Dual Sport tyres

xantamisch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

Currently have Metzeler Tourance on a triumph 1200 Scrambler. I'm guessing these would fall into the 70 / 30 on off road category? I don't trust them on anything remotely damp but could be 'cos I'm a coward!

Looking for something with a bit more off road grip. Would a Pirelli Scorpion STR be a bit more off roady, or similar? Michelin Annakee Wilds look pretty aggressive, look as they'd be pretty iffy on road though. Conti TKC 70 maybe?

Or any other recommendations?

thanks

You need to get your head around stuff, Tourances are absolutely fine, on road, in the wet. Off road? Other than dry fire tracks forget it.

TKC’s are ok off road as long as you’re not talking gloopy mud, drop the pressures and you’ll be surprised. On road, once worn in a bit, they are far better than they have any right to be (wet or dry).

Andres

I'd have put a tourance at 90-10 and the TKC 70 at 80-20
Are you planning to ride off road or just want off road looking tyres ?
I've had 2 sets of TKC70s and as Andre says, they are brilliant on road (Africa Twin 1000)

Ooops, sorry, just re-read the post. When talking about TKCs I meant TKC80s…….very different from 70s but my comments still stand, they are remarkably good road tyres wet, or dry :thumb2
And yes, the 70s are fine on road.

Andres

thanks - conti's look a good option for some off road then

if TKC70 is 80 / 20 guess TKC80 would be 60 / 40 or 50 / 50?

where would pirelli scorpion STR or Annakee Wild's sit on this scale?

I've just replaced the Anakee 3s on my 1200 GSA with TKC70s. Only done a few miles on them since fitting but the feel very good. Significantly quieter than the A3s and good grip. If i were you i'd try and expand your comfort zone a little, i always had Tourances on all my previous GSAs and they are brilliant both in the dry and the wet.. Easy to get the edge of yer boots on the black stuff with the bike banked over, always confident with them..

it's off road in the wet I don't trust the Tourances, not on road. Should have been clearer!

A lot of people like the Mitas E07 which I've seen described as a 50/50. I have them fitted to my AJP PR7 and they seem to be very good wet or dry on the road but that is a much lighter bike and I haven't yet had the chance to try them in muddy off road conditions. They are great on forest service roads. Boatman on here has a BMW twin cam 1200GS and reckons they are excellant on that. They are suppossed to have a much better mileage range than TKC 80's.

Annakee Wilds on the 1250 - love them.
MotoZ on the 701are good - on the 690 are lethal. Really odd.
Trackers are the best I've used for dual duty. Ridiculously cheap, wear well for what they are too.

Another shout for TKC 70, I'm very impressed with them

Maybe look at the TKC 70 Rocks. Only available as a rear midway between the tkc70 and 80.

Just used it with a tkc 70 on the front for a 4K trip with some gravel roads. Found them really good on and off-road albeit on lighter bike.

Annakee Wilds on the 1250 - love them.
MotoZ on the 701are good - on the 690 are lethal. Really odd.
Trackers are the best I've used for dual duty. Ridiculously cheap, wear well for what they are too.

Annakee Wilds look to me like they’d be ‘orrible on road but you obviously find them fine?

Back
Top Bottom