Front brake light switch or not

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Pretty mundane I know but have had a search and from what I can gather bikes made pre 1986 do not have to have a front brake light switch for MOT, can anyone confirm this for me please?

Ask as refurbing the master cylinder on recent R80 1984 and notice it does not have one and looks like it never has.

Cheers all

My 1983 built (and 1984 registered) R80ST DOES have a front brake light switch.

I presume this was from the factory, but as I didn’t own it from new, I only speak as I have found

Bubb

Does anyone know if it's an MOT necessity as On mine it looked grubby enough in that area that it may never have had one or if so not for a very long time?

MOT inspection manual: motorcycles
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
Published
20 May 2018
Updated:
26 August 2021, see all updates
Search this manual
Search
Contents
4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment
Headlamp, position lamps, stop lamps, direction indicators, rear registration plate lamp, rear reflector and direction indicator ‘tell-tale’ rules and inspection for motorcycle MOT tests.

Show all sections
4.1. Headlamps,
Show
this section
4.2. Front and rear position lamps,
Show
this section
4.3. Stop lamps,
Hide
this section
4.3.1. Presence, condition and operation
All stop lamps must be inspected. If you do not think the stop lamp is connected, you do not need to test it.

Stop lamps are not needed for motorcycles that:

do not have front and rear position lamps
have had front and rear position lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
cannot exceed 25mph
was first used before 1 January 1936
was first used before 1 April 1986 and has an engine capacity of less than 50cc
Motorcycles, with or without a sidecar, can have one or two stop lamps.

Additional stop lamps, over and above the requirements, must be tested. However, if you are not certain that they are connected, you should give the benefit of this doubt.

If a motorcycle does not have a battery or the battery does not have enough charge, you must run the engine to be able to inspect the stop lamps.

A ‘light source’ means any bulb, LED or other means of emitting light.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

Defect Category
(a) Stop lamps:

(i) with a multiple light source up to 1/2 not functioning
(ii) missing, inoperative or in the case of a multiple light source more than 1/2 not functioning
(iii) all missing or inoperative

Minor
Major
Dangerous
(b) A lens defective:

(i) which has no effect on emitted light
(ii) such that the emitted light is adversely affected

Minor
Major
(c) A stop lamp:

(i) not securely attached
(ii) likely to become detached

Minor
Major
4.3.2. Switching
Motorcycles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must have a stop lamp that switch on from both brake controls. However, a small number of motorcycles first used from this date were approved with the stop lamp switching on by only one control. You should fail the stop lamp only if you are certain that it was originally manufactured to switch on from both controls.

All stop lamps should light up immediately when the brake is applied and switch off immediately the brake is released.

Additional stop lamps, over and above the mandatory requirements, must be tested. However, if there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given.

Defect Category
(a) A stop lamps:

(i) switch does not operate in accordance with the requirements
(ii) switch with a delay in operation
(iii) does not illuminate by the operation of both brake controls or remains on when the brakes are released

Minor
Major
Dangerous
4.3.3. Compliance with requirements
You must test all stop lamps.

Stop lamps are not needed on motorcycles that:

do not have front and rear position lamps
have front and rear position lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
Solo motorcycles and a motorcycle and sidecar need to have only one stop lamp.

The stop lamp should be mounted on the centre line or to the offside of the motorcycle, disregarding any sidecar fitted.

Additional stop lamps, over and above the mandatory requirements, must be tested. However, if you are not certain that they are connected, you should give the benefit of the doubt.

Stop lamps must emit a steady red light.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

Switch on the stop lamps and operate all the other lamps in turn to see if the stop lamps are adversely affected.

Defect Category
(a) A stop lamp:

(i) position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements
(ii) not showing a steady red light or has significantly reduced light intensity

Minor
Major
(b) A stop lamp adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp Major

Darn that's still confusing.

So does a pre 1986 motorcycle have to have two brake switches or is a rear enough for the MOT?

Reading the rules, it seems that the rules on 2 brake light switches are from 1 April 1986 onwards.
So your R80ST only actually needs 1 switch to pass the mot.

Personally I would refit the front brake light switch for safety as it’s only a small part, and not exactly difficult to source (motorworks) or to fit.

Darn that's still confusing.

So does a pre 1986 motorcycle have to have two brake switches or is a rear enough for the MOT?
My interpretation is if it had two switches as originally designed, ie fore and aft, they must both work as described irrespective of age. If I bike was manufactured before that date it didn’t have to have a front switch.
This came up in a discussion I had with a MOT tester on one of my Vespas. It was registered in 2005 in the UK as an import but manufactured in 1981 so doesn’t need a front switch as it was never fitted with one.

Back
Top Bottom