Visit to the Eagles Nest

charliemopic

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In 2019 3 of us visited South Eastern Germany specifically to visit the Kehlsteinhaus. We camped approx 15 mins away and on the day of the visit my friends Versys 650 broke down right by the roundabout by the bus station. We ended up knocking around for a day or 2 while the local garage faffed about until the lad called it quits and got a flight home. Our plan to visit the Eagles Nest ended in failure.

https://imgbb.com/

Fast forward 2 years and with restrictions finally lifting for Europe, i decided to try again. I was prepared to go solo until a friend and my brother in law asked to come along. Getting the Eurotunnel was a piece of piss, only 6 bikes on our train and straight through the gates. Day 1 was a long haul, for me, 360 miles done to find a pub and lodgings in rural France with a now almost obligatory stop at Reims-Gueux.

Day 2 and we switched to minor roads only. A ride through the Vosges region and a stop at Moussey to pay respects at the CWGC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Loyton) another at Friedrichshafen by the lake and looked for digs for the night.

Day 3 saw us ending up just short of Berchtesgarden, in a truck stop/motel. It was an odd place by a motorway, busy at the front but as quiet as the grave with a wonderful view at the rear.

Day 4 saw us finally visit The Eagles Nest and we were lucky with the weather. For those that haven't been, it's a nerve wracking bus ride up the side of the mountain until you get to the tunnel entrance. From there it's a walk down the tunnel and up in the lift to the tea house above. 1834mts above sea level.

Day 5 and it's time to head for home, in a roundabout fashion. An almost boring by comparison ride through Austria into Switzerland. Far too much industry in the parts we travelled through, although a fantastic lodgings and restaurant lay ahead.

Day 6 was a run up through Switzerland and onto the B500 in the Schwarzwald, didn't see any polizei, although it pissed down most of the time and it was a Tuesday :nenau
We ended up in a wonderful hotel in Saarbrucken with a pizza place and bar just down the road. Drank some beers and talked shit with a couple of German biker locals.

Day 7 included a stop at Bastogne, the foxholes at Bois Jaques, Dinant and a cabin in the woods nr Maubeuge.

Day 8 and home at last. The tunnel again was a breeze after filling in the forms on Eurotunnels website once the covid tests were done. Ohh, and we now get a stamp in the passport from French customs. Met a lovely bloke called Ben on the way back, 78 years old from the Isle of Wight. He'd not had his rallye long but had been out visiting his mate in the south of France.

All in all it was 8 countries in 8 days and just over 2000 miles, it's my 3rd tour down that way and i reckon in June i'm going to try the Harwich to Holland ferry then Arnhem, Mohne dam, Berlin, Auschwitz, Stalag Luft 3, Colditz castle and home.

Nice report, thanks.

Second time lucky for you! I also tried to get up to the Kelsteinhaus in 2019 but was there early in the season (end of May) and the bus wasn't running because of 3 feet of snow on the road up to the summit.

Hope to try again next year

Nice report and some good pics. We’ve been on similar routes and seen some of those same places these last few years. I would say if you skipped west through Austria to Switzerland and it was boring, you chose the wrong roads. There are some fantastic routes and passes around there.

What a great trip. :thumb2

When I went to the Eagle's Nest I was lucky enough to have a look around the machine room that houses the submarine engine that powered the place.

You can stay in Colditz Castle - it's a Youth Hostel and well worth a visit.

Do a Segway tour of Berlin too.

Been three times to see it, over the last 25 years

Fantastic place to visit at least once

In 2019 3 of us visited South Eastern Germany specifically to visit the Kehlsteinhaus. We camped approx 15 mins away and on the day of the visit my friends Versys 650 broke down right by the roundabout by the bus station. We ended up knocking around for a day or 2 while the local garage faffed about until the lad called it quits and got a flight home. Our plan to visit the Eagles Nest ended in failure.

Fast forward 2 years and with restrictions finally lifting for Europe, i decided to try again. I was prepared to go solo until a friend and my brother in law asked to come along. Getting the Eurotunnel was a piece of piss, only 6 bikes on our train and straight through the gates. Day 1 was a long haul, for me, 360 miles done to find a pub and lodgings in rural France with a now almost obligatory stop at Reims-Gueux.

Day 2 and we switched to minor roads only. A ride through the Vosges region and a stop at Moussey to pay respects at the CWGC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Loyton) another at Friedrichshafen by the lake and looked for digs for the night.

Day 3 saw us ending up just short of Berchtesgarden, in a truck stop/motel. It was an odd place by a motorway, busy at the front but as quiet as the grave with a wonderful view at the rear.

Day 4 saw us finally visit The Eagles Nest and we were lucky with the weather. For those that haven't been, it's a nerve wracking bus ride up the side of the mountain until you get to the tunnel entrance. From there it's a walk down the tunnel and up in the lift to the tea house above. 1834mts above sea level.

Day 5 and it's time to head for home, in a roundabout fashion. An almost boring by comparison ride through Austria into Switzerland. Far too much industry in the parts we travelled through, although a fantastic lodgings and restaurant lay ahead.

Day 6 was a run up through Switzerland and onto the B500 in the Schwarzwald, didn't see any polizei, although it pissed down most of the time and it was a Tuesday :nenau
We ended up in a wonderful hotel in Saarbrucken with a pizza place and bar just down the road. Drank some beers and talked shit with a couple of German biker locals.

Day 7 included a stop at Bastogne, the foxholes at Bois Jaques, Dinant and a cabin in the woods nr Maubeuge.

Day 8 and home at last. The tunnel again was a breeze after filling in the forms on Eurotunnels website once the covid tests were done. Ohh, and we now get a stamp in the passport from French customs. Met a lovely bloke called Ben on the way back, 78 years old from the Isle of Wight. He'd not had his rallye long but had been out visiting his mate in the south of France.

All in all it was 8 countries in 8 days and just over 2000 miles, it's my 3rd tour down that way and i reckon in June i'm going to try the Harwich to Holland ferry then Arnhem, Mohne dam, Berlin, Auschwitz, Stalag Luft 3, Colditz castle and home.

Good to see you finally made your trip; i've been round alot of the routes and places you mention at some time or another;; was old Fritz still cramming people into the big copper lift that takes yo up to the nest;:D; i dont know about you but for me it was the most terrifying part of the vist; he was just waving more and more in; i did'nt think it would get us of the floor; i was ready to try and get people out so i could get out; needles to say; i walked back down;:D

Good to see you finally made your trip; i've been round alot of the routes and places you mention at some time or another;; was old Fritz still cramming people into the big copper lift that takes yo up to the nest;:D; i dont know about you but for me it was the most terrifying part of the vist; he was just waving more and more in; i did'nt think it would get us of the floor; i was ready to try and get people out so i could get out; needles to say; i walked back down;:D

Thanks for quoting the pics again:D

I was first in the lift to go up to the tea house at the Eagle's Nest. I couldn't resist waving the other tourists in with ... "Going up! Rhineland, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland ..." :D

I've also been three times, over the past 6 years :blast

One scary bus ride the first time, thought we were gonna die over the cliff.

Cracking report.

I'm glad it just wasn't me that didn't enjoy the bus ride up 😯

I was first in the lift to go up to the tea house at the Eagle's Nest. I couldn't resist waving the other tourists in with ... "Going up! Rhineland, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland ..." :D

I bet you remember the old aswell;; come; come; :D

No, not too busy, thanks to Covid :D
The lift is impressive eh, as we stood there in the ante room waiting for it we could imagine the iconography that the room must have once had on the wall.

That was a good read. Thank you for posting it up .. nice piccies too. Another place to add to my listy. :)

I will be there beginning of August, looking forward to it.
but that bus ride sounds like a brown trouser moment.... hate edge of cliff rides, im not good with heights either.

Back
Top Bottom