Sell me on an F700GS

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a lovely bumble bee F650GS SE, 2012 with low miles.

However I have the opportunity to change to a very late 2017 F700GS with all the bells and whistles.

Should I?

Talk me into or out of swapping.

TIA
Rich

I sold my F700GS and don't miss it at all. I found it to be rather 'meh'. Lacked any sort of 'oomph' when needed and vibrated like hell. I have ridden and owned the 800S, ST and currently the GT versions with the 800cc engine and couldn't really fault them. I would be tempted by a 800GS but would never get another 700. I prefered the 650 Versys that I had as my bimbling around local Welsh roads bike, despite it lacking a centre stand and attachable luggage.

I sold my F700GS and don't miss it at all. I found it to be rather 'meh'. Lacked any sort of 'oomph' when needed and vibrated like hell. I have ridden and owned the 800S, ST and currently the GT versions with the 800cc engine and couldn't really fault them. I would be tempted by a 800GS but would never get another 700. I prefered the 650 Versys that I had as my bimbling around local Welsh roads bike, despite it lacking a centre stand and attachable luggage.

I really can’t complain about my F650, it’s got a booster plug fitted and pulls really well, still returning over 70mpg.

My jury's really out on the swap.

Test ride a Tenere 700, you may like it or maybe not

I’m very happy with the little F650 and whilst not actively seeking a change I just wondered whether there might be any significant benefits of getting a younger bike (5 years) with a few extra factory options.

I've got the same model baby GS in the back of the garage too - rarely used TBH, but with only 8k, it's immaculate & reliable but I guess lack of use signals that the time will soon come when I need to move it on.

Having tried a 700 for a few days a while back, shortly before the 750 appeared, the only benefit I could really detect was the improved front brake response from the twin disc set-up. Otherwise, performance is pretty similar, as you would expect. Personally I would hold off as the 700 doesn't move the agenda forward sufficiently in my book, but the choice is yours - get a few test rides organised & see what floats your boat; there are plenty of other options out there too.

I went from an 08 F650gs to a 2016 F700. I see it as a real improvement, the fuelling is smoother and the front forks are much better. I rarely notice the extra front disk as I didnt feel the 650 was under braked.
The red frame looks nice and I used the opportunity to go for a low chassis model. Being a LS my bike doesnt have ESA or any other riding modes so its more of a direct comparison.

Nice chassis, terrible engine. The 750 is worlds better in both respects, which is why I bought one!

Nice chassis, terrible engine. The 750 is worlds better in both respects, which is why I bought one!

As a previous owner of F650GS/700GS/800GT/800GSA I would agree - my 750GS is a much nicer all round bike. Conversely if I were after a GSA I would get the 800GSA as the 850 is very top heavy and far uglier :thumb

Back
Top Bottom