Example of a UK bike purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
In case anyone was wondering, a friend of mine purchased an eighties Jap bike on Ebay and brought it back by trailer from the UK last week.
I was most curious to see how he got on as regards the importation of the bike and the charges that were applied.
First of all he was stopped by customs getting off the boat and told that he should have employed an agent to do the paperwork. The agent would have issued him with an MRN number that would have allowed him straight through. The payments below having being made to the agent beforehand.
After a quick internet search he managed to source the said agent in Dublin who was most helpful despite it being in the evening time.

Below are the figures that the agent used for the calculation.

Purchase price of bike €1285.47
Ferry ticket (one way) €206
6% duty on the above €89.50
23% vat on the above €363.68
Payable to Customs €453.18
Agent fee €100
Total €553.18

Does anyone have an example of an NIRL import or know how much of the above charges apply? If any?

Im 99.99% sure duty is calculated on price + shipping + VAT

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If buying from GB get an agent or enjoy a new hobby or..

If importing from NI ensure its registered before Dec 20 to just pay VRT....as long as it meets nmt requirements

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Franm,
Thanks for taking the time to do that. :thumb2

Makes getting a Bike in from the U.K. so much less attractive than pre brexit times. :(

Franm,
Thanks for taking the time to do that. :thumb2

Makes getting a Bike in from the U.K. so much less attractive than pre brexit times. :(

Good.

You too can leave the EU if you vote to do so. You know it makes sense.

Purchase price of bike €1285.47
Ferry ticket (one way) €206
6% duty on the above €89.50
23% vat on the above €363.68
Payable to Customs €453.18
Agent fee €100
Total €553.18

Thanks for this detail -

do you know if 6 % duty is related to age of bike ? i.e. can it be higher than 6 %

VRT on top as normal ? in this instance would not matter but on younger bike would add to cost.

Good.

You too can leave the EU if you vote to do so. You know it makes sense.

Yeah that’s going well for you isn’t it. I love the arrogance and delusion You wanted brexit and boy do you have it!

Life is sweet at the moment

I'm delighted for you. However, it does say a lot about you that you think it's good that Irish people no longer find it financially viable to purchase a bike from the UK post brexit. It is quite good entertainment watching the UK break down and Daily Mail readers like yourself, well, you are the gift that keeps giving. Have a lovely day.

I can’t understand why anyone in Great Britain would consider it good that we in Ireland are priced out of the market. After all we did buy a lot of your old bikes. Van loads. I’d say that the price of second hand bikes over there has dropped as a result. Great if your a buyer. Not so good if you have one to sell. I’ve bought a few myself over the years. JJH

I can’t understand why anyone in Great Britain would consider it good that we in Ireland are priced out of the market. After all we did buy a lot of your old bikes. Van loads. I’d say that the price of second hand bikes over there has dropped as a result. Great if your a buyer. Not so good if you have one to sell. I’ve bought a few myself over the years. JJH

I dont think anyone thinks that.

the price is what it is, its a free market. If things in the UK are too expensive then buy elsewhere. When ireland changed to the euro, it was a lot more expensive to visit. That didnt stop me, i just accepted, hey its not my country do what you want.

I .........I’ve bought a few myself over the years. JJH

Likewise - but to quote William (Haw Haw) Joyce; "Germany calling, Germany calling"

Attachments

• DSC_0126 (2).jpg
    DSC_0126 (2).jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 189
I dont think anyone thinks that.

the price is what it is, its a free market. If things in the UK are too expensive then buy elsewhere. When ireland changed to the euro, it was a lot more expensive to visit. That didnt stop me, i just accepted, hey its not my country do what you want.
Your memory is failing you. Up till about 1979/80 the Irish pound was exactly the same value as sterling because it was guaranteed by sterling. Different coins and notes but sterling circulated freely in Ireland. We has aspirations of greatness and broke away from sterling and let the Irish punt float freely on the world market. For a brief period the punt soared above sterling and we had to devalue as our exports became too dear. Ever since that our currency and later the euro has floated below sterling. The only things that are dearer here are cars and bikes and beer. Of course our beer is real and not the watered down stuff you get over there. Most English people have a good time here. And I certainly have a good time there. JJH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom