Tyres on a new bike?

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After the short ownership of my first GS 1200 I’m considering a brand new GS 1250.

This is a question I could ask the dealer of course but I thought I’d be able to find out on here. (I haven’t bought a brand new bike in many years)

What tyres come as standard?

I’ve no use at all for nobblies or even semi off-road, I just need a good road tyre.

Do I get a choice of on/off road or have I just got to take what I’m given?

Are the standard tyres any good?

After the short ownership of my first GS 1200 I’m considering a brand new GS 1250.

This is a question I could ask the dealer of course but I thought I’d be able to find out on here. (I haven’t bought a brand new bike in many years)

What tyres come as standard?

I’ve no use at all for nobblies or even semi off-road, I just need a good road tyre.

Do I get a choice of on/off road or have I just got to take what I’m given?

Are the standard tyres any good?

Have you spoken to a sales rep ?

Usually, there is a choice between tires with either a bit coarse pattern or tires that favours a hard surface. Type of tyre may vary from year to year. But they are all black and round, and I think most respected brands serves the purpose quite well, making the rider the limiting factor.

My dealer usually orders the bike with the street tyres unless the customer asks otherwise. But, at least in my case, the question do come up during the contract setup.

Speak to the dealer, it will come with what it comes with. My GSA came with A41s but other bikes in the showroom had A41s, anakee adventures, anakee 3’s

The dealer is very unlikely to know what tyres are fitted until the bike gets delivered to them. Once there, if you don't like the tyres, have them change them for your preferred rubber.

As Fluffmeister said speak to the dealers, when i bought my 1250 GS i advised that i didnt want gold wheels (this was pre wheel colour being an option) and i didn't want Anakee 3s. Dealer offered me the Adventures which i took and thought they were fine.

As Fluffmeister said speak to the dealers, when i bought my 1250 GS i advised that i didnt want gold wheels (this was pre wheel colour being an option) and i didn't want Anakee 3s. Dealer offered me the Adventures which i took and thought they were fine.

Did they swap them out for free?

It is a lottery what tyres are fitted, it comes down to what the factory have purchased

I can't wait for the Anekee's to ware out on my new GS, so I can fit 100% road tyres. I hate the noise from the front with Anekee's.

I can't wait for the Anekee's to ware out on my new GS, so I can fit 100% road tyres. I hate the noise from the front with Anekee's.

I had the very same problem and following my dealers recommendation fitted Metzeler Tourance Next. The difference is quite profound. Tyre noise has virtually gone, handling is crisp but stable and most noticeably the ride in general is much smoother. We will see how all this goes as the tyres wear. I'm just about to leave on a 10,000 Km ride to Spain and beyond which should be a good test ;-)

From very recent experience - last week - it appears to be either BT A41s or Anakee Adventures, of which the dealers have no control over what comes on the bikes. I wouldn't have chosen the A41s as I loved the Road 5s on my 1200 but I simply can't fault them. More evidence that with some very notable exceptions, tyres are all in our heads.

tyres

I found Anakee Adventures to be much better and quieter than Anakees 3s. Good enough to keep until worn. Will probably fit Road 5s when time comes, as for road use found better than both Anakees.

It's rare to get a new bike with rubbish tyres nowadays. The last one I had was a VFR750 in 1994 with Michelin A/M89 that were Bakelite.

the woodster has the right of it in that you will not get a choice but you will be fine with any of the usual suspects

if you really do not want the tyres that arrive on the bike then ask the dealer if there is another new bike in stock (unlikely in the current situation) with the same wheels but different rubber and get a swap.

Was expecting mine being fitted with Bridgestone A41's or Anakee 3's but no, picked it up today and it is fitted with Anakee Adventure tyres

On my new GSA and my new 1250 GS I supplied road tyres (Michelin for the 1250) to the dealer and they fitted them - I then sold the OEM tyres on here :thumb

Whatever it comes with will be fine for fast (or slower) road work.

Enjoy! :thumb

My new GS triple black arrives at my home on Thursday never even seen it so no idea what tyres are on it. I’m fairly sure they will be more than adequate. Will post an update on the make.

Michelin Anakee adventure 80 /20 tyres on the new bike.

Attachments

• B3BCB9A0-2C9E-41BD-9EA8-3305787F7121.jpeg
    B3BCB9A0-2C9E-41BD-9EA8-3305787F7121.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 357
Collected mine Tuesday - Bridgestone Battlax!

Back
Top Bottom