1250GSA SOS?

Hann

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks, new UKGSER user here...

After many years of admiring the GS`s i bought an older Hexhead earlier this year to try out.
I didn`t like it...... i loved it!
In fact, i liked it so much i now have a new 1250GSA TE on order to be delivered either late this year or early next (delay due to suspension factory being shut down due to floods apparently..)
Anyway, the reason for this enquiry is as follows: after ordering the bike and agreeing on price/spec etc i was given the invoice. A bit spendy but there you go, i did get some `free` options included in the deal.......
A few days later i received a further invoice via email from the admin folk at the dealers to which had been added the SOS emergency call option (+£300).
After enquiring as to why this had been added when i hadn`t even discussed or considered it i was told that `all GS`s from now on will have that option fitted`....
Is this correct, or have i been the unwitting victim of a cunning plan by the salesfolk to regain some of the margin they lost when i insisted on the free luggage items to be included in the deal?
It`s certainly not a dealbreaker, but i`d just like to know if they`ve been completely `transparent`...
Cheers,
Hann.

It’s either an option or it’s standard fitment. Can’t be both. If it’s standard it should have been included in the purchase price.

It’s either an option or it’s standard fitment. Can’t be both. If it’s standard it should have been included in the purchase price.

This is what i`m thinking, too.
If it is standard fitment with all new GS`s from now on then the increased list price to allow for it should not be the same as the current `optional extra` cost.
I fear i have been told porkies, which is not condusive to a harmonious dealer/new customer relationship..

I picked up my brand new 1250 GSA on Thursday, no SOS button. Was never discussed or suggested, just as well as I wouldn't have added it and certainly not paid £300 for it.

I’ve just put a deposit down on a GS.

I didn’t spec the SOS as it’s an option I don’t want.

However the salesman (from recollection) said that any bikes built (not ordered but built) after the end of this year have the SOS as standard but the base price goes up £300.

He’s pretty clued up so I’ve no reason to disagree with him.

Edit. According to Mrs S who was also there at the time the cut off date is 1st Dec for the build. Anyway it’s not when you pay for it but when it’s actually built

^^^^^So it does sound kosher then as my build/delivery will not be until late this year or more probable early next year.
It`s BMW that have been sneaky then by adding a gizmo that they will fit to all bikes and raising the list by 300 quid.
Scotsrick, when is your expected delivery date?

I also had it on my new GSA. When i said i didnt want it i got the same answer. I also have 1 year BMW accident / breakdown recovery. My concern is they will be pushing me to renew the SOS call service after this expires unless its an indefinite service? My guess it has to be linked to some sort of gps or phone network in order to work and that comes with a subscription.

I was told the exact same story when I ordered mine in August 2019. The fact that they’re still using the same story 2 years later would suggest it’s sales bullshit to extract more money from the customer to increase their financial turnover figures.

I initially ordered mine without the SOS feature as I didn’t want to spend £300 on something I wasn’t really bothered about. That was accepted at the time of the order without comment. A week later they came back to me saying they were all being built with SOS as standard now and if I really didn’t want one with SOS it would have to be a special order which could delay the arrival of my bike by a couple of months. I was very keen to have the bike on 1st Sept so I caved. Maddening to hear they’re still pulling the same con trick today.

It would have been late Nov / early Dec I think but I’m a fair weather biker and it would just have sat in the shed so I put it off till the new reg in March.

My RT came with it. I didn't want it but was told the colour I wanted was in short supply but they had one that had SOS fitted.
And yes I had to pay for it but i wasn't that bothered as I don’t like waiting.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they were not getting a kick back from the airtime provider or which could be more likely, got an upfront kickback for a promised amount of connections and they are falling short on that.

If you fancy having a wrangle with them you might try saying something along the lines off - How much of the £300 is for the hardware that is fitted to the bike and how much is for the subscription/airtime and if you get a breakdown say well you can fit the hardware but I’ll give the subscription a miss ta very much. If they don’t give you a breakdown ask how much the renewal subscription is and say it must be that then :D

My concern is they will be pushing me to renew the SOS call service after this expires unless its an indefinite service?

I think you'll find it's a one-off cost when the bike is registered - no subscription.

I think you'll find it's a one-off cost when the bike is registered - no subscription.

Yup, same as bmw cars. Various other subscription services need to be renewed after the third year but SOS is for the lifetime of the car, so long as the comms setup in the car isn't superseded e.g. as could be the case with some cars for 3G cut-off.

It's an option I'm happy to pay for for extra peace of mind, but fully understand why others might not.

It uses regular phone networks vs Iridium ?

I ended up buying a garmin mini inreach for when the proverbial hits the fan....we're not always in coverage...

I sold my 18 plate GS due to the continental sos function issues that were never resolved. Drove me insane!

so is sos to be used in the event of an accident or a breakdown or both.

my bike came with it when new 16 months ago, i was not charged for it .and to honest i have never used that big red button.

Had it on the last 2 GS's, as they were both in dealer stock bikes

Never needed it but I did press it once to see if it worked - Spoke to a very nice guy who was happy that I was only testing it

Supposed to work like this:

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/engineering/detail/Safety/ecall.html

Example in the FAQ's

The intelligent emergency call can be used in any emergency situation. For example, if you witness an accident, you feel unwell, the vehicle is faulty or you require other services.

Hi folks, new UKGSER user here...

After many years of admiring the GS`s i bought an older Hexhead earlier this year to try out.
I didn`t like it...... i loved it!
In fact, i liked it so much i now have a new 1250GSA TE on order to be delivered either late this year or early next (delay due to suspension factory being shut down due to floods apparently..)
Anyway, the reason for this enquiry is as follows: after ordering the bike and agreeing on price/spec etc i was given the invoice. A bit spendy but there you go, i did get some `free` options included in the deal.......
A few days later i received a further invoice via email from the admin folk at the dealers to which had been added the SOS emergency call option (+£300).
After enquiring as to why this had been added when i hadn`t even discussed or considered it i was told that `all GS`s from now on will have that option fitted`....
Is this correct, or have i been the unwitting victim of a cunning plan by the salesfolk to regain some of the margin they lost when i insisted on the free luggage items to be included in the deal?
It`s certainly not a dealbreaker, but i`d just like to know if they`ve been completely `transparent`...
Cheers,
Hann.
With my 2023 gsa te (just taken delivery) the sos came as standard. As, like most people, I would not have paid for it.

Havent used it on the bike but have used it on a couple of cars, its a fantastic service and a real godsend if you do crash.

Back
Top Bottom