer, the turn indicators will only turn off automatically after the speed dependent distance is covered.

Pleased its all gone away for me.

Thanks - I didn't know this. Most helpful.

Don’t even think about indicator switches on each handlebar.

It’s hardly tricky, use or don’t use the function. I wonder how some of you manage to determine how much big roll to use

I find the 2021 self cancelling indicators a bit weird, they seem to cut out a bit too quickly in all circumstances, at high speed I'd really like 10 flash instead of 5 and 100 metres at very low speed. Not sure what the algorithm is n between speeds is, can't quite work it out.

You may already be aware, but if you hold the indicator lever over an extra second it keeps them blinking for longer & I am forever doing this..

You may already be aware, but if you hold the indicator lever over an extra second it keeps them blinking for longer & I am forever doing this..

Apologies - already been mentioned above.

Ta Ta

I don't know if it's true but heard that dealer has some more options and can reprogram them for staying on longer or on high speed not to blink only 5 times.
Not sure about this, it's only what I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom