Parador Fuente de

I stayed there a couple of nights in 2018. I wanted to take the cable car up the mountain and generally have a day off the bike after a few days touring around from my previous base. The setting is lovely. The building is not terribly attractive unlike some of the more historic Parador. Food was okay but not memorable. I certainly had much better food on that trip in more modest places.

Ok, it feels like 14 miles, even though it's 8-10 miles:blast

I have stayed at the Hotel Del Oso, many times..........the most recent about 5 years ago, and the first time was in the mid 1990's (long before the UKGSER massif, discovered it)

or "I have stayed at Del Oso a couple of times" which is it? and 8 miles is 8 miles not 14 miles :D

Excellent.
Seriously, if you can, do that loop I highlighted above.
The AS-114 is stunning as is the well known Potes-Panes road.
The NE-625 south from Cangas DO is also brilliant and of course leads over then mountain to Riano, but I prefer turning left on the LE-2711 to ride over Posada de Valdeon.

I have done that loop before and i will be doing it again

TBH i thought i had the Picos out of my system and was going to look elsewhere but the SF deserves to be let loose there so ....

The Potes to Rianno road will be epic on the SF

I have done that loop before and i will be doing it again

TBH i thought i had the Picos out of my system and was going to look elsewhere but the SF deserves to be let loose there so ....

The Potes to Rianno road will be epic on the SF

It’ll be epic !!
The roads further west are even better.
Roads such as the LU-530 from Lugo to Fonsegrada

d1962fd5a437fc13a7a381c69f8e2a7d.jpg

and the ZA/LE-125 from Puebla de Sanabria to Castrocontrigo is utterly stunning.

Zero traffic , often new tarmac and very grippy . Can’t go wrong ( unless you what vegetables with dinner :)) )

Personally I have grown to prefer Cangas de Onis, as a first/last stop, largely because the weather has always managed to let us down at Potes or Fuente De. Hail, heavy rain or just fog, sometimes all three with a bit of sleet thrown in.

I really must try again sometime & work out something to appease the weather gods.

You’ll not be missing out by saying at Fuente De.

A couple of years ago I tried to book Del Oso but not possible so did Fuente de, got it in the neck from the others because of the dead end aspect.
In fact it is a superb start to the day, gets you in the right state of Mindanao you set off and allows you to cool down or enjoy a final blast depending on your mood at the end of the day.
Cable car is a must, food is really quite good, rooms fine.
Del Oso is also great and perhaps a little less formal but both good places to bed down.

We stayed there a few weeks ago, when we couldn’t get in to del Oso, absolutely no problems, nice room, great food, but given the choice we would choose del Oso.

The Parador at Fuente De isn’t a particularly special building. What you get inside re the food etc is Parador and the location is superb from a scenery point of view.
The cable car up the mountain is worth a trip, especially without all your bike gear on.

Cangas is better if you’re going to use the hotel as a base.

Yep I would agree with the above. Its a nice one nighter but not 3 days as we did. Also its top money for a parador

Parador Fuente De

It’s great there & we got free booze, well according to one of my buddies who says the barmaid fancied him. Of course no woman will ever fancy him as much as he does himself.
Great food, fantastic view & story of cable car is brilliant.
No one will regret staying there

Have a good trip, I have stayed at the Funte De Parador a couple of times, once with the ‘biker mates’ and last time with the Mrs and, as above, nice corner room overlooking the mountains and the cable car, good food, drinks in bar a bit expensive but that was to be expected.

Just a tip, if you haven't used the Paradores before, join the Amigos/Friends programme, ideally before you book ............ https://www.parador.es/en#

You get various preferential deals/offers, a welcome drink & free garage space if/when available.

Back
Top Bottom