FLYWHEEL

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike is a 1976 R75/6
I am going to be removing the gearbox soonish and Mikeboy is going to refit it for me. When the box is out I will remove the clutch and replace as necessary.
My question is when the clutch is out is it sensible to remove the flywheel and replace the rear seal and oil pump cover seal?
If so is it necessary to fit the newer style oil pump cover/screws and anybody know where I can get a tool for fitting the rear seal cheaper than the £49 Motorworks want for it?

This was covered recently on another forum, general consensus was if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Snowbum has a screed on these seals, and he makes it sound easier than it is - even following his instructions I had two pick up on the way in, seems current seals are not the same size as the OEM!

Bike is a 1976 R75/6
I am going to be removing the gearbox soonish and Mikeboy is going to refit it for me. When the box is out I will remove the clutch and replace as necessary.
My question is when the clutch is out is it sensible to remove the flywheel and replace the rear seal and oil pump cover seal?
If so is it necessary to fit the newer style oil pump cover/screws and anybody know where I can get a tool for fitting the rear seal cheaper than the £49 Motorworks want for it?

I did mine in the summer and whilst you're in there do the gearbox input seal as well. I used the new double lip crank seal and an updated oil pump cover. I bought the tools from Cycleworks in the USA; you'll need a flywheel lock tool as well and their seal tool is a puller and a press which worked spot on with no issues. Even if you don't replace the clutch you can clean it and the flywheel up properly. Snowbum gets a bit nerdy, but type in Brooks garage and he does a how to with pics. The biggest part of the job is cleaning the housing and don't forget to block the crankshaft, I use a strap on the alternator which works a treat. Good luck.

Thanks for the youtube links, I have watched all of the 90/6 series and as an Airhead newbie they are really helpful/informative.
I have decided to go ahead and do the work over the winter just got to collect a few things first.
Hopefully picking up a rear seal puller from Cycle Works in the states in November when visiting daughter.
Cheers

Started the job and just removed the flywheel, the o seal fitted made it really tight !!
Looking at the oil pump cover and it has been updated to the new type with hex head bolts so my question is when replacing the bolts are they put in dry or with some blue Loctite and also what torque would you use to tighten them up to?
Cheers
Paul

Started the job and just removed the flywheel, the o seal fitted made it really tight !!
Looking at the oil pump cover and it has been updated to the new type with hex head bolts so my question is when replacing the bolts are they put in dry or with some blue Loctite and also what torque would you use to tighten them up to?
Cheers
Paul

Blue loctite and 72 inch/lbs. Polish the flywheel where the crank seal sits (may have a groove worn in it) to a smooth finish.

Back
Top Bottom