The Chinese really are coming

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Most of us remember when British bike enthusiasts bemoaned the new Jap crap... which in a very short space of time turned out to be rather good.

This latest bike from China, I think, moves things on significantly in terms of the advances being made in that country's bike manufacturing

Because Zongshen has a relationship with Piaggio, this bike's frame and engine are derived from the Aprilia Shiver.

So it's built around sound and proven designs, and in my opinion the styling (which will of course always be subjective) competes with bikes from Japan and Milwaukee. Yes it's a concept bike so it won't look exactly like that when it hits the showrooms, but still, it's interesting.

How long before we have a 'Chinese Bikes' section?

Attachments

• Zongshen-Cyclone-RA9-01.jpg
    Zongshen-Cyclone-RA9-01.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 493
  • Zongshen-Cyclone-RA9-02.jpg
    Zongshen-Cyclone-RA9-02.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 491
  • Zongshen-Cyclone-RA9-03.jpg
    Zongshen-Cyclone-RA9-03.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 496
  • Zongshen-Cyclone-RA9-04.jpg
    Zongshen-Cyclone-RA9-04.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 498
Considering how far they have come in the last 20 years , from cheap and very chatty Japanese 125 clones to building BMW engines.

reminds me of this (bar the exhaust / funny wheel)

think its styling reminds of this.

Attachments

• cr1.jpg
    cr1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 357
They are making major strides forward and just as the Japanese did they will at some point be manufacturing bikes that are competitive in styling, function, quality, equipment and in price. The Japanese, European and US manufacturers need to beware, a storm from the east is on the horizon and it won't be long in coming.

If it’s made to Western quality standards that’ll be reflected in the price, if it’s dirt cheap then dirt’s what you’ll get.

My concern will be the quality controls implemented to ensure external suppliers are up to scratch because I’ve seen some real shit come out of China but I’ve also seen some very high quality goods such as MacBooks that were made in China though nobody ever said MacBooks are cheap.

If it’s made to Western quality standards that’ll be reflected in the price, if it’s dirt cheap then dirt’s what you’ll get.

My concern will be the quality controls implemented to ensure external suppliers are up to scratch because I’ve seen some real shit come out of China but I’ve also seen some very high quality goods such as MacBooks that were made in China though nobody ever said MacBooks are cheap.

Exactly this^^^^

Yep we'll just have to see.

It will be interesting to see whether they're happy to continue to play in the cheap and cheerful market, or whether they genuinely want to challenge the better manufacturers in which case they'll have no choice but to raise the quality.

Consumers are just too well connected nowadays for a poor value product to survive. Time will tell.

a certain WUN from another place seems happy with his MG e-SUV made in China so they are getting there more with cars.

From the same place, the oh so lovable Steve H has a Chinese Benelli TRK502 which seem to have a bit of a cult following. He bought it from my local ex-Yamaha dealer who seems to be quite busy selling Chinese made stuff, mostly scooters from other once famous European brands like FB Mondial. The Benelli looks the part but once you lift it off the side stand you realise it is made from girders welded together as it is incredibly heavy. It will be interesting to see what this new Benelli sports tourer is like if it ever materialises.

a certain WUN from another place seems happy with his MG e-SUV made in China so they are getting there more with cars.

From the same place, the oh so lovable Steve H has a Chinese Benelli TRK502 which seem to have a bit of a cult following. He bought it from my local ex-Yamaha dealer who seems to be quite busy selling Chinese made stuff, mostly scooters from other once famous European brands like FB Mondial. The Benelli looks the part but once you lift it off the side stand you realise it is made from girders welded together as it is incredibly heavy. It will be interesting to see what this new Benelli sports tourer is like if it ever materialises.

Like Iron Bru; made from girders;:D

My guess is that for a while they will try to have a foot in both markets: cheap and cheerful, and European quality. In the end they’ll have to drop the cheap and cheerful because someone else will come along with lower labour rates.

Back
Top Bottom