Example of a UK bike purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your memory is failing you. Up till about 1979/80 the Irish pound was exactly the same value as sterling because it was guaranteed by sterling. Different coins and notes but sterling circulated freely in Ireland. We has aspirations of greatness and broke away from sterling and let the Irish punt float freely on the world market. For a brief period the punt soared above sterling and we had to devalue as our exports became too dear. Ever since that our currency and later the euro has floated below sterling. The only things that are dearer here are cars and bikes and beer. Of course our beer is real and not the watered down stuff you get over there. Most English people have a good time here. And I certainly have a good time there. JJH

It was always cheaper to pop over the border and fill up and buy stuff ;)

Hi all,
In case anyone was wondering, a friend of mine purchased an eighties Jap bike on Ebay and brought it back by trailer from the UK last week.
I was most curious to see how he got on as regards the importation of the bike and the charges that were applied.
First of all he was stopped by customs getting off the boat and told that he should have employed an agent to do the paperwork. The agent would have issued him with an MRN number that would have allowed him straight through. The payments below having being made to the agent beforehand.
After a quick internet search he managed to source the said agent in Dublin who was most helpful despite it being in the evening time.

Below are the figures that the agent used for the calculation.

Purchase price of bike €1285.47
Ferry ticket (one way) €206
6% duty on the above €89.50
23% vat on the above €363.68
Payable to Customs €453.18
Agent fee €100
Total €553.18

Does anyone have an example of an NIRL import or know how much of the above charges apply? If any?

Franm? May I suggest you close the thread? It's attracting the same ignorant (qv "ill mannered and ill informed") bollox we've suffered from for years in other sections of the forum.

Franm? May I suggest you close the thread? I am a sore loser in brexit, we need to cancel those we don’t agree with. Silence the debate

Well that seems more accurate.

Well that seems more accurate.

Thus proving my point. This is the Ireland section. A simple post aimed at getting info and thereby helping other Irish riders with importing bikes has been turned into the usual drivel. Show some good manners and restrict yourself to the Politics section on the main site. There's a huge Brexit thread there and you can distort my views there as much as you like. Feel free to start your very own thread even.

Thus proving my point. This is the Ireland section. A simple post aimed at getting info and thereby helping other Irish riders with importing bikes has been turned into the usual drivel. Show some good manners and restrict yourself to the Politics section on the main site. There's a huge Brexit thread there and you can distort my views there as much as you like. Feel free to start your very own thread even.

Thanks Pete

Sent from my T781 using Tapatalk

Someone from Dublin mentioned brexit in the thread ;)

Who made you the prefect

Who made you the prefect

Who made you the prefect

You are a pathetic excuse of a man. You said it was good that Irish people no longer find it financially viable to purchase a motorcycle in the Uk due to the extra taxes And now you are trying to backtrack. Just crawl back under the nearest rock you fool.

You are a pathetic excuse of a man. You said it was good that Irish people no longer find it financially viable to purchase a motorcycle in the Uk due to the extra taxes And now you are trying to backtrack. Just crawl back under the nearest rock you fool.

It is a good thing, that we now set our own trade rules. So dry your eyes princess.

If that means some pay more then so be it.

I don’t suppose you want to be under British rule again, just like we don’t want to be ruled by the EU.

Not a person to be truffled with

Attachments

• Pig.jpg
    Pig.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 113
It is a good thing, that we now set our own trade rules. So dry your eyes princess.

I don’t suppose you want to be under British rule again, just like we don’t want to be ruled by the EU.

The price increases are not caused by any action by anyone in the U.K. their simply customs and excise duty. Same when you want to import anything subject to the U.K. customs and excise. Complicated sometimes by the distinction between Great Britain and the United Kingdom. It has to be said that the majority of the people in the U.K. voted for it. It would seem that what is a minor inconvenience for us in the EC is somewhat more troublesome for your good selves. JJH

The price increases are not caused by any action by anyone in the U.K. their simply customs and excise duty. Same when you want to import anything subject to the U.K. customs and excise. Complicated sometimes by the distinction between Great Britain and the United Kingdom. It has to be said that the majority of the people in the U.K. voted for it. It would seem that what is a minor inconvenience for us in the EC is somewhat more troublesome for your good selves. JJH

Some us didn't. Only 37% of the voting public did. That’s why it was rushed through with all the negative consequences:(

Less of the ‘we’.
Many of ‘us’ didn’t vote for chaos and nationalistic fervour.

Some us didn't. Only 37% of the voting public did. That’s why it was rushed through with all the negative consequences:(

Even less wanted to remain, and the rest didn’t understand the question or weren’t fussed one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom